5.0 out of 5 stars Maths in Minutes for Kindle
Excellent book summarising maths principles; I'm an old guy, wishing to refresh my understanding, and it has been ideal for that.
Published 14 months ago by David Downer

1.0 out of 5 stars None
Published 4 months ago by Christian Simond

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths in Minutes for Kindle, 28 Jan 2013
David Downer "M0GQJ" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 2 Jun 2013
Reverend John C. Cossins "John Cossins" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
I saw a copy of this book in a bookshop and looked through it expecting to be amused by an attempt to describe so many mathematical concepts in such a small volume. (I did a degree in Maths 50 years ago, but have used it very little since). Instead of being amused, I was seriously impressed by the book's ability to summarize topics and remain understandable. I have bought the book in order to help me revive my rusty memory. The price is an extra reason to commend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great format which makes math really easy to digest, 10 July 2012
Firstly, I came to this book with very little knowledge of mathematics other than the high school math I finished around eight years ago. However, I have a general interest in some of the abstract mathematical ideas, and I was also keen to expand on my knowledge for the master's degree I'm currently doing in which a little bit of math knowledge would be beneficial (although not a requirement). Given this, I didn't always find the book easy to understand, especially pages ~200 to ~300 (calculus, vectors, matrices, abstract algebra, and complex numbers), but I did find it pleasurable and quite addictive, nevertheless.

I really liked the format of the book: each of the 200 concepts is described on two pages - the first page giving a written description and the second page showing some relevant graphic or picture. There are a few slight deviations from this format where the written description spans two pages, but the general approach of the book is to describe the main properties of each concept in around 200 words. This makes the book very easy to read in short bursts. The converse of this approach is that each concept is dealt with pretty superficially, but for me personally this was not a bad thing.

Although superficial, the book didn't feel dumbed down - it doesn't shy away from using formulae, for example - and I imagine the more advanced reader might also find the book useful for recapping and seeing the connections between disparate mathematical ideas.

Although I can't really comment on the quality of the mathematics, I felt the quality of the book deserved a 5-star rating. I also think the price is very reasonable too. The only fault I can find is that some of it was a bit hard to understand, but this is probably more my weakness than the book's. Given that I enjoyed this one, I think I'll probably also buy the other two titles in the range, Science in Seconds and Big Ideas in Brief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great math book for those that like math, 20 Oct 2012
This book doesn't teach you math, there are no exercises to try, but it beautifully explains as many concepts as I can recall and many I didn't know about on a single small page. The book is half size and easy to carry, great to get out and read a couple of pages on the train. Though it says math in minutes - that is true - it takes minutes to read - you might want to ponder a while each page and think a bit more.
Great little book - but I do still like math

1.0 out of 5 stars None, 12 Dec 2013
A disappointment. Whilst efforts to introduce subjects such as maths to a wider audience in a brief and undaunting manner is an excellent dea, I thought that this was far far too brief. There are no takeaways! This is barely more than a contents page. I would far rather cover less but in slightly more detail - enough to want to find out more. I found "Alex in Numberland" by Alex Bessos managed that balance far better and I felt I actually learnt something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everthing you wanted to know about maths but didn't have time to find out about it!, 9 Jun 2013
I like this book because it covers maths in a clear and concise way. Starts by assuming you know nothing and gradually gives you all you ever wanted to know about the subject. A good book to dip into when you have a spare moment. I am reading it at a key concept a day so I am going to get real value for money out of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of compression, 17 Oct 2013
Dr. Nicholas P. G. Davies (Halifax, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is an excellent little book. It's one of those gems produced by someone who really understands a field of knowledge and who can choose well how to present its key ideas.

I read as a reminder of much maths I had learned at school, but not been able to pursue beyond it. All the basic maths is in there- but the book hints at how much more there is behind it. What is amazing is how very simple starting points allow for so much discovery and implication.

The unity of mathematics is well described- the fact that constants such as pi and e are the same whichever way you encounter them is emphasised. The book is excellent at emphasising the coherence the mathematics, and at showing how the sub-specialities are easily absorbed within the whole.

I suspect this book would be most useful to A level and university students of maths and related subjects- either as revision or as inspiration.

The compression factor in the book is huge, and whilst this is good for clarity, and overview, there's a price in lack of space to show you exactly how to make these calculations and arguments, and in terms of full explanation of the implications of the mathematical theorems presented.

Overall however this book achieves what it sets out to achieve, and can be freely recommended to others who want to know something quickly about mathematics.

4.0 out of 5 stars great maths tool, 23 July 2013
The book is very good like a mini dictionary and explains in detail all maths topics to help you understand a little bit more

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do what it says on the tin!, 13 Jan 2014
Charlie C-S (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Having loved maths at school 50 years ago, I thought I'd enjoy a refresher course in topics like calculus and differential equations, just to keep the old brain ticking over, but sadly this didn't do it for me. My overall impression was of a book written by a mathematician rather than a linguist - the explanations were not clear, and frequently explained topics using terms which were themselves not explained. in summary, a book for someone who already knows the subject!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!!!, 30 Jun 2013
Great book for a level students looking to expand knowledge beyond the dull a-level syllabus and those going onto university :)))

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›