Published on 7 Jan 2008 by D. Simmons

1.0 out of 5 stars Potty trained in one week....who is she kidding?
Published on 21 May 2008 by crewcutandnewt

5.0 out of 5 stars If your child is ready to be potty trained this book WILL work!!!!!, 7 Jan 2008
D. Simmons - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my daughter was 2, and I felt under pressure (from other mums) to start potty training. Using Gina Ford's easy to understand criteria, it was clear that she was no where near ready to potty train. When she was 2 and a quarter we looked at the book again and I gave it a go. In 3 days we were both totally stressed out and I decided it was time to go back to nappies. 6 weeks ago (aged 2yrs 9 months), she fulfilled all the criteria - following the instructions in the book she was completey dry in 4 days (has had two accidents since then) and completely clean in 3 weeks. This book does work BUT it's crucial to follow Gina Ford's guidance on "readiness" (can they tell wet from dry, can they dress and undress themselves without your help, can they follow simple instructions). If your child isn't ready, it will take much longer than a week.... oh, and YOU have to be ready too!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gina Ford Does it Again - Super Book, 17 Dec 2010
AlexKrycek "I Believe..." (Sheffield - England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My wife loves any book by Gina Ford - and this one is no exception. I think she now has four books in total - al relating to differing aspects of my daughters life.

I will be upfront - she has a certain style about her that you will either love or loath (Gina Ford that is...not my wife)! What Gina Ford is trying to do is balance the needs of the baby and supporting you as parents. All her books seem to be written in a military style - and you must conform!

This book is no exception. However, it provides you with some wonderful and sound advice - and my wife is delighted with the hints and tips. The book is easy to read and pleasing on the eye in that you can read the book cover to cover in an hr or so.

Very precise but if you follow through with the advice, you get lots and lots of time back. As I say, please be aware, you have to be religious in what you are doing, and if you deviate from the advice, it can be disastrous.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God For Gina Ford !!!, 22 April 2005
I was at my wits end about potty training. My son was 3yrs old and was not at all interested in the potty. I tried all the tips the Health Visitor gave me, leave the potty for him to get used to, don't pressure him, let him do it in his own time. That's all very well, but when your son is about to start Pre-School and they won't accept him unless he is clean, you start to panic. And i did ! Then i happened to spot a book in a leaflet "Potty Training In One Week by Gina Ford". I was sceptical but desperate to try anything that might possibly work. I read the book in the evening when the children were in bed, and then resolved to embark on Stage Two the following day. That was a week ago now. And at the end of day two we had no accidents and he was fully clean during the day. And as from day five he is now dry at night time. I am amazed with this book and would strongly recommend anyone to try it. In fact, I think this book should be given out by all Health Visitors and available on the NHS !!!! Thank You Gina Ford you have made a stressed out mum in Swindon a very happy, proud and contented one.

5.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense approach, 22 April 2009
R. Turner (uk) - See all my reviews
I've recently bought this book - my son isn't yet ready to be potty trained but I wanted to to be ready for when that day comes. The advice looks like common sense to me - I think the way crtieria is set out to allow you to know whether your child is ready to be trained is great and so I won't even begin to attempt it until my son meets these. I bought the book because I have many of the other books in Gina Ford's contented baby series and so far Gina Ford has never let me or my little one down - be it sleeping , eating or all the other aspects of raising a baby / toddler. Therefore I trust that this advice too will work just as well and reading through it, it has all made as much sense to me as all the other books have and I don't feel as daunted by potty training as I did before reading this. I will update this review when we have put it into practice!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Potty trained in one week....who is she kidding?, 21 May 2008
You can't fault her style or clarity, but this book should come with a sanity warning. The programme probably does work but (and this is a big but) your child has to be ready and predisposed to the Gina Ford technique. We had followed a lot of her advice in Contented Baby etc and so were pretty positive about it, but, ended up having to abandon the Gina Ford way of potty training because of the tantrums and tears (and not just the baby's). To be fair, the book makes it clear you can potty-train in one week...but only if your child is ready. And there's lots of good advice on familiarising your child with what will happen and sensible comments on how parents need to prepare themselves too. But nothing really your health visitor couldn't tell you or which you couldn't get off the net. And I think there's another caveat. Your child has to have the "right" personality. My son is very wilful and we abandoned the Gina Ford technique on our third attempt. Her answer would probably be "well, then he isn't ready," but at nearly 3 he should be (our health visitor agrees and, believe me I have devoted weeks to it pretty much full time). All following the Gina Ford method has achieved (apart from making us feel bad)is a power struggle and we are now having to back-track and try to undo some of the damage. No doubt it works well for some, but they're probably the kids who would be easy to potty train in any case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top tips!, 9 July 2009
I would recommend this potty training book to any parent who is about to undergo the joy of potty training their child!

I didn't follow the guide to the latter, I tailored it to suit my child and our family, however, it did give me some great tips and advice on when it is best to start and the clues to look for. This is my 3rd time round of potty training and although i thought I had it quite sussed, I have experienced various problems both times with my first 2 children. This book has taught me things I didn't already know and i would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatful Help for all mums ready to give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 14 Jun 2005
By A Customer
I was all ready to give up on potty training my 30 month old daughter. I had tried everything ( singing potty, floating toys, colouring water!!) then I saw this book in ASDA one night and at less than £4 I thought it was worth a go. Fantastic!!! It really does what the title says, she was potty trained within the week. The first two days are where the hard work comes in but by day three you start to see light at the end of a long tunnel and the happiness my daughter and I felt was amazing. The good thing about this book is that you have something to refer to, I never felt like I didn't know what I was doing as I had the book and it gave me the confidence to carry on. I highly recommend this book and only wish I had found it earlier!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for a model child - if not, save your money!, 6 Mar 2004
Daveyvegas (Bray, Co. Wicklow Ireland) - See all my reviews
I found this book too perscriptive - fine if it worked but I found that my daughter "fell off the wagon" on day 1 and there was little advice as to what to do if things didn't go according to Gina's plan. It has some good ideas (like the star chart, guidelines to when they are ready for training) but I feel that it can put too much pressure on you as a parent. She suggests on day 1 to sit your child on the potty every 15 mins for 5 to 10 minutes at a go - you would need a very placid child to go along with this! My daughter just about got the idea at 31 months but it was still hit and miss and it was just before her third birthday when the penny dropped (or her bladder was ready!) and we cracked it. If you need advice - use a search engine - there is plenty of good advice for free on the net so save your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars It all seemed too easy..., 16 Oct 2009
L. MacNeil "lesley72" (Kingston upon Thames) - See all my reviews
... and it was. I was really nervous about potty training but I followed this book and it worked. The key thing is to be sure your child is showing the signs of being ready and not be put off by early accidents.

The book is pocket sized, easy to read and tells you exactly what to do when things don't exactly go to plan.

I found that even those people who shy away from Gina Ford's feeding and sleeping routines were able to follow this book with ease and readily recommend it to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Discontented Big Mother, 12 April 2006
Yes, I tried her method to toilet train my son (nearly three) on the potty. And it ended in tears for both of us. I know many mothers worship Ms Ford but I found her approach inflexible, prescriptive and unrealistic. I did my best to follow her advice to the letter but it involved putting the two of us under house arrest and no amount of bribery, love or encouragement would persuade my son to even sit on that potty. In the end he was running away from it like a scalded cat. What angers me about the Ford approach to this and all other aspects of child care is that she presents her advice as fool-proof: that means that when you fail, naturally, you feel like a fool. What is the point of a parenting manual whose strictness actually works against a mother's intuition, de-skilling her and making her mistrust her own judgement?

Potty Training In One Week