Published on 7 Jan. 2008 by D. Simmons

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, but didn't work for my son
I bought this book, did everything it said, started training when it said i should, and it didn't work. That was approx 2 months ago and my son is still not clean.
Published on 28 Dec. 2005 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars If your child is ready to be potty trained this book WILL work!!!!!, 7 Jan. 2008
D. Simmons - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my daughter was 2, and I felt under pressure (from other mums) to start potty training. Using Gina Ford's easy to understand criteria, it was clear that she was no where near ready to potty train. When she was 2 and a quarter we looked at the book again and I gave it a go. In 3 days we were both totally stressed out and I decided it was time to go back to nappies. 6 weeks ago (aged 2yrs 9 months), she fulfilled all the criteria - following the instructions in the book she was completey dry in 4 days (has had two accidents since then) and completely clean in 3 weeks. This book does work BUT it's crucial to follow Gina Ford's guidance on "readiness" (can they tell wet from dry, can they dress and undress themselves without your help, can they follow simple instructions). If your child isn't ready, it will take much longer than a week.... oh, and YOU have to be ready too!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God For Gina Ford !!!, 22 April 2005
I was at my wits end about potty training. My son was 3yrs old and was not at all interested in the potty. I tried all the tips the Health Visitor gave me, leave the potty for him to get used to, don't pressure him, let him do it in his own time. That's all very well, but when your son is about to start Pre-School and they won't accept him unless he is clean, you start to panic. And i did ! Then i happened to spot a book in a leaflet "Potty Training In One Week by Gina Ford". I was sceptical but desperate to try anything that might possibly work. I read the book in the evening when the children were in bed, and then resolved to embark on Stage Two the following day. That was a week ago now. And at the end of day two we had no accidents and he was fully clean during the day. And as from day five he is now dry at night time. I am amazed with this book and would strongly recommend anyone to try it. In fact, I think this book should be given out by all Health Visitors and available on the NHS !!!! Thank You Gina Ford you have made a stressed out mum in Swindon a very happy, proud and contented one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good suggestions even for twin boys - but still edited details to suit us best, 19 July 2013
My twin boys will be 3 in a few days and they were potty trained in 3 days (twin 1) and a week (twin 2), mostly thanks to this book. I read two books on the subject over 3 months ago, and this one gave me the best suggestions - it is important to follow what we feel most comfortable with and what works for our kids.
What I liked most about this book - the structure, ideas with consistency (e.g. Not confusing kids with off-nappy hour, and then putting them back on a nappy), and clarifications about readiness and what may help children to overcome fears, etc. I'd say that Gina's point that when the child is showing the signs of being ready to potty train, the child then moves on to pants (day time) and does not have the option to put a nappy back on except the minute before bedtime, after a last visit to the potty/toilet. Other books suggest a period of transition between nappy and pants and I observed that my boys got irritated with that and always refused the suggestion to go nappy free. After a first and a second attempt at potty training 3 months ago, we chose a suitable weekend to stay at home and dedicate devoted attention to potty training and the boys, when even preparing meals were second in order of priority. It was extremely stressful for twin 1 to start with, and it made me feel my patience was exhausted, but I kept the calm look as much as I could to support the most anxious twin. On day 2 things seemed to be smoother, no splashing accidents!! Both twin boys were using the potty for urine (no. 1) and both were retaining faeces (no. 2). At the end of day 2 twin 1 had an accident with no. 2, but from Monday on words, day 3 and beyond, he managed to go to the potty every time he needed, having no more accidents. He did have a couple of days retaining no. 2, but Mango sorted him out. Twin 2 is ok for no. 1, always asks to go to the potty, but he has some fear of no. 2 (calls it the blob) and sometimes he waits for it to start coming out in his pants, before he accepts to be sat on the potty. Being a different child to his twin, this must be respected. Reading Pirate Pete to him and showing him that The boy eventually does do poo in the potty has been a helpful encouragement to him.
Conclusion - even though I initially resisted buying Gina Ford's book, due to her known strict manner of schedule, I found her advice far more helpful and sensible than what other authors suggest. I did not follow her strategy strictly, and edited ideas to suit me and my kids - instead of a week of prep before Day 1 of potty training, we did 3 weeks of prep - getting the boys used to the routine of visiting the potty after dinner and eventually, both after breakfast and after dinner. This way they became wel used to the new routine before DAY 1. I didn't ask the boys to sit on the potty every 15 mins on day1, as ths would drive everyone mad, but I had the potties with us and asked them regularly if they needed the potty. As they were ready for the potty training, they knew how their body told them they needed the potty and they also managed a few seconds of retaining time. As time has progressed they became better and better at waiting for the suitable time to go to the potty.
My general advice - I waited for my boys to show the several signs they were ready for the transition from nappy to pants, and also wanted them to have enough language to communicate with me & Dad. Many people I know started potty training their boys months before I did and I have seen people trying to potty train kids as young as 18 months. Each to their own, but it was very important to me that my boys were able to both understand me AND BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE well with me, being able to say for example that they had a sore belly, or that the poo is trying to come out but can't (maybe is too dry, after 2 days retaining), etc. potty training needs to be done with much empathy for the toddler, patience and attention, as when done in more traumatic circumstances, or under stress due to difficult communication, it can have a negative impact on the child's well being (eg. Self-esteem, insecurities) in the future.
The pottete (portable potty with plastic disposable sacks) has been of much, much help, as when ever we go out, the boys can go on the potty anytime (toilets are not available everywhere!) and I always have a clean potty for them to sit on. Our next step is to get them to use the toilet and to accept both the potty and toilet, as it suits. The pottete is also good to use in public toilets, as it can be used as an adapting toddler seat, cleaner than sitting on the public seat. I don't mind carrying this potty with me for a few months, if it means my boys don't have to go through the stress of not having anywhere to do pee or poo, or having to visit dirty toilets.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, but didn't work for my son, 28 Dec. 2005
Please don't misunderstand - i think the advice given in this book is good, and the book is written in a easy to read style. However i just thought i would point out that it doesn't always work 'in a week'.
Hence three stars for the good (but unsuccessful) advice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Discontented Big Mother, 12 April 2006
Yes, I tried her method to toilet train my son (nearly three) on the potty. And it ended in tears for both of us. I know many mothers worship Ms Ford but I found her approach inflexible, prescriptive and unrealistic. I did my best to follow her advice to the letter but it involved putting the two of us under house arrest and no amount of bribery, love or encouragement would persuade my son to even sit on that potty. In the end he was running away from it like a scalded cat. What angers me about the Ford approach to this and all other aspects of child care is that she presents her advice as fool-proof: that means that when you fail, naturally, you feel like a fool. What is the point of a parenting manual whose strictness actually works against a mother's intuition, de-skilling her and making her mistrust her own judgement?

4.0 out of 5 stars no miracles here just commonsense, 28 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
If you already have "from contended baby to confident child"do not buy this, as the information is just repeated with just a few added case studies. If not, then this is probably the potty training book to buy. Gina as usual, has great advice and it does work eventually. Were still in the starting blocks but its given us hope for our stubborn but intelligent 34 month boy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for a model child - if not, save your money!, 6 Mar. 2004
Daveyvegas (Bray, Co. Wicklow Ireland) - See all my reviews
I found this book too perscriptive - fine if it worked but I found that my daughter "fell off the wagon" on day 1 and there was little advice as to what to do if things didn't go according to Gina's plan. It has some good ideas (like the star chart, guidelines to when they are ready for training) but I feel that it can put too much pressure on you as a parent. She suggests on day 1 to sit your child on the potty every 15 mins for 5 to 10 minutes at a go - you would need a very placid child to go along with this! My daughter just about got the idea at 31 months but it was still hit and miss and it was just before her third birthday when the penny dropped (or her bladder was ready!) and we cracked it. If you need advice - use a search engine - there is plenty of good advice for free on the net so save your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Working for me, 1 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
My son is 4 and starting school in September and was still in nappies until 3 days ago. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. Buying this was a last resort for me however I wish I would have bought it last year! I found the book very helpful and it seemed to point out where I was going "wrong". It is full of useful tips to help you. Day 1 - all I did was follow my son around cleaning up the wee (the book suggests you take them to the toilet every 15mins but there was no way he would do this) and by the end of the day he had done 3 wees on the toilet and 8 on the floor! Day 2 - I was quite shocked, he got up and put himself on the toilet and had a wee. At lunchtime he had a wee just as he reached the toilet! And for the rest of the day he was dry. Day 3 - No puddles to clean up!!! He is so proud we are going shopping tomorrow to buy a present for being such a good boy!
Hopefully that is the end and he will go to school the same as the others. I am now going to give it a month and start on my younger son!
I would recommend this to anyone who is struggling!

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, 7 Aug. 2006
I bought this book because I thought that I would be able to potty train my 2 year old in one week from start to finish. In fact, you have to go through a preparation stage and this can take much longer than one week. Consequently, in that respect the title, in my opinion, is misleading. It should be "Potty Train in One Week providing the Child is Really Ready".

Other than that, the advice is mostly common sense and practical. I have not succeeded yet but hopefully once stage one is out of the way, I will be able to finish potty training within a week, as the book promises.

3.0 out of 5 stars Potty training Do It Yourself style, 27 April 2003
By A Customer
This book contains many valuable pointers not only on potty training, but also on behaviour management in general. It is easy to read with simple language and clear narrative. However, I found myself irritated at the author, who seems never to miss a chance to plug her other book. The book reads almost as a DIY manual, with step by step instructions and dire warnings about deviated from the "right way". I found it prescriptive and if you like that sort of thing, this book will definitely help you with potty training.
I just think that we need to be careful when dictating parenting to other people. This author has very clear views about what is and is not acceptable. She seems to imply that the child must be potty trained within the week or else one has failed, and I cannot agree with this. What is the problem if it takes longer? Surely such pressure would be counterproductive?
I also found the authors' smug self-satisfaction quite irritating. She delights in regaling the reader with anecdotes about when she triumphed over a challenging behavioural problem. I'm sure the stories are true, but still nauseating when written in a "me wonderful me" manner.
However, in spite of that, there are very good pointers for when you are struggling with potty training and this book is worth reading, preferably before you start training your toddler.

Potty Training In One Week