5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy camera.
This compact is fairly heavy (for a compact) which feels good and is an indication of its good build quality.
There are lots of features which I'm still getting to grips with; I do suspect that many of these features will never be used by me but might appeal to others.
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for images, but faulty sound on video
Published 22 months ago by Rich343434

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy camera., 10 Jan 2013
Amazon Customer "Photofox" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon Powershot SX240 HS Digital Camera - Black (12.1 MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3.0 Inch LCD (Electronics)
I've not had a chance to get out and about with it yet but the few shots I've taken in my garden are really good (as you'd expect from Canon). The 20x zoom is extremely handy and I will explore it more.
In summary, with limited experience, it seems an excellent camera. I've had dozens of Canons over the years and this one doesn't disappoint.
The only minor niggle is the Instruction book...well, there isn't one! There's a thick booklet to tell you how to get started in 3 pages of English and the rest in about a hundred other languages. Downloading instructions form the Internet is easy enough but at well over two hundred pages, I didn't want to print it out. So, I have to sit in front of my computer, with the camera, studying all the various features. I know this saves a bit of money for the manufacturers but I find it really annoying. I feel that people not too familiar with cameras might just read the basics, not get on very well, and think the camera is rubbish. All because they didn't read a proper manual. Perhaps I'm just an old fogie.

It is now a couple of months later and I feel I have to add that I'm still extremely pleased with it. In particular, the zoom with IS is great. I took some shots of the same scenes with this compact and with my EOS 7D. To be honest, looking at both sets on the computer, it's almost impossible to tell which were taken with the compact and which with the DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Jay-Z & Kanye West concert to Machu Picchu in Peru, an amazing camera and bullet proof, 23 Jun 2012
Y. R. Selvi (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I upgraded to this camera from a Casio Z2000, the difference has been massive except for one thing which I will touch on later.

I was originally was going to get the new 2012 Panasonic TZ25 or 30, but reviews showed that Canons smaller pixel sensor and processor is much better than Panasonics which seems to have a yellow tinge to photos.

While I was originally worried about complaints that the 240sx has slow focus in dark conditions compared to the Panasonics, this turned out to be much of a non problem at all after using my camera to take full length 20x shots of the Jay-Z and Kanye West concert at the O2 arena, as images came out very sharp in which my other camera would fail at.

I would recommend anyone that buys this camera should use it only in P mode. Auto has a habit of choosing the wrong settings, if you are not that technical, the little bit of learning will greatly help you in the long term.

In Peru, the 20x was exactly what I needed, so I'm glad I didn't go for the TZ25, because there was some sights that needs a 20x to be served justice.

The only bad thing about this camera is battery life if you use a lot of Flash or video.

In Peru, I took 1700 photos in 13 days and even though I charged my battery everyday, I never ran out of battery during my day of photo shots, since i didnt have to use flash and I took videos once a few days.

I sadly managed to drop my camera 10ft in the ruins of Piquillacta, near Cusco, and my camera amazingly survived with a tiny scratch to the bottom of it! it was only then I noticed the new Canon compacts are made in Japan! it shows!

But I still highly recommend you buy a second battery it is a must for dark shooting where flash is necessary!

WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND!:)

November 2012 update:

I recently went to Iceland in October, where I put the camera through some cold temperatures, including being used on top of a glacier on a snowmobile!(I added a photo in the user pic gallery).

I was pretty happy with the photo's that came out, especially in the strong sunlight I experienced which surprisingly did not effect the photos or make the camera malfunction!

It's definitely proving to be a travel camera that Canon says it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect - but very good, 25 Aug 2012
This must be my third or fourth pocket Canon, used as a 'walkabout' camera for when I don't want the bulk, weight and inconvenience of an SLR: and it's easily my best Canon yet (well, ignoring an old, film, F1 SLR!).

All the positive comments made by other reviewers are true. The lens is quite sharp, images have good colour (better than that from my previous Canon pocket cameras), the image stabilisation is excellent and the flash, though it has a very limited range, delivers surprisingly good results and the zoom range is luxurious. Moreover, the video function is remarkably good and for those who know how to exploit manual or semi-automatic settings, everything you need to adjust can easily be adjusted.

Sadly, some of the negative comments are true, too. The battery life is miserable, though this can easily be remedied by buying a non-Canon spare via Amazon (I say 'non-Canon' as Canon's battery prices are insultingly high), the lens isn't fast enough, which makes for slow shutter speeds in low light and increases the chance of shake (stabilisation notwithstanding) while the rear screen is horrible in bright light. Sadly, this is a flaw common to almost all current pocket cameras. The decision of manufacturers to abandon optical viewfinders in favour of inadequate rear screens is to be deplored. In bright sunlight this isn't a point and shoot camera, it's a point and pray device. They are all as bad as each other - Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, Olympus - all of them are of limited use in bright light. How can you frame a picture you cannot see?

There are also issues with 'blown' highlights - but dynamic range is a problem with every digital camera I've used. My advice is to set this to a permanent -1/3 stop and only change that when circumstances dictate.

I've concentrated on the negatives but don't let them put you off. This Canon is possibly the best of its kind. The limitations are shared among this entire breed of camera and as long as you understand them and accept that this isn't an SLR, it will deliver sharp, colourful, detailed pictures even in the hands of an unskilled photographer and it will do so in a small, highly portable package.

For this camera to be bettered (battery life excepted - Canon should be ashamed of itself for that) it is going to take technology that doesn't exist yet. Better lenses, better sensors, better processors and better screens.

Until they come about this is one of the very best of its kind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 2 Mar 2013
This is certainly an impressive camera. Having owned Canon camera before which I really liked the quality of. I have owned this for a few months now and although still lots to learn about it I have already been able to take some superb photos and videos. It has a wonderful optical zoom which can be a little difficult as with all zooms to hold steady at it's longest range. Another asset I really like about the camera is the photo digest which takes a short video with every photo - you just have to remember to keep the camera steady briefly after taking the photo. This gives a video of that days photos which is great. It is easy to use. I have already recommended this to a friend who has purchased it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for images, but faulty sound on video, 13 Oct 2012
I bought this camera as a replacement for my older compact camera, to be able to take with me when I don't want the bulk of my DSLR. I prioritise image quality over 'gimmicks' and so chose this camera over equivalent models from other manufacturers based on reviews that this camera had the best image quality, at the expense of a smaller feature set than some, and I must say I was initially incredibly impressed with this camera - the picture quality in a wide range of situations was very good, and the ability to take hand-hold pictures at such a long focal length thanks to the image stabilisation is amazing.

BUT, one other reason for updating my compact camera was for the ability to take videos without needing to take a dedicated camcorder with me. Unfortunately, I noticed some time after buying the camera that every video taken on it, in a range of situations, had an annoying high-pitch whistle on it. I returned to Amazon for a replacement...but the replacement camera had exactly the same fault, so I returned that for a refund (excellent customer service from Amazon). I have been in touch with Canon, who have acknowledged there is a problem with this camera, but can not tell me if it affects all models or just some (if it was only some, I would be tempted to attempt to buy another one as if it didn't have this fault it would meet my needs perfectly and this review would be 5 stars) - if you do buy this, the first thing you should do is play back a video with the volume turned up a bit and see if it has this issue and, if it does, decide whether or not you can live with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 April 2013
This is a fabulous camera. The photo's are so clear and the zoom is really powerful. Very very pleased indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easy to use travel zoom, 11 Aug 2013
I bought this to replace a Canon EOS 600d as I found I wasn't using it enough and the video while excellent quality was awkward to use and no auto focus ( knew this when I bought it but didn't realise how much I would miss it!). The SX240 is a very good camera that can be used in auto mode much of the time with a quick flip into P mode very handy to adjust exposure for example in tricky lighting conditions. The video quality is excellent and exposure and focus is quick and accurate. The 20x zoom is very useful but tricky to hand hold at the longer focal lengths as you'd expect. The camera is very well built (in Japan) and feels very solid in the hand yet light enough to carry anywhere.
Photo quality is very good with some situations needing a tweak to exposure in my opinion - bright sunny scenes can over expose foreground subjects in auto but also bright objects in normal lighting can get over exposed, hence the usefulness of switching to P mode and using an up press on the control wheel to get the exposure compensation setting.
Overall great value as this is not the latest model but has all the features I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small camera, 5 Jun 2012
Having had my small camera stolen (I was silly enough to put this in my hold luggage) I decided to wait untl the latest model of the Powershot SX range was released. I have been impressed with the 20x optical zoom and there is a good sized LCD screen. Most importantly of course is the picture quality and these have not disappointed. I still prefer my SLR but for convenience at certain times I am very pleased with the Powershot SX240HS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Bunny, 25 May 2012
John Mclaren (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought this just before a 2 week holiday in the sun and took about 500 photos plus videos to fully test it out. I must say I'm delighted with it. The lens delivers sharp results throughout the range and what a range! The 24mm end is surprisingly usable while the 480mm telephoto end introduces a new dimension into your photography. I'm frankly astonished at the image stabilisation. Given reasonably bright conditions it allows me to successfully handhold even at the extreme end of the range on quite a high percentage of occasions. Now that is amazing considering my hands are a bit defective and not steady at all. I haven't found any great problem with the screen outdoors even in very bright conditions, while wearing sunglasses and there was still a bit of brightness adjustment available for the screen. Focussing works well and is fast enough for my purposes. There are lots of adjustments available through the various menus and it's great fun trying them all out.
Overall a nice piece of kit which will keep me very happy for a couple of years until the buying urge returns.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great unless you want it just for video, 8 April 2013
This is a fantastic camera, but it appears to have one flaw in my opinion and that is with the sound on the video - it gives a constant hiss - so bad that I had to return mine. I also have a Canon SX220HS and this is perfect and does not suffer this sound fault, but it seems to be an issue with this model. Goggle it and you will see several owners report this, despite not coming up on reviews - its probably not too much of an issue if you don't do much video, but I was buying it specifically to work alongside my Canon SX220HS camera for video. In all other respects this is a fantastic camera, and its a great shame about the hiss.