5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling
At first I was a bit confused, as the story was written in third person but occasionally interspersed with first person. However, I soon realized that the young heroin Phoenix was writing in her diary. For me personally this could have been made a little clearer, but it certainly didn't impede my enjoyment of the story. And what a story!
The author writes really well...
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by Yvonne Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars bit too predictable
Good teenage read and not much horror, just enough to fire the imagination without giving them night terrors. However, for an adult read not sophisticated or unpredictable enough!
Published 17 months ago by Mr. J. A. Armour

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 22 Feb 2012
Yvonne Lee (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Fire (Rise of the Dark Angel - Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The author writes really well and keeps the tension going from beginning to end. Her characters are so real you easily get caught up in their feelings and emotions. For example, I disliked the girl Jessica intensely. But the gorgeous dark angel Jayden, well, what can I say? I found his character intriguing and complex; again a credit to the authors writing skill.
She has a real flair for description. I could almost see in my mind's eye, the huge cave with all its rooms and passages. Being on the claustrophobic side, I struggled along with Phoenix in her dark bedroom.
In my imagination I could see the surrounding forest and feel the tension as the people went out from the safety of the cave to forage for food. I found myself getting really uptight each time Phoenix and her best friend Sadie insisted on wondering deep into the forest. I felt like shaking them! At every sound, every rustle in the bushes, I was sure enemy soldiers were about to grab them.
This was most enjoyable and I look forward to the publication of the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book by a very talented author., 6 Mar 2012
Janet34Clark (Nuneaton, Warks, UK) - See all my reviews
I totally enjoyed reading this book; it grabs you from the first page and doesn't let you go until the very end. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series; A prince For All Seasons when it is published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 8 Aug 2012
Lesley "Poppylove" (LYDBROOK, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it was FREE.
I liked that it had a different story from the norm and went along smoothly keeping your interest right to the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars bit too predictable, 25 July 2013
Mr. J. A. Armour (Moseley, Birmingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped partway through..., 26 July 2014
I haven't read this author before and sincerely doubt that I will again as unfortunately I struggled my way to 26%.

What's right with the book?

The premise of the story is extremely unique and, with a strong author, could be really captivating.

What's wrong with the book?

The author jumps around *a lot* and although it's not difficult to follow, substantial parts have been written as journal entries which feel more like the author struggled to get the story to work so used this mechanism to info-dump.

The book is written in the third person with two view points. This is quite difficult to achieve and unfortunately I don't think this author has mastered it.

The two main characters / perspectives did not capture my interest nor did they have any depth to them.

Everyone seems to be agreeable - except for Jessica - which didn't ring true in such a confined setting.

The dialouge was painfully stilted and unrealistic. I didn't feel it added anything to the story in any valuable way.

All in all, I'm glad this book was FREE.

1.0 out of 5 stars ...not great, 6 July 2013
I would not recommend this book as it lacked depth within its characters, especially phoenix who cried at EVERYTHING, it was pathetic. And how she's presented as incredibly innocent was really irritating, she was 17 for gods sake. Not a great main character. It would've been better if she was witty and a badass. Also the book wasn't great because all the characters just agreed on everything, there was no conflict within the cave as you'd probably expect in such a large community. I'm a fan of the supernatural but ths book was very simple unrealistic. Not a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed, 13 Feb 2013
I enjoyed this story, although I know it's aimed at teens I am 53. I found it an easy read, which is great to put down and pick up and get straight back into the story, I felt like I was actually there and it's an escape from our reality. I have bought book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Feb 2013
Loved this book. Fantastic the way it showed that people can turn away from the dark to make themselves better. Loved the plot and can't wait to read the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 25 Jan 2013
A very unique storyline with unexpected twists. I loved how chastity was introduced to the camp and I found that it tied in perfectly with the rest of this book. I would defiantly recommend. It's one my favourite books.

5.0 out of 5 stars midnight fire - the rise of the dark angel, 25 Jan 2013
omg i loved this book, how people will work together and fight for what is important to them, how people become close and fall in love, loved loved loved this book can't wait to read book 2