on 6 November 2012
This camera takes great photos and the zoom is pretty good, better than the 5X zoom of others. Well built and a decent brand in a choice of colours. Put up the brightness so you can see the screen in sunlight. I did this to my other camera and its made a difference. I would pick up a spare battery from ebay so you are not caught out. The colour reproduction is better than a Panasonic I tried. Good for taking on holiday or for general use although not so good in low light.
on 28 August 2012
I bought this little beauty for my partner on a special deal recommendation from Amazon. Its incredibly good. I shoot with a Canon 7D and in good light for regular street/landscape/everyday shooting, its hard to spot on the PC which camera took the shot.

Battery life is great and its never been set to anything but full auto and it hasn't muffed a shot yet.

Excellent value for money for an everyday compact camera or even a backup on a more serious shoot.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2012
This camera was bought for my wife just before a holiday in London. She used it on numerous occasions both in the dark and in the daylight, catshing the christmas festivities onto a disc. After a little editing we were surprised at the quality of the photographs considering the camera arrived on the day of our departure so she had no time to familarise herself with the finer points. All in all a very nice piece of kit, small enough for a handbag, sharp enough for good snaps, user friendly, and most of all resonably priced. She is delighted with it.
on 22 January 2013
update 25/09/2013

After almost one year of using this machine i still don't like it.

I have understood, almost, all of the setting but the time it takes to take the picture is just a killer for this camera.
Remember the first cameras on the mobile phones that took "years" to take the picture, this is like that and if you take it on a tour either don't bother to take any pictures or all of then will be "just a second to late".

I'm now searching for a new camera that will not only have good picture quality but also is fast, like my mobile phone.

first week use:

with this machine is very dificult to get a stable image.

I have tried almost all modes and none gives me a image without blur.

on the other side it make very good movies :)
on 22 November 2013
I got this camera for a Christmas present last year and it worked fine for a few months. Unfortunately this summer the lens stopped opening and I sent it off to be repaired. Despite the camera only costing £90 I was told it would cost £75 to repair because dust in the camera had voided the warrantee. When I asked for more information I was sent a photo of the dismantled camera with a few flecks of dust on part of the camera that would not be open to the elements. If the model allows dust into the inside surely that is a design fault? Not according to Canon. Won't be paying to get such a flimsy camera repaired, and definitely not going to be purchasing another Canon again. I'm back to using a Samsung I bought 7 years ago that I only stopped using because it was a bit bulkier.
on 21 December 2012
Looked at various cameras before deciding on this model, and my wife wanted a red one. She is very pleased with the results so far
on 4 February 2013
I am an lorry photographer and use a Canon EOS 400 which gives me good results. However, I find it a little heavy to carry around when just out for a walk and so purchased the Powershot A4000. This fits into my pocket and gives me terrific results when photographing stationary lorries. I never leave home without it.
on 1 February 2013
Takes excellent pictures and has a large screen. Would prefer to have had a complete instruction book rather than a information disc but that seems to be the way these days.
on 22 October 2013
This was my third Canon and seemed to be working fine. I was very happy but after only 5 weeks the shutter jammed (in the closed position) and that was that. I was not put off and bought an IXUS, which (like all my other Canons) is working fine. As a general comment I find Canon cameras the easiest to operate, quick and convenient. Initially I stuck with them because I had bought extra SD cards and wanted to continue with that medium of storage. Now everyone seems to be using them so it's no longer an issue. But I will stick to Canon despite this one letting me down.
on 6 January 2013
Bought for my husband, easy to use and access the various settings, nice to handle.
Very good value. Also like the colour!

See one answered question