Published on 18 Mar. 2012 by Johnmcl7

1.0 out of 5 stars Need a Steam account needed for this game
Published 5 months ago by Gnome

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly fun game with a lot more depth than first appears, 18 Mar. 2012
Johnmcl7 "John" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
When Terraria was first released it was commonly referred to as a 2D version of Minecraft as a selling point with Minecraft obviously being a very successful game. At a first glance the game does seem very much like Minecraft as you have to build your own house and you have a trusty pickaxe to go digging into the ground while fending off enemies. In practice though the two games are quite different, while they've been trying to shoehorn objectives and enemies to take down the real goal of Minecraft is the construction element of it. In Terraria the goal is more RPG-like, you go digging to find better items to make better weapons and take on better enemies allowing you to go further get better weapons etc.

Unfortunately Terraria is just as bad as Minecraft to get started with and knowledge of Minecraft isn't any help in Terraria as it does everything differently. To craft items you don't arrange them on a grid, you simply need them in your inventory, you don't make a torch out of coal you have mined and wood it's made from gel (looted by killing 'blobs') and wood, to make a working building you have to build the basic structure with a 'backing' fill as well. My first few attempts at the game without any external help didn't end very well as I fell down holes and couldn't get back out again as it was too dark, it was only when I sat down and had a proper read at a guide I was able to get properly started. As you would expect there is a great Terraria wiki which has a beginner's guide that doesn't spoil the game instead just giving you the basics and helping you get going so my number one recommendation would be to read up first before playing the game. Although there's no official levelling up you do effectively rank yourself up with more powerful items allowing you to take on better enemies although again, the lack of any help with this can make it difficult as I basically missed a step and was struggling through against enemies that were too tough for my equipment but again the wiki is useful.

Whereas with the likes of Borderlands there is a virtually unlimited amount of weapons as the stats can be randomly generated, in Terraria the weapons are much more straightforward as is the armour. Some weapons you can find in chests but in most cases you forge your own armour from items dropped by enemies. There's the usual close combat weapons and also mana weapons which works well in co-op as it means you can mix your player styles. There's considerable depth to the game as you start to appreciate what you can actually forge as there's also a large potion element which goes from basic health recovery to being able to breath under water, weightless etc. I went for close combat starting off with a stabbing lance which was handy until I could start forging more powerful swords and my co-op friend went with mana weaponry he could use at range. The controls are simple as you use the keyboard to move left, right and jump then the mouse to aim your weapon. Attacking enemies is simply a case of clicking your weapon to hit them and trying to move around to avoid them hitting you. If possible I would also strongly recommend the co-op as I found the game much more enjoyable, the game is reasonably forgiving on the default softcore option as when you die you only drop half money you carry and none of your items so if you're careful there's no real penalty for death which is handy as exploring can sometimes be very dangerous.

As I mentioned at the start, Terraria is quite a different game to Minecraft which will appeal more to others but less for some. Having played Minecraft extensively and played around with mods I've become a bit bored of it plus I'm not a huge construction person so Terraria worked really well for me, I enjoyed the exploration and mining combined with constantly trying to work up to the next best set of equipment. The price for the collector's edition is a bit much unless you're a diehard fan but the standard game can be had for much cheaper and is definitely worth a look if the idea appeals at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 13 April 2012
M. doherty - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
This game is a truly amazing experience.It is a game that keeps on going. ( Unfortunately, it IS frequently compared to minecraft, but those people probably haven't done any research into the game.)In Minecraft, you make a new world, make tools,fight a few monsters, hunt for minerals & build a house.
But what then? Why, You start a new world.

But, for me, Terraria is a whole new experience. There is no game to compare it too. There is no WORD to describe the game.It's really a whole new genre all to it's own. As said before by other players, it's a combination of an RPG and Building / Adventure Game. But... There are just so many things to do! You can build a tunnel to hell(HELLAVATOR),Find all the NPC's, Adventure into the scary depths of the corruption, and infinately more. (Sorry for that bad little end, I've only played the game briefly)

The game doesn't END! (Well you can end it if you want,Which is very exciting) There are so many exciting things in this game : there are the Giant worms, eye of Chtulu, Undead miners, Demon eyes, (And thats not all!) Best of all : ZOMBIES WITH TOP HATS!

My description isnt a very good one, Im more or less just splurging on how much I love it. All by one man, Y'Know? Andrew Spinks.
I'd Reccomend this to well, Anyone.It's that widely platformed and fun, Truly Amazing.
Did I mention Goblin armys, And snowman armys with Shotguns?

As I said this is a very Vauge review, And I'm more or less just splurging on how much I love it, But for a better review, read Johnmcl7's Review, or Wtch the YouTube Series "TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox Play Terraria" -- Very funny and enjoyable.

Happy Terraria-Ing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Addictive!, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Brilliant game! I never played Minecraft so cant really compare, but It has kept me off my usual diet of first person shooters for over a year now. Stopped playing it back in September just to try to rescue some of my spare time as I have now clocked up just shy of 500 hours of game time in about ten months! I originally bought the game via Steam on a friends recommendation for £1.49 ...best game spend ever for value for money! Got the collectors addition just to have a tangible copy in my collection. Even got the girl friend playing it too for a bit. All I'd say would be, make sure you have some time on your hands because it is VERY addictive. Also, give it chance when you start out. I didn't know what to do to start with and couldn't even grasp how to craft anything, and as you only start off with a very basic set of tools & weapons, you will spend a lot of time early on just hiding in your house from the monsters that come out at night. But once you get things going and start to mine for better materials, and to develop better tools, weapons & armor, the sky is the limit... literally! Further development seems to have slowed from the games creators, but there is plenty to go at before we see Terraria 2. I really wanna play now, but have jobs to do :-( enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Need a Steam account needed for this game, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Firstly this is not a review of the game it is a review of the missleading age rating, the game is a 12, but upon receiving the game we found that the only way to install it is if you have a steam account for which the age rating is 13. If my some had been 13 I would already have allowed him a steam account and we could have bought this for him for £6.99 off Steam, as it is I have a disk my son cannot use, he is currently hoping I can sort something out using Steam Family View else I will be returning the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Not for me but, needless to say, I haven't seen my lad since this arrived!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Wow my son loves this almost as much as minecraft. Not too expensive and works well, does what it's supposed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant game and CE contents, 22 Mar. 2012
James Gibson (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Terraria is a brilliant game that has taken up over 100 hours of my life. All I can be bothered to say about the game itself is that it can keep you entertained for many hours as there is no real end to what you can build or do. The collectors edition includes two cards that are random with every game but it seems there aren't that many of different ones out there. the cards aren't very important in my view as they are basically prints of an item or character in the game with some info that any person who has played is likely to know. The keyring however is a nice addition to the package. it is made from a rubbery plastic material that is quite bendy meaning it wont break easily, the picture in the product images does not do it justice as it looks very much different. the poster is of a nice quality and is double sided, one side of the various NPCs and the other of a random landscape which I use. I don't even know how to get my pet bunny that is included so that's a very bad point but I don't play Terraria so much any more so I wasn't that bothered.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Very pleased with My Order, 2 Nov. 2013
Mr. G. Broad "Gerry Broad" (Maidenhead UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I am Very pleased with My Order. Not as good as I though it might be Minecraft is Better.
Pronpt delivery, Arrived on time Value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Terraria, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
really fun very good uploaded super quick brilliant idea for game makes a change from minecraft. strongly recommend ! !

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I've ordered this game for my 11 years old son and he loves it. Item arrived within 3 working days and brand new. I highly recommend. Thank you!

Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD)
Terraria - Collector's Edition (PC CD) by Merge Games (Windows Vista / XP)