5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Oblivion...
I have to say that I only purchased this game as the rave reviews (from fans and critics alike) about 'Skyrim' told of a near-perfect RPG. So instead of paying the £40 for Skyrim, I bought this instead as it was cheaper and to see if I liked the genre as I am a relative novice of the sort.

What I can say is that it IS nearly perfect as it could possibly be. The...
Published on 20 Sept. 2012 by Toby Gillett

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
If they ever get round to posting it I may get to play it
Published 9 months ago by Andy Strutt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Oblivion..., 20 Sept. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition (Playstation 3) (Video Game)

What I can say is that it IS nearly perfect as it could possibly be. The starting hours are a slight drag but when your playing the game, whether it be the main quest or the guild quests, you do seem to lose the hours as you play because it is so immersive and addictive. The first 'wow' momment was when the character screen popped up and I was presented with a load of options with; race, birthsign and class to choose that makes for the character to be unique and play to the style you want. There do seem to be more benefits with some of the classes but in all honesty with the guild perks available in doesn't matter so you can pick which ever you feel is better.

Im not going to comment on the main storyline so not to spoil anything for people who haven't played the game but say that it is probably advisable to complete some guild quests and side quest first before you get to far with the main quest as some of the perks will greatly benefit you. The guilds available are; Mage, Fighter, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood. You can join as many as you like but if you want to play as a 'good' character then the guilds that benegit/accept you are the mages and the thieves while the Dark Brotherhood and thieves will help 'evil' characters. I find the guold quests more fulfilling as the perks of completing them are more rewarding in the development of your character for example, in the mages guild after you've recieve all seven of the recommendations you can go to the Arcane University and have the chance to create your own spells which I found really good. With the fighters guild you have the chance to get some good armour and weapons that help with the main storyline.

Basics in the game like; sound, graphics and controls are all top notch consideringg that the game is six/seven years old. The voice acting can be dodgy but it really is a tiny thing compared to the positives of the game. It has been said there are bugs in the game, I personally haven't experianced one but a reboot of the system should be ok.

All there is left to say is that there is a real danger of losing yourself in the richly detailed world of Oblivion and the nice bonuses with this edition of the game (map, two expansion packs and a dvd behind the making of Oblivion) make it a must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars An elder Scrolls Game, 4 Jan. 2013
Oblivion may be old, but the gameplay is fantastic. The graphics don't quite meet the modern standards, but that's made up for, in the gameplay!

Great game, and well ported to PS3.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Elder Scrolls game, 11 July 2013
Max - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Yes the graphics are outdated by a long stretch nowadays. It's also evident that there are a few clunky glitches remaining in this game. And okay the voice acting can at times leave a lot to be desired. However even as I revel in the big upgrade in graphics and presentation Skyrim offered, I can't help but still love to return to Cyrodil and continue playing in this weird and wacky world. For all its flaws Oblivion is an RPG with bags of character that you will remember long after you finish playing. From your hard fought wins in the Arena, to gaining recommendations from the guilds, to your many ventures in the gates of Oblivion.It's hard not to fall in love with this game. Both this and the original Bioshock may have dated graphics but both hold that magic that will make them classic games remembered throughout our lifetime.If you haven't played Oblivion please pick up a copy and revel in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars R.P.G at its best, 21 Nov. 2012
I love the Elder scrolls and this is just awesome... A must buy for anyone with a PS3 or Xbox 360 and this being the anniversary edition you get the lot....

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a fantastic game and I've really got my monies worth out ..., 15 Dec. 2014
Bought this last Christmas and almost one year on I've nearly completed it.
It's a fantastic game and I've really got my monies worth out of it. My only downside to this epic game is that the main story is quite repetitive compared to the what seems like endless amount of side quests. If you love RPGs I would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oblivious!!, 17 Sept. 2013
Received with thanx, great to be playing this classic once again!
Game case could've been tidier but all in all, arrived in good time, no issues!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Role play Game for RPG player, 20 Mar. 2013
I have known about this game for some time and because recently there were advert's on web pages for the up and coming online version decided would be a good Idea to Buy one and try. Well I have not been Disappointed. Massive game with plenty to do and 1 your not likely to put down once you load it up forget lunch , Dinner, Sleep , it will have you hooked.

Very Smooth Game play with Clear Graphics and easy to get around the Realm and easy to follow story line. My only Reserve if to find one would be the battle system in fighting foes. I am one that has been used to auto lock target and do the action's and win over your foes , in this game it is literally you either hit and kill or you die , there is no real way off knowing you going to hit your foe's only down side I would comment on. but Aside this once you get used to this the rest is simply Awesome.

I would compare this to games such as Lord of the Ring or Final Fantasy RPG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop criminal scum!, 23 July 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Even after Skyrim, Oblivion still stands on its own as a brilliant game and this is a near excellent port to PS3. I think it's even funnier to go back and play it now when I listen to the hilarious voice acting and just mess around in small towns.

I have shared in some of my finest and funniest gaming moments in Oblivion and there's probably still a few left to come from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it., 29 May 2013
J. Cook (ipswich) - See all my reviews
Being the playstation recluse that my teenage son has become, I bought him this for his birthday as he loved skyrim so much and he wasn't disappointed, a great game that has kept him happily occupied for hours, definitely a worthwhile purchase!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars best game ever! better than skyrim, 19 Nov. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
this game was amazing. the graphics were good for its time and the gameplay was good too. the voice acting wasnt brilliant but skyrim wasnt an improvement. this was my 1st serios rpg game since diablo two so at 1st i did struggle because i could not believe just how big this game was, so much ground to cover and different enviroments. so many quests and guilds to join. this game had me entertained for hours....no joke i played this for over 300 hundred hours! to me this will always be better than skyrim. it was so more original and more fun, i hope they make the next one more like this game.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition (Playstation 3)