5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for interviews
I use this product to record my interviews for my dissertation research. It works perfectly for what I need. Its easy to transfer the file to iTunes. I am completely satisfied with this purchase.
Published on 12 Aug 2012 by Alexis T. Gutierrez

3.0 out of 5 stars Gain a nice mic but lose the internal speakers
Published 1 month ago by JBG

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for interviews, 12 Aug 2012
Alexis T. Gutierrez (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iRig Mic Cast Ultra Compact Microphone for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad (Wireless Phone Accessory)

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful mic for ipad or phone, 29 Mar 2013
I use this mic for producing radio and podcasts from my ipad or android phone. It really does produce a better sound on both devices, and has an adjustable switch for proximity. It somewhat mutes background noise which is helpful. Pleased with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars o.k.mic., 18 Mar 2013
good mic.although a bit complicated to use. instructions don't go into enough detail. Had to go on to u-tube for instructions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gain a nice mic but lose the internal speakers, 19 Aug 2014
Some advice I wish I knew before buying this and then sending it back. Once it is plugged into an iPad headset hole the iPad switches the internal speakers off and you can no longer use them. The only way you can hear anything is to piggy-back a headset or external speaker into the headset hole on the iRig Mic. Yes that seems an obvious expectation but it defeats the purpose of buying this item for an iPad with a faulty internal microphone and still wanting to use the internal speakers for skyping etc. What would have been perfect would be to have a way of switching the iPad speakers back on with this mic plugged in but unfortunately I could find a workaround for this function.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough of improvement on inbuilt mic, 16 July 2012
Andy B (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this as I wanted to record meetings. Actually the inbuilt mic on my iPhone 4 does a pretty good job and this microphone, while an improvement, was not a dramatic improvement when used on a stand. It records much better from the front - ok you can rotate the mic - but the point is I would not say it was omnidirectional - something useful for meetings as you can stick the phone in the middle of a meeting room table. Which then questions why use it on a stand which means there is a front and back. Maybe better to lie it flat on a table. When used up close (hand held) then the quality may be slightly better than the inbuilt mic but again it is questionable, unless you are a pro, that you would notice the difference. Then again, for a pro application, I doubt you would use an iPhone as the recording device.

Product does not feel that well built. I am worried that the little switch to select hi/lo sensitivity will break over time and also to unplug the mic (to allow you to playback using the inbuilt speaker) you simply have to pull on the body of the mic to remove it. It feels like one day the mic will come off in my hand and the 3.5mm jack plug will be left in the iPhone.

Also, the marketing of this is a bit deceptive in that it says "two free apps". I took this to be a software bundle and so in effect part of my purchase. Well this is true but the apps are indeed free whether you have bought the mic or not and so there is nothing really been given away with the mic. The iRig recording app has some in app purchases that you still have to pay for and ditto for the Vocalive app which is quite expensive by app store standards.

The mic has an earphone socket and so you can monitor the recording. Probably something you can't do with the inbuilt mic as to plug in an ear phone would probably make the phone think you were plugging in a headset and cut the inbuilt mic.

Given that it is small enough to lose easily and easy enough to forget to have with you when you need it then I can see it not getting used as much as it should - especially if the fall back of the built in mic is good. On the whole one of those novelty purchases but not one of my better ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Noticeable improvement, 11 May 2014
H. Lake (Colchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Glad I bought this. There's a small but noticeable improvement in sound quality. Makes transcribing videos on YouTube a little easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 4 Jun 2014
very happy with it. okay sound for the price it cost. i wasn't after anything too fancy, and this works a treat

2.0 out of 5 stars An okay microphone for the money but negligible benefit over the inbuilt mic on an iPhone 5s, 25 April 2014
This is a cheap microphone which is reflected in the price, the build quality and the performance. It is no better than the inbuilt microphone on an iPhone 5s. I would suggest that potential buyers think carefully about whether they need such a facility or indeed if they would be better spending more on a higher quality product.

4.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointed as I have to use headphones with the microphone ..., 25 Aug 2014
a little disappointed as I have to use headphones with the microphone when I'm on facetime. This was a much cheaper alternative than replacing the internal microphone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Still haven't mastered how to use this. Was supposed ..., 15 Sep 2014
Still haven't mastered how to use this. Was supposed to link to an app but there were so many I couldn't find which one to use.