4.0 out of 5 stars Progress is progress
Published on 2 Nov. 2012 by E. K. Moat

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Brown! Very hit and miss photography.
Mine is a dark Mocha brown (described and marked as Black) but I prefer this.
I researched for a long time budget compact digital cameras so either I got a dud, or you have to take most of the reviews on here with an even greater pinch of salt than I already do.

Published on 24 Nov. 2012 by netnomad

4.0 out of 5 stars Progress is progress, 2 Nov. 2012
E. K. Moat "Kithmo" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot A2400 IS Digital Camera - Black (16.0 MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (Electronics)
I bought this camera to replace my Fuji Finepix E550, which I've had for a few years. How things have progressed in the last few years with cameras is astounding. Although the E550 was a decent camera in its day, this Canon A2400 IS blows it out of the water in nearly every aspect. The main reason for replacing the old camera was that as my partner and I are getting older our hands are not as steady as they were and about 70% of the shots we take come out blurred. The new Canon has the anti shake technology that resolves this problem. The only two points where the Fuji scores above the Canon are the LCD display, although smaller, is sharper on the Fuji in low light conditions and the fact that the Fuji takes standard AA batteries means that you can just change the batteries if they run out, whereas on the Canon you would have to charge the battery before you can use it again. I have overcome this second point though by buying a spare battery for it, £4 on Ebay.
The 28mm wide angle and 5x optical zoom lens gives a good range of field, the 16 mega pixel sensor gives it a great resolution and the Intelligent Sensor looks after the settings for a wide range of situations. It functions in full Auto mode or you can adjust various setting yourself. Although it's not a top of the range camera and I suspect it may be an outgoing model (which is why the price has dropped to £69), all in all it is a very good camera for everyday use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact., 13 Jan. 2013
Great camera for just point and clicking. Snaps quick shots or video in auto mode. With more features available in manual mode, also has some custom effects such as Toy camera or fish eye.
Great choic of camera for pulling out and snapping the memorable moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershoot Camera, 11 July 2012
I have owned several Canon cameras, ranging from the very expensive to lower price ranges, and since these days I'm just a snapper, I wanted a lightweight camera for taking pictues. The A2400 is just the ticket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 14 Jan. 2013
very compact hardly know its in your pocket yet packed with more features than many bigger and heavier cameras. Very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 5 Jan. 2013
I bought this camera for almost half price during the Amazon 'Black Friday' deals and am really glad I did. The picture quality is fantastic, it is easy to use (literally point and click) and came with all of the bits that you would expect with a digi cam. The packaging was compact enough to not be too cumbersome but to still contain everything. The camera was great value all in all and worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little Point & Shoot, 2 Dec. 2012
I have been a Canon SLR / dSLR user for over 15 years and most recently used an Olympus P&S camera as one to carry with me at all times but had been disappointed due to its lack of zoom and slowness.

I had see this camera and done some research and it appeared on Amazon's 'Black Friday' deals so snapped it up.

The camera is lovely and compact, I was wondering how they managed to get a 5x zoom in because of the slimness of the unit! The image quality is very good, and unlike previous point and shoots I have owned I have left the digital zoom on as with 16 million pixels I'm not fussed if I use the extra zoom. The video recording is very good - 720p HD video gives a decent quality video.

Some other reviewers have highlighted issues over the perceived lack of functions on the camera - though I would have to disagree because if you want full control you would surely buy a more expensive camera?

Overall, I am impressed with the camera, and finally my old olympus can go to the camera graveyard!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginners camera, 18 Jan. 2013
This is a good beginners camera and would make a great gift. It has a 5X optical zoom lens and is a neat size for carrying. HD movies included also. Reasonably priced in the Canon range of cameras.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Brown! Very hit and miss photography., 24 Nov. 2012
Mine is a dark Mocha brown (described and marked as Black) but I prefer this.

What I'm disappointed with is the quality of the shots which this camera takes - I have had Canons before and like the brand but using mine as a "point and click" camera results in very average quality images, even at the highest resolution settings.

With tweaking and not using "auto" mode I get better results. I have found it takes macro shots better than general landscape pictures of fields, houses etc.

There are some quick function modes for taking fisheye lens effect shots, blurred edges etc which are surprisingly good.
For this price range I do realise you can't expect a Leica.

I have given this 3 stars as I am still toying with sending it back but need to counter all the other wonderful reviews except 1 (I think) which say it takes excellent photos. However for the price I will most likely keep it as it is very compact so good for travelling - certainly not a worry to carry around in the pub or leave in a hotel room. It will easily fit in a shirt or jeans pocket, it's that small.

Overall I would advise paying a bit more for something better if you like to view high detail and crisp digital photos.

For anyone looking to get a case fro this camera I got - Case4Life Small Hard digital Camera carry case for Canon Powershot ...
It is a hard case which will protect the camera but it is by no means a snug fit so rattles around a fair bit.

The SDHC card I got which works fine is the SANDISK 8 GB Secure Digital SDHC Card - Frustration Free Packaging. But that looks out of stock as I type.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 31 Aug. 2012
Really good little camera (16 MP) good price, delivered speedily, well wrapped and all in great condition. Very impressed overall - can't fault anything about the product or the service. .

4.0 out of 5 stars Holiday camera, 3 Aug. 2012
Lovely little camera flexible and accurate easy to use and stylish too. Offers excellent value. It is quite small - easy to mislay!