‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential if you've read Tales of the City., 8 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
The second in the Tales series picks up where the first leaves off, and we welcome back all the residents of 28 Barbary Lane. Again, Maupin's style is the breezy, chatty short-chapter, presumably a result from the stories originally being featured in the SF Chronicle, and again he captures the flavour of 1970's San Francisco perfectly. If you liked the first book, you'll love this. If you didn't, steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as good as the Tales of the City, 28 Jun. 2007
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
More Tales of the City maintains the standard set in the first book as the coincidences become more bizarre and the characters reveal more of their secrets. Of the latter Anna Madrigal has some real shockers; but there is a shock of a different kind in store for the adorable Michael Tolliver; and yet another for the insufferable Beauchamp. But before that Mary Anne and the Michael go on a cruise together and neither returns empty handed. We meet some new characters and some of the old ones play a bigger part.

Very funny and entertaining, with some amateur sleuthing which involves several of the residents of 28 Barbary Lane keeping us guessing to the end, this is a most enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but run out of steam, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: More Tales Of The City: Tales of the City 2 (Tales of the City series) (Kindle Edition)
Entertaining as a slice of San F life in the seventies, though I suspect a very selective one! the books I've read so far are a kind of 'diary' narrative of a coterie of interlinked characters, based partly around a rather bohemian boarding house, giving it a rather soap opera feel. The characters are a bit self-consciously off-beat in a seventies vein and start To pall a bit for me by the third book. Maupin is very heavily reliant on small world coincidence in interlinking his various narratives and this does stretch credulity at times. Ok as sketches of human nature and interaction but limps a bit when he tries to inject a bit of mystery for me. As I say, fun to read but does run out of steam after a while. I'm now on book three and don't feel too inclined to take it any further. Believe later ones pick up his characters when some years have elapsed so that might be entertaining. Good style and convincing, witty dialogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 23 July 2013
Mr. D. P. Jay (UK) - See all my reviews
Having read the first book, we thought we'd work through the series but, so far, have only got as far as this, the second book.

Some good bits:

Mouse: I don't waste time with well-adjusted people
Frannie: The Lord doesn't have to go go
Emma: even at 59 she was not an adult
A gay old folks' home -= I suspect there will be demand for such here in the UK soon if there isn't already.
Scratch and sniff Hustler magazine
A transubstantiation cult

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm off to read the 3rd, 12 Feb. 2010
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the 2nd book in the Tales series and picks up where the first one left off. You really have to have read the first in the series as we are acquainted with all the original characters and begin to learn more about their lives. There is a strange side story following Mary Anne's new boyfriend which involves some detective work but doesn't detract from the overall funniness of the book. If you loved the first book, you'll love this one too. I'm off to read the 3rd.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love all of these., 5 Dec. 2013
I watched the series on television many years ago and enjoyed it so have bought a few of the sequels. Very enjoyable. Not gripping but I still want to know what happens to the characters.

(You don't have to be gay to enjoy the stories)

5.0 out of 5 stars Episcopalian cannibals indeed ...., 5 Oct. 2014
hairyZA (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I just find reading these stories a delight -almost effortless but in a totally comforting way almost as if I am in of the Barbary Lane family - the silent partner as it were . Can't wait to get to grips with the next book...

5.0 out of 5 stars great books, 20 July 2012
M. Ridley (UK) - See all my reviews
theses books are great, we've read them several times and recently added to our kindles. A great set of characters and good mix of story lines. Adult themes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, tense, exciting and made me cry at ..., 24 July 2014
Hilarious, tense ,exciting and made me cry at the end. The book is the second one in a series of books that are proving highly addictive...read with care !

5.0 out of 5 stars Further develops the characters weve come to love., 11 Dec. 2014
More tales takes the characters that were introduced in tales and expands their stories further interlinking them in a way that they feel almost familial.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›