5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent travel camera!
Published on 14 April 2012 by Pepper

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but trouble
I purchased this camera over a year ago as a replacement and upgrade for a previous Canon Powershot Camera, that had served me well for many years.
In many ways the camera is as described my many giving good reviews. However I've had several problems with it.
Within a month or two of buying it the LCD screen stopped working - so had to return it under warranty,...
Published 4 months ago by Sue H

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent travel camera!, 14 April 2012
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
After having bought a Panasonic TZ30 last week to replace an ageing TZ5 my partner decided to renew her travel zoom too and treated herself to the Canon Powershot SX260HS - we both use Nikon DSLRs (a D90 and D3100) as our main cameras. I have taken a eager interest in the new Canon SX260 out of anxiety as to whether I made the right choice in going for the TZ30 but this review focuses on the Canon.

To me the overriding issue is ultimately the quality of photographs rather than novelty features, however, both cameras are in the same price range; have a similar pixel count; 20x zooms with stabilisation and cost circa £300. The key differences are that the Canon is slightly bigger and heavier (deeper plus 30g heavier); has no touch screen; no in camera HDR support or 3D facility - none of these are tiebreakers for us but picture quality is. It's a pity neither the Canon or Panasonic supports RAW mode. Also, both cameras offer a variety of burst modes including a 10fps mode which fixes the focus on the first frame. One differential is that in this mode the Canon LCD turns off which can make panning difficult.

The SX260 is very pocketable and easy to use with a rapid start-up. The zoom/stabilisation are excellent and the pictures remain clear at high zoom. The pictures this Canon produces are very good and more than acceptable from the size of camera, although, at the £300 mark you have a right to expect something better than more basic pocket cameras. The SX260 maintains the principle in cameras of this type that as the ISO increases the noise level increases significantly - I can only say that it is no worse or better than our TZ30. Overall though, taking account of the size of the camera pictures are lovely and clear at normal working ISO levels (up to 800), although, I could not say to my eye that it is any better or worse than the TZ30 - both produce good quality output. The 2MP difference between the SX260 and TZ30 makes no difference in practice. In summary, I think most people buying the HX260 will, providing they accept it isn't a DSLR, be very pleased with the results.

The SX260 sports a pop up flash which I think is very useful on a camera this size when the flash is being used the fact that it pops up means that you are discouraged from obscuring it with your finger - all too easy to do on a small camera. Even using the anti-red eye setting cameras this small are inclined to produce redeye - unlike the TZ30 there is an in camera editing tool to deal with this though. It's a pity there s no RAW mode because the clarity of shots suggests the camera could do justice to the format. The accompanying sound is clear too. Movie is good and sharp too on the SX260 - jitter free and you can zoom while shooting.

If you are looking for a quality, compact travel zoom I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the SX260 - it's a very good camera indeed but just check out the competition from Sony, Nikon and Panasonic in case you want a different mix of features/strengths - I think there's a very good chance you'll come back to the SX260HS (or the non-GPS SX240 at around £50 cheaper). Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big lens in your pocket, 5 Sept. 2012
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon Powershot SX260 HS Digital Camera - Black (12.1 MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3.0 Inch LCD (Electronics)
The Canon Powershot SX260's headline feature is 20x zoom. This zoom goes from a wide angle 25mm to 500mm which gives you an excellent range which will cover most all circumstances. They have gone for a 12megapixel sensor which means your photos are generally brighter - but still with enough resolution for any printing you might want to do.

What I like about it over some of the similar camera's is the software and the design layout of the controls and the interface of the software. The buttons are nicely spaced; and the canon software has been improved to make tasks easier. It also makes light work of the seemingly endless modes the camera has by grouping them into more overall options. You can put the camera in full automatic and it will take the best photo under generic settings; you can suggest to the camera that its a backlit city night shot via the modes or switch to a manual control that lets you set aperture and shutter speed. This makes it a great option for everyone and a camera you can grow with.

There are useful modes like twilight mode which takes more stable images in low light without the need for a tripod or a flash; there are some excellent high speed capture options for photos and video - 10fps in still image and 240fps video - but not at full HD. There are some creative modes that mimic a fisheye or tilt shift lens as well. All these options led me to getting a 32gb SD Card as I found i was taking more photos on it than the sony it replaced.

The built in GPS tag's your photos or will track you as you go; this worked well in Apple's iPhoto and Aperture keeping a record of where the photos were taken as well as the GPS time the image was taken - which is great if you forget to set the clock as you travel. Sadly the GPS doesn't seem to reset the clock though. You will need to turn the gps logger off when you get on a plane as it tracks even when teh camera is off - which will also cost you battery life.

Its a pocketable camera; sadly the battery charges in a battery charger and not via USB but the battery will take several hundred photos without flash so may last your holiday without a recharge. I would take it and a bigger SD card to get the most out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built camera, does exactly what it says, with excellent picture quality from wide angle to telephoto., 26 Dec. 2012
I chose this camera over the Panasonic Lumix TZ30. So far I have been pleased with performance at all light levels and from wide to telephoto. Most surprised by high quality of image at 20X zoom. The camera is well built with good quality finish. The pop-up flash was a nuisance at first, but I am getting used to it. On board software is very effective at eliminating red-eye. Perhaps colours are unnaturally vivid in some situations. A RAW mode would have been good. Intuitive menus and generally good lay-out (excepting pop-up flash) make this easy to use out of the box and for more demanding use a few days play suffice to make best use. Old fashioned manual mode f8 and 1/125 second worked best for photographing craters on the moon at 20X zoom. Surprisingly little camera shake! Maybe the Lumix might have been better, but Amazon's astounding instant purchase option made this by far the better deal in terms of value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Next?, 25 Jun. 2012
How far can this size of camera go! The build quality is excellent, much more robust than my previous SX220, and the 20x optical zoom is outrageous in a camera this size. Packed full of features with manual control if you want to take over. Took it to the Isle of Man TT this year and the 10fps burst at full quality gave good results even with the bikes coming towards or going away from the camera. With a constant radius, eg in the inside of a bend, the results would've been excellent. Pop up flash is weak and only useful as a fill-in or with subjects no further than 6ft away.
The overall image quality is excellent with good natural colours and saturation SOOC. Handles grain well even at higher ISOs but a bit of purple fringing is apparent with high contrast edges. For a camera at this level and price bracket it's a great travel and everyday camera.
Not used the full hd video much but from the short clips I've done it's excellent with hardly any zoom noise.
Overall I'd strongly recommend this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality camera which is straight forward to use, even if you venture out of auto, 18 Nov. 2012
TEB (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
After years of having a series of more basic film and digital point and shoot cameras (currently an IXUS 60), I felt it was time to get something that bit better with a good zoom; often out walking and unable to capture decent wildlife images with the dismal x3 zoom of the old 60, however I didn't want the bulk of an SLR/or equivalent.

Internet research into the best digital compact camera pointed to three candidates, Sony's HX20V, Canon's SX240/260 and Panasonic's TZ30. Being very much an amateur photographer, understanding the technical differences between these cameras was not easy. Neither could I really detect much difference in images produced by the three, which have been published on the various review sites. Therefore I fairly quickly dismissed the Sony based on cost; most expensive and not just with Amazon. So after a lot more 'self debate' and further reading of reviews, I ordered the TZ30 from Amazon; again best price I could find (for a non grey import).

However after receiving it I was a little unsure if it was for me, purely based on it's design. The selection buttons seemed small, the rotary control on top looked vulnerable to knocks and it didn't have the solid 'engineering brick' feel about it that my old Canon has. So I ordered the SX260 to compare, as at the time Amazon were asking only £5 more for it over the similar 240 without GPS.

With the two cameras side by side the Canon, like my older 60, is clearly the more robustly constructed, the buttons and dials feel better with a more positive action, although the TZ appears to be the quieter when using the zoom and it doesn't have the frustrating pop up flash just where I like to steady the camera (thankfully it can be turned off). Took one or two comparison photos in auto with both cameras in the back garden. For me anyway the Canon was just that slight bit better, therefore the TZ has now gone back. It's a nice camera don't get me wrong and will no doubt suite others more than the SX.

Still getting used to the new camera; I've not had it long, however early results look good, the zoom works very well, although one or two images seem out of focus but probably operator error. Also been trying out one or two of the other features, such a sepia and the semi automatic P mode with variations in exposure compensation to compare the differences. As previously stated very much the amateur but the camera is so very easy to use and it takes little time to experiment with the settings while out and about walking. Oh also found some helpful tutorials on You Tube produced by Graham Houghton for both the SX series and the TZ, which have further encouraged my experimental photography. Video has yet to be experienced but it's not a feature I'm likely to use, although it might come in for holidays in the future.

Should also make comment on the GPS, which I've used just the once so far, more in curiosity than anything else. Managed to accurately track a local short circular walk, but with it engaged and taking over 100 experimental photo's, the freshly charged battery used up the first of the three indicator bars. A second battery may be needed for a day out I feel to be on the safe side.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent travel camera!, 13 Jan. 2013
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
After having bought a Panasonic TZ30 to replace an ageing TZ5 my partner decided to renew her travel zoom too and treated herself to the Canon Powershot SX260HS - we both use Nikon DSLRs (a D90 and D3100) as our main cameras. I have taken a eager interest in the Canon SX260HS out of anxiety as to whether I made the right choice in going for the TZ30 but this review focuses on the Canon.

To me, the overriding issue is ultimately the quality of photographs rather than novelty features, however, both cameras are in the same price range; have a similar pixel count; 20x zooms with stabilisation and cost circa £220. The key differences are that the Canon is slightly bigger and heavier (deeper plus 30g heavier); has no touch screen; no in camera HDR support or 3D facility - none of these are tiebreakers for us but picture quality is. It's a pity neither the Canon or Panasonic supports RAW mode. Also, both cameras offer a variety of burst modes including a 10fps mode which fixes the focus on the first frame. One differential is that in this mode the Canon LCD turns off which can make panning difficult.

The SX260 is very pocketable and easy to use with a rapid start-up. The zoom/stabilisation are excellent and the pictures remain clear at high zoom. The pictures this Canon produces are very good and more than acceptable from the size of camera, although, at the £200 plus mark you have a right to expect something better than more basic pocket cameras. The SX260 maintains the principle in cameras of this type that as the ISO increases the noise level increases significantly - I can only say that it is no worse or better than our TZ30. Overall though, taking account of the size of the camera pictures are lovely and clear at normal working ISO levels (up to 800), although, I could not say to my eye that it is any better or worse than the TZ30 - both produce good quality output. The 2MP difference between the SX260 and TZ30 makes no difference in practice. In summary, I think most people buying the HX260 will, providing they accept it isn't a DSLR, be very pleased with the results.

The SX260 sports a pop up flash which I think is very useful on a camera this size. The fact that when the flash is required it pops up means that you are discouraged from obscuring it with your finger - all too easy to do on a small camera. Even using the anti-red eye setting cameras this small are inclined to produce redeye - unlike the TZ30 there is an in camera editing tool to deal with this though. It's a pity there's no RAW mode because the clarity of shots suggests the camera could do justice to the format. The accompanying sound is clear too. Movie is good and sharp on the SX260 - jitter free and you can zoom while shooting.

In terms of ergonomics etc. The SX260 is excellent - it's easy to use on "Smart Automatic" most of the time, but there are lots of options for manual or preset modes that are easily selectable via the jog dial and/or the clear menus. The LCD display on the SX260 could be better - it is adequate at 460K dots but many competing cameras (e.g. Sony) offer twice this. This fact is less excusable as it is not touch screen. The built in GPS is great and finds a fix quite quickly, although, in common with other cameras this really drains the battery quickly. The battery is removed from the camera for charging in the supplied charger unit which bucks the trend towards chargers that plug into the camera.

If you are looking for a quality, compact travel zoom I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the SX260 - it's a very good camera indeed but just check out the competition from Sony, Nikon and Panasonic in case you want a different mix of features/strengths - I think there's a very good chance you'll come back to the SX260HS (or the non-GPS SX240 at around £30 cheaper). Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot SX260, 1 Oct. 2012
The camera was recommended by family members and I am extremely pleased with the product. The quality of photograph is very good and comparible to my Canon 450D SLR and much easier to carry in the pocket. I did by a hard case at the same time because of lens damage on another compact camera from the lens cover vanes which can be pressed onto the lens, but with this camera there is a larger gap between lens and cover vanes, so it may not happen anyway. The build of the camera is very good and the menus are easy to use for all level of photographers.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent travel camera!, 13 Jan. 2013
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars it works perfectly for the city sightseeing in night, 25 Dec. 2012
nice camera. One thing not good, the position of flash is quite annoying. When u open the flash, it will pop out at the place on which you usually put you left hand to hold the camera while taking a picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 16 Nov. 2012
Mr. W. P. Maxwell (Bourne, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This camera powers up and available to shot photos as quick as you need it.
The zoom is amazing.
Coming away from a SLR canon to this for a hi-end compact camera for day to day and nights out I am impressed by the quality of photo. Also in Manual mode the functions are easy to use, options to change shutter speed, 15"-1/2000, whilst the F rating can change automatically to the lowest setting to allow the most light in, lowest F rating is 3.5f whilst lens fully in. On full zoom it can go between 6f to 8f, or you can control both and set the F rating and shutter speeds (as permitted..e.g you won't get a 3.5f on full zoom). Also you can change the ISO up to 3200 etc for those photos taken in the dark.
I may just end up being lazy and leave my SLR at home more, no lenses to change over.
Uploaded a robin photo to prove how great it is.
I also ordered a spare battery (Non Canon) it was inexpensive and I would say you would be wise to have one at hand, or just for ease as you can rotate batteries, (one on charge whilst the other allows you to carry on shooting).