1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music!, 9 April 2013
Jeffrey Davis "jmd555555" (Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Symphonies Nos. 2-4;Pacific 231 etc./In Terra Pax (Audio CD)
A lovely set! I am a great admirer of both Ansermet and Honegger and this is currently my favourite Honegger CD (actually a three CD set). I think that Ansermet's performance of Honegger's 4th Symphony 'Delights of Basle' is the best one that I know. As with Barbirolli in the UK there is a warmth and humanity about Ansermet's recordings which I find greatly appealing. I have never found Honegger's 4th Symphony (usually considered the 'lightest' of the five) as moving as I do here - I can't stop playing the CD! The performance of epic 3rd Symphony 'Liturgique'- one of the greatest 20th Century symphonies - is often seen as underpowered (compared with the Karajan version on DGG) and this is its first international CD release. However, as with No 4 there is an underlying humanity about Ansermet's recording which is a more reflective reading than some others. The Karajan is terrific - especially for the beautifully poetic birdsong ending, but Ansermet's provides a valid alternative view. All the other performances are highly recommendable and the last-ditch ' Christmas Cantata' is a deeply moving work and is given a fine performance too. Great to have the original LP sleeves featured at the back of the booklet. Helpful notes and the wonderful bonus of Frank Martin's deeply moving 'In Terra Pax' written to commemorate the end of World War Two(and the companion on my old LP set of Honegger's 'King David') completes a wonderful release on Decca Eloquence.

Symphonies Nos. 2-4;Pacific 231 etc./In Terra Pax
Symphonies Nos. 2-4;Pacific 231 etc./In Terra Pax by L'’Orchestre de la Suisse Romande (Audio CD - 2013)