4.0 out of 5 stars A sound debut...
I really enjoyed this debut crime novel and think that David Mark could do for Hull what John Harvey does for Nottingham and Chris Simms does for Manchester. I thought the novel painted an incredibly realistic picture of Hull as a city on the slide and you got a real sense of the atmosphere of the city in all its grim reality. I thought that McAvoy was a good grounded...
Published on 31 Mar 2012 by Raven

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not exceptional
Not a bad read but I felt I'd read so many similar novels before.

The misunderstood detective with a tragic past considered by his colleagues as ready to put out to grass.

A tired plot where the reader can see the connection between events early on, but the clever detectives (and our hero) seem unable to draw obvious conclusions.

A sound...
Published 13 months ago by D. Foot

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Overwritten back-story and confused plotting, 19 Nov 2012
Richard Latham (Burton on Trent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Winter (Hardcover)
David Mark is clearly an excellent writer and in DS Aector McAvoy he has a character that hopefully will develop into a believable cop around whom a series of books can evolve.
However in this debut novel we have too much back-story and confusion that like his boss Pharoah says "People don't know what to make of you.....They can't read you." He is a complex character but I think more was said than was needed to draw a basic picture of him. Can't get the marital "love" - stinking of a women's perfume yet his wife knows he would cheat on her. Yet through his eyes all the female characters are seen as fanciable in some way. Loved Fin and feel plenty to build on in future books just overloaded in the first one. Perhaps this book was so long in the writing it all gushed out.
Amid all this over-writing of McAvoy's providence overlays a plot that doesn't hold together. The crime team seem clueless and all pulling in different directions. Suspects are arrested on a whim without answering to anyone, to the point where physically he could not have been the perpetrator fighting McAvoy the eyewitness whose statement appears to be ignored. The like a a motive and a link between the crimes takes for ever to drop and once it is seen, a confession is sought rather than seeking information from him as he must know the real killer.
Liked the book but overdrawn character and the complicated, not hanging together plot, spoil the actual enjoyment of the read. The warped thinking of the killer could sustain the novel if it was revealed differently in my opinion so I am a little disappointed as I recognise this could have been a terrific thriller of a crime mystery.

3.0 out of 5 stars promising in parts, 20 July 2012
This review is from: Dark Winter (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed the plot,story and the characterisation - Kept me turning til the last page,Hence the 3 .
Unfortunately Mark is vague about the setting and seems to only draw on the commonly held negative perceptions of Hull to paint the picture and create the "backdrop" - shame !!
Other crimewriters (who I guess Mark would want to aspire to)manage to include the good ,bad, light and shade in their work when setting the Urban scene ,so to speak
I'm sure he's been there but if his writing is the only reflection of his experience I'm sad
The majority people who live there will give you many reasons why its a good place to be !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Dark Winter (Hardcover)
What an amazing read, i could not put it down. I loved the main character and could see Robbie Coltrain playing him on the big screen. The story has intrigue and pace with a touch of humour. I can't believe this is David Mark's first novel.
Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut novel, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dark Winter (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book - but then I am rarely disappointed with Richard & Judy's choices. This was a great page turner, fast moving, full of interesting characters and a good plot. I was really surprised to hear that David Mark found it difficult to have his work published - so glad that he managed to get this one on the bookshelves. I also enjoyed the fact that it was set in Hull and the author managed to present a clear picture of the place and its inhabitants.

I look forward to reading David Mark's next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read!!, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Dark Winter (Hardcover)
What a fantastic read! I have read many detective novels in my life but it's been a long time since I have enjoyed a detective novel as much as this one. It captivated me from the offset and I was totally hooked.

Having visited Hull on a number of occasions I was able to visualise the opening scenes with great clarity. DS Aector McAvoy was someone I just couldn't wait to learn more about at each page turn and after having finished the book I'm still left wanting to know more!

The plot had me on the edge of my seat and the ending left me speechless, it was one of those reads that stays with you for a long time after you've turned the last page.

An amazing debut novel and I wait in anticipation to read the next one in the series, David Mark deserves all the success this book will bring.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dark Winter (Kindle Edition)
It started well, however I found the characters rather stereotyped, the troubled misunderstood cop, his overtly sexual boss. The storyline was good and tied up nicely, however the characters felt rather flat to me

5.0 out of 5 stars I got chills, they're multiplying ,,,,, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Dark Winter (Hardcover)
Just read this in one sitting and still haven't got my breath back. Crime fiction just got significantly better and it wasn't in bad shape to begin with. I loved this story, and every character seemed so well drawn abd believable. the way it's written is a sort of bleak poetry; short sentences, clipped metaphors - all perfectly suited to the bleak, impoverished landscape of urban Hull. Simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Dark Winter (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down. Love the protagonist. He's the BFG of crime fiction. Love that he's not an alcoholic or divorced - what a refreshing change to see a regular man, happily married just trying to be the best he can be. When does the next one come out? We need more McAvoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly enjoyable, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Dark Winter (Hardcover)
This was a good story and I enjoyed reading it. I wasn't too convinced by the ending but would read more by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hull of a Book!!!, 6 April 2012
This review is from: The Dark Winter (Hardcover)
At last, a crime novel that feels real. David Mark has captured the very essence of Hull and Grimsby, and has also created a hero who will resonate with many people. McAvoy is the most grounded policeman in fiction, a likeable family man with real values, who is also an intellect with an innate sense of justice. These qualities combined with desperate need for truth make for a stirring read. Can't wait for the next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›