on 24 July 2012
I'm afraid jess Haines has lost the plot - literally and figuratively. Shiarra bounces around between the white hats, the weres and the vampires, pathetically incapable of working out what is going on and what direction she wants to go in. The overall story arc barely advances at all in the course of the whole book. I will not be reading any further in this series.
on 2 August 2012
I read the first two books in this series one after the other on holiday and really enjoyed them. The third was OK too but I have to say I was disappointed with this offering from Jess Haines.
Without giving too much away I got bored quite quickly and was frustrated reading about the characters aching muscles and how much she had been beaten up. I felt that there were now too many twists in the now for Jess to bring anything to a satisfactory conclusion and so she has to keep writing. I really hope that she has a plan of where to take this story and I'm sure she has but my worry is that people will become bored with this series if she doesn't wrap it up soon. The problem is that there will have to be a conclusion eventually - I just hope that it doesn't involve a vampire baby or anything.
on 3 July 2012
Wow -I think this maybe the favourite of the series - I am not going top give any spoilers lets just say that all the ingredients are there for a superb exciting entertaining read right down to the last page, it's an intense read throughout and I read this in one sitting because I had to know where her dilemmas and that creepy belt would lead her, and personally I think it leads Shia in the right direction, I was not disappointed and really look forward to the next book, there is no let up on the quality of writing the decisions she makes opens up a whole new plot, I am not gushing for the sake of it I loved it and look forward in anticipation for book 5 will warn though there are loads of open threads left at the end of the book but thank goodness no annoying cliffhangers and you get a sneak peek at 'forsaken by others' which is book 5.... bravo Miss Haines
on 5 July 2012
I have been waiting patiently for a year since the end of Deceived By The Others for Stalking The Others to be released so that I could find out what would happen with our heroine Shiarra Waynest. Would she turn furry at the next full moon and more importantly would she get it on with our handsome manipulative sexy genius vamp Alec Royce. So on 3 July as soon as I woke up I downloaded Stalking The Others to my Kindle and started reading immediately.

This book picks up straight away from where Deceived By The Others left off with Shia escaping Royce's house and starting on a murderous rampage seeking revenge on Dillon, pack member of the Sunstrikers, who has possibly infected her with Lycanthropy and Chaz, leader of the Sunstrikers and her ex-boyfriend who betrayed her. Shia is all alone with nowhere to go and no money, all she has is her enchanted hunter belt, which gives her superhuman powers and speed, constantly whispering in her ear. She needs to seek retribution before the next full moon which is only 24 days away. We follow her on this journey with a count down of the days until the full moon. It was so excited wondering whether Shia would sprout fur and fangs and I couldn't read fast enough to get the answer.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the story as Shia hunts down her prey but I was not expecting for it to be darker and grittier than the previous books. I certainly wasn't expecting the badass Shia that we get in this instalment and I loved it.

If you liked the earlier books you will not be disappointed and if you like Urban Fantasy I would urge you to try this series. I am going to give Stalking The Others 4 stars. I would have given it 5 but Ms Haines tended to keep giving us the same information over and over and I got a tad fed up with this. But other than that I thought this was a great addition to the series. So did Shia turn furry and did she get it on with Alec......well you will just have to read it and find out for yourself.
Wow, what a wild ride that was! I still think that Deceived by The Others is the strongest book in the series, because there is so much pain, shock and betrayal in it. However, Stalking The Others is behind it only by half a point.

Shia's got so much rage in her, so much anger. This is truly gritty urban fantasy, full of action, bitterness, tethered emotions and total self-absorption with delivering vengeance to those who wronged the main heroine.

Partly the change comes over Shia because of the magical belt she's wearing. If you remember previous books, the belt gave her a much needed edge over supernatural creatures at night, but by day its strength waned.

However, the darkness she absorbs every time she wears that belt is welcomed, so whatever has been happening from the very beginning of Miss Waynest's involvement with vampires and werewolves reached its critical point which broke her and molded her into something new.

Stalking The Others is turning the tables, and Shia becomes a hunter instead of being hunted. The plot is violent, action-packed and gritty with the ending that made me reminisce about Anita and Jean-Claude when it was all still fresh and new.

Not sure what to think of the ending, but it's clear that Jess Haines has quite a few aces up her sleeve, and I can not even predict the direction Shia's life will take from now, but I'm very much looking forward to finding out...

Fabulous read!
on 22 December 2013
I really enjoyed this, things finally came to a head with Shiarra and Chaz, it was about time and there was a lot of action and her battle with her disappearing humanity but it all ended satifyingly for me. I don't want to be a spoiler so i'm not going to give details. A lot of people have critisized this in the reviews but i really enjoyed this as i have the ones before. I think it is worth a read and i'm interested to see what happens for Shiarra next.
on 1 December 2012
I really love this series of books, Jess Haines world and characters. Would have to recommend you read the series in full to really understand the story. I think this one did drag just a touch, thou the story was good and action was well written. Can't wait for the next book.

If you like Kim Harrison, and Ilona Andrews books you will enjoy this series. Kick ass girl fighting for what she believes.....
on 3 October 2012
Mmmm, well all I can say is that this ongoing story is getting rather tedious. There is no longer the substance that was evident in earlier books. It is almost like J Haines is merely drawing out the books to gain as much money as possible from her readers. Sorry but very disapointed in what started out as a thrilling tale and is now a bit of a damp squib.
on 10 November 2012
Love this book really like the characters . Would recommend it to anyone that enjoys books about the paranormal extremely well written a good easy read
on 8 August 2012
I shouldn't have read this - the other two books in the series had shown me what to expect, but I gave it a try - and I nearly put it down 3 times. Not sure how I reached the end.

The heroine has now in effectively muddled through 3 books, lurching from one emotional crisis to another. She has unsuccessfully tried to betray, let down, and attack every one of her onetime allies. She is too stupid to realise that she is CONSTANTLY being manipulated, and all the aspects of her character that make her 'a killing machine' come from a magical artefact and disappear as soon as she unbuckles her belt (and starts whimpering girlishly).

Really, why would I want to read more?