4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as the reviews
I read the reviews before watching and was expecting to be disappointed, but that wasn't the case. The art style is actually aesthetically appealing and the film itself has an intriguing if not innovative plot and provides an insight into the Dragon Age lore. A must watch if you like the games.
Published 9 months ago by David Swarbrick

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but entertaining!
Published 10 months ago by Joao Cardeira Jorge

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but entertaining!, 20 Feb 2014
Joao Cardeira Jorge "A Bad Man" (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
“DA: Dawn of the Seeker” is all about Cassandra Pentaghast. If you played DA2 you might know her from being the interrogator Varric tells his story to. I always found her presence in DA2 a bit strange, since the player had no background on her, so in “Dawn of the Seeker” we get her “origin” story. She is also confirmed as a companion for “Dragon Age: Inquisition” so its nice to get this “early” insight into the character. “DoTS” also serves to give us more insight into “The Seekers”, the Chantry's elite fighting group and their dynamic within it and relationship with the templar order. They essentially “watch the watchers” and promise to be of huge importance in “Inquisition” so this anime offers quite a bit of interesting lore about them.
This edition comes with a beautiful cover, a wonderful match for the game's covers, and with two discs. One has the english audio track, the other the japanese. I only watched the english version because I don't think I can get used, after so many hours in the games to “watch” anything “Dragon Age” related in japanese. The voices are decent for the most part even though Cassandra's takes a bit of getting used to. The image is great in my PS3 as is the sound. There's english subtitles but only for hearing impaired, which can be distracting if you just want the dialogs.
The movie itself is average. I enjoyed the animation and there are some truly epic moments, with amazingly detailed dragons and huge fights, but there were also many flaws preventing it from being really great.
Cassandra is a hard character to like, with her seemingly endless thirst for killing and her absolutely annoying behavior. She's also not very smart, to be honest. And she screams a lot. And she really, really, really likes to hack people apart. Did I mention that already? Other flaws include blood mages fighting primarily with blades, hand to hand, instead of... well using blood magic. Rarely do we see any actual magic, instead we get Cassandra slashing through hordes of blood mages like they are harmless grunts. When Cassandra starts killing a few Ogres and Golems, with little effort things start to get silly. Oh and by the way, the Ogres, (darkspawn) are “fighting” alongside the Golems... and both are being controlled by the evil mages... and there's like 20 or 30 of each in once scene. Seriously? This a clear case of putting something in there because its cool and not because it makes the slightest sense in the universe.
Also the villains are more cheesy and goofy than threatening, especially the evil, disfigured, ugly blood mage leader. This guy's design is so cliché its laugh out loud funny.
The movie just never really feels “Dragon Age” although it comes close many times. The ending is epic and satisfying and sets up the beginning of DA2 rather nicely, and we get to see at least one mage, Galyan, that's not either insane or dealing with demons. He's just a regular guy, trying to do the right thing with no secret agenda and after DA2 its nice to see not every mage will turn to blood magic because his toasts burned in the morning.
There's few extras. A few stills, a few interviews with Bioware people hyping the movie and a tour of Bioware studios which for me as a huge fan was very interesting although short.
“Dawn of the Seeker” is a bloody, exciting adventure, within the DA universe, with some interesting lore, especially considering the upcoming “Inquisition”. If you, as a hardcore fan, can forgive some flaws, its fun and entertaining and at least more time inside “Dragon Age”. It could be so much better, but I still recommended it for all the fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 5 Mar 2013
I really, really wanted to like this. However the animation (computer generated) was just dreadful and the plot was hazy at best.

I loved the Dragon Age games (even the second one), but this seemed to just move from fight sequence to fight sequence without much of any consequence going on in between. I've given it two stars as it's not the WORST thing i've ever seen... and if you're a die hard fan you may enjoy it. Worth a go if you like the games, otherwise steer clear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trite and wearying, 5 Nov 2012
*Minor Spoilers*

I'm guessing that some things are lost in translation, as in most foreign films, so I took that into account as I settled down to enjoy a film set in the wonderful setting of Dragon Age. I suspect that the problems I encountered run deeper than this though.

When this film started I had high hopes for it. The animation was rather good, and the opening sequence features a half-decent battle, if a little over the top and far-fetched.

However, it got steadily worse from that point on. There were attempts at suspense with meaningful looks and subtle facial experssions, but that doesn't always work in animated films. The protagonist has a perpetual scowl on her face anyway, so she just came across as a whiny cow-bag. The other characters were far too obvious and cliched, with the main villains doing their usual James Bond-baddie style monologue to the captive protagonist, and sneering evilly whenever possible.
Although the identities of the baddies are supposed to be hidden, only to be revealed at a later point, I managed to guess who they were within the first 10 minutes, as they were about as subtle as a Scooby Doo villain.

The action sequences were appalling and mostly involved the beautiful protagonist dismembering foes in several gruesome ways, whilst still looking good with blood splatters dotting her features. Oh yeah, Cassandra was obviously somebody's teenage fantasy girl, as she seemed to prance around with her thighs bared, with a leather miniskirt on as she disembowled enemy after enemy.
I just couldn't suspend my disbelief any longer after she fell from a cliff, got buried under falling rubble, than jumped up and began to take down a bunch of golems and ogres by herself. Weak!

(I know that Thedas is a magical setting with dragons and mages etc..., but there has to be some level of believability.)

I was tempted to turn the film off at several points, the first being a scene where the Circle Mages turn up as reinforcements ("Yay!" I shouted) and then proceeded to whoop a bunch of veteran, armoured chantry seekers by hitting them with their staves. "Don't use your stun, sleep or paralyze spells chaps. Just hit them with blunt weaponry and they'll go down." Very poor.

I really had to restrain myself during the final battle scene too, which was pure Camembert cheese. They just needed some rocker from the 80's wailing on his guitar to complete the scene.

Anyway, I'm going to stop there as I'll only end up spoiling it more than I intended. I'll just summarise instead.

If you like the Dragon Age games because they are dark and gritty with some deep dialogue, then you'll be disappointed by this film. There is none of that, unless you think that dark fantasy involves blood being liberally splashed around the place.
However, if you are the sort of viewer who would enjoy an episode of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon but with more violence, then you may like this film.
I suspect it would've made for a decent children's cartoon as that is about the intellectual level it is aimed at, but it is rated 15, and by the time a child is old enough to watch it they will think it is incredibly hackneyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as the reviews, 24 Mar 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film with some week points, 16 Aug 2014
Great film

yes the graphics are bit strange , like looking at boardlands.

the graphics up close and that are in action are very detailed and the stuff in the back ground is less so.

story line bit week and voice acting not amazing but dose not distract.

Over all its good film and enjoyable

4.0 out of 5 stars Fill the hunger., 18 Jun 2014
I bought this to fill the hunger for Dragon Age while waiting for Inquisition. If you like dragon Age you'll like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well ..., 5 Jun 2014
G. Greatorex "Razzo" (UK) - See all my reviews
It kind of felt like watching a really bad movie version of the game? (xbox 360 graphics!) haha. I was expecting more considering the quality of animation nowadays! So quite disappointed.

But I'm a fan of the games and I still ended up watching until the end. Storyline was ok...

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly enjoyable to watch!, 30 Mar 2014
Most of these reviews don't do this film justice as I personally found it to be entertaining, That be said, it's something that could've done with more work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable, 1 Mar 2014
Given the excellent animations seen in the actual game trailers for DA and DA2, the animation style used in this is pretty disappointing. I guess I understand why they've gone for anime like characters, but there's some really hokey stuff going on here.

Story wise it's okay, but again, it's not anything terribly exciting. Probably the only likeable characters are Cassandra's mentor and her mage companion. It's hard to warm to Cassandra as she's so single minded,with little real personality.

Would I recommend it? Probably not. I don't know that it really expanded on the DA universe in any meaningful way. You can spend 90 minutes doing worse things I suppose, but I wouldn't watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Aug 2014
P. Joyce "paul.joyce1" (England West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Age - Dawn of the Seeker [Blu-ray] [2012] [US Import] (Blu-ray)
Very pleased all round, everything was easy. Would recommend and use again. A++++++++++++++

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon Age - Dawn of the Seeker [Blu-ray] [2012] [US Import]
Dragon Age - Dawn of the Seeker [Blu-ray] [2012] [US Import] by Artist Not Provided (Blu-ray - 2012)