Well I'll lay my cards on the table from the start....... I've been a Weddoes fan since hearing 'Go out and get em boy' on John Peel's radio shows back in the mid 80's.

Published on 22 Mar 2012 by Rob Knight Photography

3.0 out of 5 stars not doing it for me
i'm no music reviewer...ok?
i can only say that i've loved the wedding present since 1988...really liked the way the last two albums went too (take fountain and el rey).
this one just isn't pushing my buttons (yet, at least). bit of 'mark e. smith' going on in parts, also.
fully expect this 'review' to be voted down...go on, i don't care.
sorry gedge...
Published on 21 Mar 2012 by col

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wedding Present - Valentina: The boy Gedge is back..........oh yes he's back!, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)

It's been almost four years since the last Weddoes album 'El Ray' hit the shops so to say I was eager for a new one would be an underestimate, what would Gedge give us with this offering? One things that is fair to say is that Gedge always manages to deliver a classic slice of indie everytime, always taking new twists and turns along the way but staying faithfull to the Wedding Present recipe of clasic guitars, Gedge's lyrical genius to turn the mundane and depressing into indie classics, with the end result of delivering albums crammed with songs that become live favourites quickly.

Well, Valentina does not disappoint............ infact after the first listen I was hooked. From the thumping drum intro to album opener 'You're Dead' through the eclectic yet mesmeric 'You Jane' on through stand out tracks 'Girl from the DDR' and 'Dear Caught In The Headlights' to the albums finale 'Mystery Date'.

Gedge and the Weddoes never fail to be relavent, contemporary and energetic. The tale of heart felt relationships threaded through the album are pure Gedge classics, certainly the added input from Greamme Ramsey to the writing has added yet another dimension to the Wedding Present. Where many of their peers have come and gone, after undoubtably being more commercially sucessfull than the Weddoes, the enduring brilliance and quality still burns strong within Gedge and his band mates...... the Weddoes have delivered a perfect slice of contemporary indie whilst there's little bits in there that take you right back to classics from thier past such as 'Flying Saucer', 'Brassneck' and 'Don't Talk, Just Kiss'.

If you are a Weddoes fan you will not be disappointed, if this is your first venture into the world of Gedge then enjoy the ride and be ready to be searching for the back catalogue.

'The boy Gedge done good'..............again!

Valentina

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the 80s ?, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)
The last great wedding present album was( Take fountain) ok that album was more Cinerama than weddos, but it was a great album under the Wedding Present Name. El ray was ok, but apart from ( I lost the Monkey) none of the songs really grabbed me. Valentina is the Weddos back at their best.
With tracks like (Back a bit) sounding like the glory days George Best and Tommy.although this album is no step back for the boy/man Gedge,( The Girl From The DDR) is pure and fresh power pop.
(You Jane) has a chugging intro that most new bands would kill for, for the fans of the lovelorn (Take Fountain album) you will be spellbound by the pleading track (Stop Theif). The gift and curse of Gedges work is that early on in his career he did three classic albums which he will always be judged on, well finally he has done an album which stands alongside them, raging guitars banging drums and all

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)
Wedding Present back on top - great range of songs - with good arrangements.
Would recommend this album to all WP fans and new people too.
WP are so orginal - not like most of the pap put out these days

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, it is a classic, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)
I can't say I agree with people who don't think this is as good as the early albums. One of the great things about The Wedding Present is that they do evolve, yet retain the essence of what makes them great. This album has plenty of moments that take you back to George Best, to Bizarro, to Sea Monsters but also to Take Fountain and El Rey, yet still manage to seem fresh and new and take you forward on our adventure with this wonderful band.

The best Wedding Present album is always the latest one. For a while I thought El Rey wasn't quite as good as usual, but of course I realised I was wrong after a while. It has also been a pleasure to go back to listen to Watusi again since its re-release recently too.

These songs are fantastic live too.

Gedge is an underrated genius. I could be sad for the muggles unaware of this, but I do enjoy my secret knowing Mona Lisa smile it allows me to adopt.

5.0 out of 5 stars It must be love, love, love, 11 Jan 2013
Peter Hill ""yoghurtknitter"" (Waterville Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)
Warning for potential readers: they (The Wedding Present) are without doubt my favourite band ever (they WERE my youth) so this review is going to be a bit of a cathartic ramble so you might want to avoid it!!
I've previously shied away from reviewing any of their albums as i know i wouldn't be able to find suitably descriptive words to do them justice, although i did for some reason review the vinyl version of Watusi (my least favourite Wedding Present album), but i now just wanted a chance to say how wonderful and essential they actually are for any discerning music fan.
When i say "they" i really mean David Gedge because no disrespect to the other players but he IS the Wedding Present after all.
Talking of David (i feel i can call him that after all these years?) he's such a nice bloke, he's always available at the merchandise stalls, he'll sign things and chat, he's even replied to me personally when i complained about their fan club ( i was so shocked i had to write back immediately saying i'm sorry...how sad). I just wish he'd smile more in photos...why so glum David?
My favourite album is Bizarro because for me the best thing about The Wedding Present was the frenetic guitar playing which has been mostly absent since their reformation, perhaps age or guitarist's elbow has been a hindrance, but he does tempt us/me with some on this album notably on "back a bit...stop" but it's sooo short and is followed by some peculiar (too long) feedback, why are you being so obtuse David?
What you get here is the (wonderfully) usual stories of love, loss and relationships and is probably better than El Rey or Take Fountain but, as usual, not as awesome as their hey-days but that's perhaps expecting too much and is unfair as he continually brings out music of a very high standard and i just want the good old days back.
Can't say i like the artwork either and the miniscule writing, some of us oldies need large print please, but anything from the golden pen that is Gedge must be savoured and appreciated...love the line "you abhor me, call me".
There's a thousand things i wish i'd said and done but the moment's gone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the old Wedding Present but some good songs, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)
I still crave for more of the early Wedding Present music with the endless strumming guitars and gravely lyric and so have avoided some of their more recent stuff. Based on a few reviews here, and a nostalgic yearning I decided to give this album a go. I am really glad I did. Okay - it is not Bizarro and is more like Saturnalia but there are some damn good songs on here. The lyrics are excellent - as usual - exploring the demise and pleasure of relationships and the tunes are catchy.

This is worth buying for 524 Fidelio, End Credits and Back at Bit...Stop alone but the other songs gel this into an album that I really enjoy.

My only negative is the cardboard case/sleeve the CD came in. Far too easy to tear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant return to form for Leeds' finest!!!, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Valentina (MP3 Download)
This latest Wedding Present album really is a must-have for all fans. There are so many highlights on this album which is packed with David Gedge's customary wry humour and quality rhyming couplets! Despite the totally different line-up, there are all the trademark sounds, the quiet/loud dynamics, the scratchy and crunchy octave guitar parts - everything that made Seamonsters so impressive. Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gedge does it again, 27 May 2012
This review is from: Valentina (MP3 Download)
As is typical of a new WP album, it takes a few times to listen to before you suddenly realise yet again you're hooked. Most tracks are excellent, but the real stand out ones for me are Meet Cute, 524 Fideleo and End Credits - some of Gedge's best songs ever.

Better than Sea Monsters, Watusi and El Ray...maybe not quite Bizarro and Hit Parade, but their best album since Saturnalia.

"I'm just not happy any more...and for that reason, I'm out."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but probably not one of their Classics, 28 Mar 2012
Steve Gallagher (cheltenham, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)
I've loved the Wedding Present since Bizarro (not sure how I missed the very early stuff, but have obviously bought it all since then!). This album is very much in the pattern of El Ray in my opinion, mainly relying on Dave Gedge's admittedly fantastic lyrics, as opposed to the sensational guitar driving riffs of Bizarro and Seamonsters. I really miss the wall of sound he created on those 2 albums, but it looks as though it may be gone for ever. No lengthy "wig out" guitar breaks a la Take Me or Bewitched which, to be honest, is what I've been craving the band to do for the last 20 years! Don't get me wrong, they are still the most relevant band around and this is an excellent album, which I've been playing pretty much non stop for the past week, but it sounds much more like the recent releases than the undoubted Weddoes heyday of George Best, Bizarro and Seamonsters. If you've already got those 3 though, then this is more than worth buying too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue Wedding Present album ticks all the right boxes., 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Valentina (Audio CD)
Since El Ray The wedding Present have been absent from the album world...no more, this album is freshly released and as you would expect from the 'Weddoes' sounds great with lots of gutsy guitar, lyrically superb, and as ever surprising yet familiar. Can't recommend this highly enough

Valentina
Valentina by The Wedding Present (Audio CD - 2012)