Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 October 2014
This film is a bit different, being written and directed by Drake Doremus (who later made "Breathe in") and like that film this features Felicity Jones in the lead role and his usual informal style of directing is present here too with quite a bit of improvisation from the cast members and he also limited the film crew in some scenes to make the main actors more comfortable in the more intimate scenes.

Story wise Felicity Jones plays Anna Gardner a British national who falls for an American guy called Jacob Helm (played by Anton Yelchin) whilst studying in Los Angeles, she decides to stay after she graduates thus breaking the terms of her visa. She goes back to Britain, but once she tries to fly out to Jacob again she is denied entry as she violated the terms of her visa. Thus the couple are forced to try to maintain a long distance relationship. Jacob does come to visit her for a few weeks where the sparks fly during his visit, but he has to return to the USA.

Over time the visa problem is re-visited which puts a strain on the relationship, but the couple decide to marry in a small ceremony during Jacob's next visit. Again Anna is denied entry to the USA, and after some relationship issues both of them start to see other people even though they are married.

The story is quite simple, it's really a battle of emotions and watching the couples start new relationships but with a constant pondering about the romance they feel deep inside. Performances are good from both lead actors we also get some well known supporting cast members including Jennifer Lawrence and Alex Kingston. But make no mistake it's really centred on the couple throughout the production.

This falls firmly into the slow burn category (just like Breathe In) if you hated that film then the chances are you won't like this, but if it hit the spot this is very much in a similar category. Plot wise I think stretches a bit at times one being why Jacob just didn't stay in the UK after they were married. Leaving that to one side both actors are very believable in their performances and genuine Felicity Jones having the unique "look" where she doesn't even need to say anything to convey a feeling works in films like this. Ending wise I wasn't entirely convinced (seems to leave the door open but some might like that) ultimately it boils down to if they did the right thing, and with the closing scenes you can't help but wonder if the spark and magic has gone, but I imagine the director wanted that.

If the thoughts of a slow pondering romance with lots of intensity but played in an off the cuff/improvised non typecast way appeal, this will be right up your street. But if not you'll probably find it tediously boring. I think the film is quite clever and raises some interesting questions about relationships, and thus is worth a look.
on 22 February 2012
Like Crazy wont blow you away with special effects and it isn't another 'hilarious' rom-com either. However, this film steps away from all the traditional Hollywood garbage and tells it like it is. It's quite simplistic but this type of film needs to be, it is moving and it feels true to life. I hope I never have to be in the situation this couple were in but the film made me feel like I was! I got attached to these characters and I really wanted it to work out for them. Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin are two of the best young actors right now, in my opinion their performances are what make this film. Like Crazy deserves more recognition and I would say it's definitely worth the watch.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 August 2013
What a wonderful little discovery, "Like Crazy". I rented this film despite the fact that one of my friends (whose opinion is usually pretty reliable - we tend to like the same things film/book-wise) did not think much of it, and I was NOT disappointed.

I understand that for some people it's not too funny or not a typical rom-com, and that's a shame. I thought the film was fast-paced and easy to watch, very enjoyable thanks to the somewhat inventive cinematography and a great soundtrack (please check it out!) and brilliant acting from both Felicity Jones (who is really becoming great British actress, steadily one film at a time!) and Jennifer Lawrence (even though her role is really small, she still manages to shine).

I see some people complained about the actual plot of the film, how silly and unrealistic it is. Well, not really. I could absolutely relate to the whole thing, I myself had to obtain various residence documents at some point of my life, having to battle with immigration authorities. Thankfully, my experience was an easy one. But my very close friend married an American, the marriage took place in Europe, and I was a first-hand witness of the whole unnecessary bureaucracy of obtaining an American visa, even without any previous violation of the immigration control. The whole Embassy/visa-related process put somewhat a strain on the relationship of the newlyweds (who were genuinely in love, still are, to this day a decade later), but there were times when my friend was desperate, ready to give up, there were tears of devastation and anger among the numerous immigration forms.

Nevertheless, the main point of the film is not to show and ridicule the immigration process. I thought the film was a spot on, an immaculate study of human relationship, its development and decline.

The end scene of "Like Crazy" was amazing and simply a perfect point - it was for the viewer to decide which way the couple's story would then go, if there were still a chance for them, or if the embrace was somewhat a good-bye, a homage to their love, lost to the time and long separation and just simply to the flow of life, never to be brought back.

"Like Crazy" is definitely worth a watch and I will be ordering it to have in my personal collection.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 September 2012

on 19 August 2015
This is a sweet modern love story about a couple deeply in love but then have to separate due to living in different countries. As life carries on for them and problems with getting a visa turn separation into years will their love survive?

Felicity Jones as Anna is excellent in this and is the initiator of the affair and the one who can communicate better her feelings. Anton Yelchin as Jacob is a furniture maker and not quite so expressive as Anna about their relationship. The chemistry between them was real and this is helped by the apparently improvised dialogue. Although the film is a bit uneven at times due to the indie roots of the director/writer it holds your attention wondering what will happen next, and doesn’t give all the answers.

Anyone who has been in love at this age and had to endure being and growing apart will recognize the themes in the film.
on 5 September 2013
After watching the trailer for this film, I expected a heart breaking romance film however I was shocked that this film was in fact very slow and boring.
The ending was unresolved and so sudden that I honesty thought the dvd player had broken.
I would not recommend this.
on 19 June 2014
Such a cute film, I don't tend to watch it too often as it makes me cry every time without fail.
A really believable and beautiful film, shows young love how it really is rather than masking it Hollywood style.
Nevertheless, another stunning flick from Felicity Jones.
on 14 February 2015
Most certainly a nice enough film but horribly miss-cast. Felicity jones is fine of course, she plays the role she always plays. But the male lead was really awful, could not believe him in the role at all. A surly, pretty unattractive young actor, still emerging from puberty! No chemistry between the actors at all. Could have been a much better film with a better cast because the story itself was ok. Despite the faults I would still say if you are in the mood for a quiet little love story ---- then you could do worse. Most certainly a 3 star movie.
on 14 December 2014
A curiously amoral tale of, what? Young love? Not love as I know or knew it. The film irritated me intecely, as boy and girl pass their time apart with firstly a bit of sex on the side and which after marriage, surprise surprise, becomes adultery. At this point I was left wondering is it ME that''s out of touch with modern morals and mores?

What a metropolitan liberal would praise as a mature approach to the problems of separation I found frankly annoying and left a sour taste.

Plus note: Jennifer Lawrence is breathtakingly pretty
review image
on 13 July 2014
I really enjoyed this film. The actors really conveyed the 'aching' feeling of intense love. I found myself empathising with many of the characters in the film and, to me, this is the hall mark of convincing drama.

The central characters are fairly young but even a middle aged romantic like myself could relate to the very intense human emotions the story depicted. I think the title really summed up the film as I feel the viewer was drawn into the crazy emotions the characters were feeling.

Great soundtrack too.