5.0 out of 5 stars A great read
A really interesting and well-written book, containing so much more than the usual autobiography Full of laughs, anecdotes and by the last page you are sorry that there isn't more! An engrossing read from the first page - recommended (providing you aren't too easily offended by a "warts and all" account)
Published on 6 May 2010 by Jaylizbee

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather boring.
Always liked Bob Monkhouse and have several of his DVD'S which have been most enjoyable. Was looking forward to reading this book, but was rather disappointed, in fact it didn't hold my interest at all and I was skipping through the pages wanting to like it, but not, unfortunately, succeeding. Sorry Bob.
Published 8 months ago by Delphine Dean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 6 May 2010
Jaylizbee (Shoreham, Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny, 21 July 2010
I was never a huge fan of Bob Monkhouse but a friend had this book on holiday and kept reading bits out to make us laugh. When I got back I ordered a copy and it had me giggling from start to finish. Its great to read about such a consumate professional who took his craft very seriously and cheered millions of people in the process. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a gameshow host., 10 May 2008
Most of my memories of Bob are as a gameshow host but I did realise he was funny because of his adlibs and general interfacing with contestants, some people thought he was a bit smug but you could tell that he was razor sharp when it came to comedy, this book opened my eyes to just how funny he was and to the fact that he had a whole career before my era as a gameshow host, though I do remember him doing a sort of chatshow where all the guests were comedians. This book deals with his whole life and reveals a lot of stuff of which he deals with quite candidly, from the ladies he has known to the frightening experience with Frankie Howerd, from his brush with the law for nothing more than having a private collection of films which nearly cost him his freedom to his ill fated nightclub he pulls no punches, a good read about a man who in my opinion was terribly undervalued.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crying with Laughter, 28 Mar 2011
I really enjoyed this book. I grew up watching Bob on the Golden Shot and always loved his stand-up sense of humour, he was such a very intelligent man. Following his last stand-up set to his peers shortly before he died which I loved watching and realised how great he was I decided to read his book. This book has everything and will keep you enthralled throughout, I was sad when it finished and really sad when Bob died, we have lost a great STAR!!!!! His recollection of all the stars and great names in showbiz he worked with over the years will baffle you. Enjoy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkhouse at his Best, 5 Feb 2013
S. Aleppo (London UK) - See all my reviews
Great book. Bought it second hand as I'm just plain mean. Honest account of Bob's life from his early life right through to the end. A lot of surprising information on himself and some of the well known faces around him at the time. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny -- even if you don't like the central subject!, 11 Jan 2006
Bob Monkhouse was a UK TV institution (and he probably would use that old gag about needing to be in one!)
Here is an autobiography of the (now late) man who was a writer/performer. And books that are written by writers are always better than those that are written by non writers. He may only have done a few failed films, cabaret and be best known for TV fluff -- but boy has he some funny stories to tell about clubland and live TV.
If I was to fault the book it doesn't get very deep in to the soul of anybody else. Not living anyway. I'd love to have known what Benny Hill was like or even what was said by Bob Hope when a microphone wasn't around - but we get little of it.
If you loved Bob Monkhouse read the book. If you don't like Bob Monkhouse read the book -- it is funny, sad and a lesson in the swings and ladders of show biz. Many lesser lights have spread their story over three or four volumes - for Bob it is the one and only. I am sure he could be just as good with the bits he missed out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just for bob monk house fans, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Crying With Laughter: My Life Story (Kindle Edition)
Ok if you are a bob monk house fan,for me to many dates,overload.
Was not a compelling read,gave up half way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and entertaining, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Crying With Laughter: My Life Story (Kindle Edition)
Well-written and evidently not ghosted, as you can hear his voice in the text. Although not my favourite comedian or show host, his story was very interesting and told with intelligent wit. A good holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master of Myrth, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Crying With Laughter: My Life Story (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant read, Bob Monkhouse was probably the Gag Masters, Gag Master. He has a sharp wit and it shows in this book. Would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Crying With Laughter: My Life Story (Kindle Edition)
This is a very interesting insight into Bob Monkhouse's life and career and is a very good read for anyone who remembers him.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›