4.0 out of 5 stars Storming debut, but how much more to come?
All too often these days bands are laelled with the title "the new Stone Roses" or "the new Oasis". The same has been said of Kasabian, as one glance at the sticker of the CD case will soon show.
The big difference with this band is that they are not trying to be the new anything.
Rarely have I heard a debut album of such quality. One of the truly difficult...
Published on 24 Jan 2005 by Nick Edwards

2.0 out of 5 stars They get better... eventually
This album seemed like a bad buy to me from the second it was being burned onto my computer.

There are a lot of forgettable tracks, and others that just seem wacky. As on even the good Kasabian albums, there is the ever-present 50 second piece of rubbish noise that they call a track, and apart from a few highlights, it appears a dull mess.

I...
Published on 18 Dec 2011 by J.Nuttall

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 13 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome debut from a Great British band, 27 Feb 2005
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
I had first heard of this band from the iTunes Music Store and downloaded the song "L.S.F.". I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, so I then went out and purchased the album from the shops.
Kasabian heavily draw their influences from The Stone Roses and this is what The Second Coming should have sounded like. Kasabian are masters at playing instruments and can produce their album comptenetly enough to mix the different sounds with each other to leave an awesome wall of noise, complimented quite superbly by rough vocals and meaningful lyrics.
The highlights of this album are the aforementioned "L.S.F.", "Cutt Off", "Reason Is Treason" and the forthcoming re-issued single "Club Foot".
I highly recommend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
Luv it

4.0 out of 5 stars The best debut album of 2004-hands down!, 26 Dec 2004
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
Thats what I think of this wonderful album in a nutshell- a Leicester based group that shame the over hyped Franz ferdinand and woeful Keane with their blisteringly great electro rock.
Fused with the attitude of Oasis(they have, in interviews, claimed complete superiority to the above bands which to be fair is a reasonably correct claim) the vocal sounds of one Bobby Gillespie(except its not) and everything else very Stone roses. No complaints about any of that then, understandably, Kasabian are a lot cooler than some public school boy guitarless piano bashers..
The singles are the best tracks here-the superb LSF practically sold the album to me-the Ian Brown styled Processed beats and the corporate fused dance rock of Reason is treason.Yet every track is a winner in its own way,and these guys should have plenty of bite left in them for some more classic albums in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album I have heard in the last 10 years, 13 April 2006
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
Since i first put this album on i have not been able to stop listening to it. Its true they do sound like the Stone roses but the stone roses were brilliant and there is no doubting that these guys do it just as good in fact in some cases better. I hope these guys become huge because their music is a refreshing energising blast from the past when indie music ruled! I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars To the 5 star 1 star idiot, 13 July 2005
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
This album has catchy tunes, good lyrics and a youthful energetic attitude. If you want a band that represents people who's mind hasnt blocked its ability to give music a chance after the first stone roses album then this fantastic. Oh and go see them live...if that doesnt make you at least like l.s.f. then you need to go find out where along the road you dropped your soul...

3.0 out of 5 stars Time to set the record straight, Roses they aint!, 4 April 2005
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
Right, before I begin I shall quote you some reviews from so called "music critics" which range from the semi believable to the dammed insane:
1) "the most exciting album of the year",,,,, The Sun, well lets face it, that's not difficult.
2) "This is how the Stone Roses second coming could have - should have - sounded like",,,,,, The Guardian, This comment in particular makes my blood boil, granted the second coming was not as good as the self titled debut, but this is sacrilege!
3) "A great sound track to making plastic explosives",,,,,, MAXIM, Riiight, just as the prodigy's Fat of the Land is for shooting cows!?! What the hell does that mean.
Finished laughing yet? I haven't, any way on with the review!
This isn't a bad album, I just find any comparison to the Stone Roses or the Verve some what stomach churning. The sophistication and originality of these bands is way beyond Kasabian, but then again its way way beyond anyone beneath Kasabian too!
I was bought this album as a Christmas present, and as I plonked it into my stereo system, I was pleasantly surprised that there was a ray of light in what is otherwise a sea of kak which resembles the music scene at the moment.
It is a bit different, with some catchy stuff. "hmm, not bad". It does have a certain early nineties ring to it, synthesisers, some interesting guitar work, but only some, and well, that about it.
The problem is, when anything reasonable comes out at the moment, its heralded as the next resurrection, trouser tearing stuff, and I'm afraid it isn't. Butchered by adverts and TV commercials this album has inadvertently found its place. Not so much an album you listen to stir emotion, but more something that mulleted saps play as party music to try an convey a synthetic coolness which is ill founded.
As I flick though the tracks, there is little in the way of variety, especially as some tracks are repeated later on. Its almost as if they run out of ideas half way though and thought "quick lets start singing about complete nonsense and fill out the remainder with strange noises and synthesizers". Its not cool, its not smooth, and it gets boring.
The First three tracks hold your interest, but I defy anyone to name one of the latter tracks, let alone sing it! That's because they wont remember it! That isn't a sign of a good album!
Pending on my mood I can listen to this all the way though, its not offensive to the ear, and compared to the rubbish coming out at this moment it time, its is above average. I don't have a dislike for this band, and I credit them for trying something different, its just that this album is way way overrated. Perhaps they're immense live, who knows!
My words of advice, buy it if you must, but if you want proper "rock" which set the way for this imitation band, then buy ALL the Stone Roses and Verve albums first, they're much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as people would have you believe..., 23 Jan 2005
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
Prior to the first listen of this CD I have to admit, I was excited at the prospect of something so new that people were falling over themselves to create new superlatives for. But, I am guessing that the best tracks are the ones right at the end, as I'm affraid I never reached that far before I had to turn off.
Theres nothing new here, nothing we haven't heard being done better by someone else years ago, and unfortunately, something I'm sure we are going to hear many times again.
If you are curious, borrow it from somewhere, but don't buy it. It will sit on your shelf, having been listened to a few times, then never played again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I have ever bought!, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
I don't like long reviews so I'll keep this short. This album is probably the best I have heard. The only problem is the last two tracks U BOAT and the secert track, basically a rejig of REASON IS TRESON, they just don't fit with the rest of the album, there not bad, I like U BOAT and I prefer the rejiged REASON IS TREASON to the normal one, they just don't fit in with the flow of the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH A MILLION BILLION STARS!!!!!!, 18 Mar 2005
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
id never actually heard any of their music until i bought this albumn and so it was a bit of a leap of faith to begin with! As soon as i heard the very first track though i realised that id love it, since buying it i havnt actually removed it from my cd player, i just dont listen to anything else!!!! buy this cd,it will change your life!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!!, 8 Dec 2005
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums i've ever bought. when i first heard their songs i thought they were awful but i listened to it more and more and it was superb. their sound is so original and if your looking for something a bit different try this!

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 13 | Next ›