4.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive book, but by all means not perfect., 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Classic Sauces - Over 200 Sauce Recipes To Transform Any Dish (Kindle Edition)
This book is quite comprehensive and explains the basic sauces and their variants (so, you often start with a stock and depending on what sauce you want, you add herbs, or onions, or something else to make it another sauce). It lists and explains most variants nicely, so in a way it's much easier to have this rather than look on the internet for various recipes. I know it makes perfect sense this way, but it's annoying to have to go back to a previous sauce if only one ingredient is added to make it different, especially if recipe number 150 refers to a recipe on page 3 (not ideal or easy to browse back and forth on the kindle).
However, I don't know if you're like me, but I'm never quite sure what I order in a restaurant until after I have reviewed the said sauce online, because there are a LOT of them out there. So, this book lists them all nicely.

Something annoying for me was the spelling/editing mistakes which makes buying a book (as opposed to compiling your own list from the internet) an added bonus normally. For eg: "Bercy sauce is served most frequently with fish, so I've given the recipe with fish stock and fish velouté sauce, but if you want to serve it with fish chicken or beef, substitute the relevant stock and velouté sauce." They clearly mean "if you want to serve it with chicken or beef" but I shouldn't have to guess!
"cevettes" for "crevettes" (shrimps) etc...

All in all, I would probably recommend this book, with a reserve that if you can find as a comprehensive one elsewhere, go for that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, 20 Feb. 2013
Mrs. Elizabeth J. Davies "Teckle" (Concrete Cows) - See all my reviews
this is so easy to use on the kindle I can take it into the kitchen to follow the recipes that are great