5.0 out of 5 stars Birders - fun and factual
A book which converted me from apathy to enthusiasm, written in a deceptively relaxed style, it brought smiles, even tears, but best of all a delight in birds which has given me a great deal of pleasure. I have re-read it several times and still enjoy it.
ISBN 0099289547 Birders : Mark Cocker
Published on 11 Sep 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious
As the cover says, tales of a tribe.Unfortunately, I found the tales neither particularly interesting nor amusing. No doubt would be of more interest to the reader who is acquainted with the members of the "tribe" who are featured, but not enough to hold my attention, as an outsider.
Published 4 months ago by Silverbirch

5.0 out of 5 stars Birders - fun and factual, 11 Sep 2005
By A Customer
ISBN 0099289547 Birders : Mark Cocker

5.0 out of 5 stars A twitchers' fables for armchair moments, 7 Oct 2001
This review is from: Birders (Hardcover)
This book will sell thousands of copies because apart from dear Bill nobody has actually written much about birding and bird watchers in book form. Much of the material revolves around Cockers' friends and aquantances as well as his own experiences and travels. The writing is beautiful however and captures the books point with its style - that birding is a spiritual and a deeply personal activity. Yes there are friends, clubs, trips, equipment but in the end it comes down to moments composed of "you, the bird and the light".
More of the same please from more of us - thank you Mr Cocker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite birding book., 24 Oct 2011
anne-lise Dickie "Cladach C" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birders (Paperback)
I love all of Bill Oddie's very funny bird books and DIM Wallace's Beguiled by Birds is just so great....but Mark Cocker's book is so good it's easily my favourite....read it, I'm sure you'll find it a very interesting experience whether you like it or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars No I'm not a twitcher, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Birders (Paperback)
If you want to know what the difference between a twitcher and a bird watcher then this book might help, as its all about a group of people that go twitching all over the British Isles. It contains laughs and sadness and some usful info as well of some very intresting storys. I found it quite a enjoyable read as I know people who are like the people in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Birders (Paperback)
this is a very good book an enjoyable read to the birders and non birders good good good good good good

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Birders (Kindle Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Captures very little of the magic of birding, 7 Dec 2002
Richard Laven (Dumfries Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birders (Hardcover)
I love bird-watching and have spent many happy hours around the world behind a pair of binoculars but this book captures very little of the joy I get from watching birds. Yes it's occasionally funny and occasionally well written but most of the time it consists of little more than the birder equivalent of name dropping. I came away with a strong feeling that birding is a clique of people who feel that they are the only people who know what real birding is.

2.0 out of 5 stars fairly good read, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Birders (Paperback)
As a member of the birding community I found some bits of this book of interest, but I felt that it did not continue to hold my attention & didn’t feel addicted to the book. There were some efforts to be funny in the book which I feel did not pull off. If you are part of the birding community then I would give it a bash & see what you think, but be prepared to be disappointed. May appeal to some. If not in the birding community then I wouldn’t bother.

Birders