Published on 7 Jan 2008 by D. Simmons

1.0 out of 5 stars Potty trained in one week....who is she kidding?
Published on 21 May 2008 by crewcutandnewt

5.0 out of 5 stars If your child is ready to be potty trained this book WILL work!!!!!, 7 Jan 2008
D. Simmons - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my daughter was 2, and I felt under pressure (from other mums) to start potty training. Using Gina Ford's easy to understand criteria, it was clear that she was no where near ready to potty train. When she was 2 and a quarter we looked at the book again and I gave it a go. In 3 days we were both totally stressed out and I decided it was time to go back to nappies. 6 weeks ago (aged 2yrs 9 months), she fulfilled all the criteria - following the instructions in the book she was completey dry in 4 days (has had two accidents since then) and completely clean in 3 weeks. This book does work BUT it's crucial to follow Gina Ford's guidance on "readiness" (can they tell wet from dry, can they dress and undress themselves without your help, can they follow simple instructions). If your child isn't ready, it will take much longer than a week.... oh, and YOU have to be ready too!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gina Ford Does it Again - Super Book, 17 Dec 2010
AlexKrycek "I Believe..." (Sheffield - England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My wife loves any book by Gina Ford - and this one is no exception. I think she now has four books in total - al relating to differing aspects of my daughters life.

I will be upfront - she has a certain style about her that you will either love or loath (Gina Ford that is...not my wife)! What Gina Ford is trying to do is balance the needs of the baby and supporting you as parents. All her books seem to be written in a military style - and you must conform!

This book is no exception. However, it provides you with some wonderful and sound advice - and my wife is delighted with the hints and tips. The book is easy to read and pleasing on the eye in that you can read the book cover to cover in an hr or so.

Very precise but if you follow through with the advice, you get lots and lots of time back. As I say, please be aware, you have to be religious in what you are doing, and if you deviate from the advice, it can be disastrous.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God For Gina Ford !!!, 22 April 2005
I was at my wits end about potty training. My son was 3yrs old and was not at all interested in the potty. I tried all the tips the Health Visitor gave me, leave the potty for him to get used to, don't pressure him, let him do it in his own time. That's all very well, but when your son is about to start Pre-School and they won't accept him unless he is clean, you start to panic. And i did ! Then i happened to spot a book in a leaflet "Potty Training In One Week by Gina Ford". I was sceptical but desperate to try anything that might possibly work. I read the book in the evening when the children were in bed, and then resolved to embark on Stage Two the following day. That was a week ago now. And at the end of day two we had no accidents and he was fully clean during the day. And as from day five he is now dry at night time. I am amazed with this book and would strongly recommend anyone to try it. In fact, I think this book should be given out by all Health Visitors and available on the NHS !!!! Thank You Gina Ford you have made a stressed out mum in Swindon a very happy, proud and contented one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Potty trained in one week....who is she kidding?, 21 May 2008
You can't fault her style or clarity, but this book should come with a sanity warning. The programme probably does work but (and this is a big but) your child has to be ready and predisposed to the Gina Ford technique. We had followed a lot of her advice in Contented Baby etc and so were pretty positive about it, but, ended up having to abandon the Gina Ford way of potty training because of the tantrums and tears (and not just the baby's). To be fair, the book makes it clear you can potty-train in one week...but only if your child is ready. And there's lots of good advice on familiarising your child with what will happen and sensible comments on how parents need to prepare themselves too. But nothing really your health visitor couldn't tell you or which you couldn't get off the net. And I think there's another caveat. Your child has to have the "right" personality. My son is very wilful and we abandoned the Gina Ford technique on our third attempt. Her answer would probably be "well, then he isn't ready," but at nearly 3 he should be (our health visitor agrees and, believe me I have devoted weeks to it pretty much full time). All following the Gina Ford method has achieved (apart from making us feel bad)is a power struggle and we are now having to back-track and try to undo some of the damage. No doubt it works well for some, but they're probably the kids who would be easy to potty train in any case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top tips!, 9 July 2009
I would recommend this potty training book to any parent who is about to undergo the joy of potty training their child!

I didn't follow the guide to the latter, I tailored it to suit my child and our family, however, it did give me some great tips and advice on when it is best to start and the clues to look for. This is my 3rd time round of potty training and although i thought I had it quite sussed, I have experienced various problems both times with my first 2 children. This book has taught me things I didn't already know and i would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatful Help for all mums ready to give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 14 Jun 2005
By A Customer
I was all ready to give up on potty training my 30 month old daughter. I had tried everything ( singing potty, floating toys, colouring water!!) then I saw this book in ASDA one night and at less than £4 I thought it was worth a go. Fantastic!!! It really does what the title says, she was potty trained within the week. The first two days are where the hard work comes in but by day three you start to see light at the end of a long tunnel and the happiness my daughter and I felt was amazing. The good thing about this book is that you have something to refer to, I never felt like I didn't know what I was doing as I had the book and it gave me the confidence to carry on. I highly recommend this book and only wish I had found it earlier!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It all seemed too easy..., 16 Oct 2009
L. MacNeil "lesley72" (Kingston upon Thames) - See all my reviews
... and it was. I was really nervous about potty training but I followed this book and it worked. The key thing is to be sure your child is showing the signs of being ready and not be put off by early accidents.

The book is pocket sized, easy to read and tells you exactly what to do when things don't exactly go to plan.

I found that even those people who shy away from Gina Ford's feeding and sleeping routines were able to follow this book with ease and readily recommend it to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Discontented Big Mother, 12 April 2006
Yes, I tried her method to toilet train my son (nearly three) on the potty. And it ended in tears for both of us. I know many mothers worship Ms Ford but I found her approach inflexible, prescriptive and unrealistic. I did my best to follow her advice to the letter but it involved putting the two of us under house arrest and no amount of bribery, love or encouragement would persuade my son to even sit on that potty. In the end he was running away from it like a scalded cat. What angers me about the Ford approach to this and all other aspects of child care is that she presents her advice as fool-proof: that means that when you fail, naturally, you feel like a fool. What is the point of a parenting manual whose strictness actually works against a mother's intuition, de-skilling her and making her mistrust her own judgement?

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent source of great advice on potty training, 2 July 2007
C. Burcombe "Colin and Anna" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
My 2.5year old daughter was potty trained in less than a week. From this book I learned how to make sure that she was infact ready to start potty training and followed Gina's techniques and advice. Potty training was a lot easier than I expected it to be. In this book you will find a wealth of tips, suggestions, practical solutions and many stories of how some problems were overcome.

Invaluable

5.0 out of 5 stars Working for me, 1 Aug 2004
By A Customer
My son is 4 and starting school in September and was still in nappies until 3 days ago. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. Buying this was a last resort for me however I wish I would have bought it last year! I found the book very helpful and it seemed to point out where I was going "wrong". It is full of useful tips to help you. Day 1 - all I did was follow my son around cleaning up the wee (the book suggests you take them to the toilet every 15mins but there was no way he would do this) and by the end of the day he had done 3 wees on the toilet and 8 on the floor! Day 2 - I was quite shocked, he got up and put himself on the toilet and had a wee. At lunchtime he had a wee just as he reached the toilet! And for the rest of the day he was dry. Day 3 - No puddles to clean up!!! He is so proud we are going shopping tomorrow to buy a present for being such a good boy!
Hopefully that is the end and he will go to school the same as the others. I am now going to give it a month and start on my younger son!
I would recommend this to anyone who is struggling!

Potty Training In One Week