Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 June 2014
Great album. Good vibes, high energy and strong lyrics. Featuring tracks produced by one of the members of black keys.
on 28 October 2013
i am more than happy with this album, love all the tracks good album cover too, one of my best purchases
on 26 April 2013
bought this album for my husband a long standing dr john fan an he loves it every track pure genious
on 27 January 2013
I love this album, no I REALLY love this album. I play it in the car and at home' brilliant
on 4 April 2012
Stunning new album by the Doc.

I've played it 3 times since buying it & I would whole heartedly recommend it to anybody with a passing interest in his work.

Listened to it earlier with my best friend who like myself has a passion for Ol' Orleans from Prince La La, Longhair through James Booker & Mac.

It has 5 or so great tracks, having said that it works well as a whole album & dosen't have a bad track on it - It's both tastefully played & produced.

My favourite right now is My children, my angels which is just a touching & beautiful song.

Mac sounds wonderful vocally, all be it he works in a comfortable range to himself - So I guess not too much can go wrong - But that's cool.

I was amused & interesred to see that this was released through 'Nonsuch records'. My only other knowledge of them is for Joshua Rifkins superlative recordings of Scott Joplin toons back in the 70's.

But yeah I'm glad I bought this CD & am able to report that 'Locked down' is a wonderful record.

Filled with great songs.
on 10 July 2015
one of the coolest albums iv heard in a long time, matching anutha zone
on 4 October 2015
not one of his best.tried to get into it but not for me
on 2 April 2012
Simply excellent.

There are 4 different personas to Dr John:

1. The Voodoo Blues Man
2. The Curator of New Orleans blues, soul, fonk.
3. A singer of jazz standards.
4. A solo pianist.

The Voodoo bluesman came to the fore on Gris Gris, and has resurfaced every so often: Anutha Zone being a case in point. It also surfaced on Cop Shoot Cop by Spiritualised on Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, and to a lesser extent on Tribal.

The New Orleans curator was apparent on Gumbo, Goin Back to New Orleans, New Orleans Dis Dat & De Udda, where the good Dr plays his way through songs associated with New Orleans. It is also apparent in his role as the post-Katrina protest singer of Sippiana Herricane, City That Care Forgot, and Tribal.

The singer of jazz standards appears on In A Sentimental Mood, Duke Elegant, and Mercernary, and the solo pianist appears on Dr John Plays Mac Rebennack.

All of the above highlight the consummate musician that is the good Dr: when you throw in his production duties on Johnny Adams' The Real Me, and on Deacon John's Jump Blues, you know that excellence is not far away.

Now: for the first time since Anutha Zone, Mac has decided to work with a younger musician, with the exception of Derek Trucks on 2 tracks on Tribal, in Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys. The results are not Christine Aguilera with the Rolling Stones, but something amazing, something strange, something wonderful. Every single track is a winner, and it is the best album, thus far, of 2012.
on 6 April 2012
If anyone is interested then I would like to heartily recommend the new Dr John album. Dr John is 72 this year but this no old rock star plodding through the motions looking to add to his pension, this is exciting, vital music that proves that age doesn't have to be a barrier to great creativity and sublime new music. All the expected elements are there (if you like Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart don't let this pass you by) with a tremendous production adding to the clarity of the sound, and that voice is sounding richer and grittier than ever. Dr John has made some great records over the last 40 odd years but I think he may be just hitting his peak - this may be his best ...so far...
on 22 February 2016