5.0 out of 5 stars My new all-time favourite movie
When I first saw that Disney was making a film based on videogames, I was conflicted. Sure, Disney have created some of the most timeless, beloved and classic movies of the past near-three-quarters of a century, but they could also screw it up horribly. And, as a gamer, I would know. This must be what Native Americans thought when they saw Pocahontas...
Published 18 months ago by Mr. H. Wright

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better!
Was very disappointed with this. As a plot idea it had so much potential but it was wasted. A good kids film has an angle only the adults can see, laugh and enjoy, without it ditracting from the kids enjoyment, this didn't have that. Sort of film Pixar would have done amazing things with - Disney didn't.
Published 13 months ago by SKC

5.0 out of 5 stars My new all-time favourite movie, 18 Jun 2013
Mr. H. Wright "Yellow Mage" (King's Lynn, UK) - See all my reviews

Fortunately, I needn't have worried. This movie almost won an Oscar for a reason, people!

Words cannot express with any genuine degree of accuracy how I feel about this movie. I only rated it five stars because that is the restriction Amazon has set; were it ten stars, I would give ten; a hundred for a hundred, etc.

I won't go into an explanation about the basic plot and setting; chances are you already know it, and, if not, you can go find it in any other review. All you need to know from me is that it's a severe understatement that I completely, utterly and absolutely ADORE Wreck-It Ralph! And I whole-being-ly recommend it to absolutely everyone!!

5.0 out of 5 stars DESTROY ALL CY-BUGS, 17 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wreck-It Ralph [DVD] (DVD)
Wreak It Ralph is the next "Toy Story." It has diverse and delightful characters as it combines elements of "Tron," "Starship Troopers," and "Candyland." Ralph is a "bad guy" in a game. He wants to be a good guy and get a medal so he crosses over to another game and ends up in a third game where he meets the Vanellope whose voice is excellently portrayed by Sarah Silverman who made the film.

The film has themes of being yourself, self sacrifice, and bullying. The language is sometimes saucy such as "gutter snipe" and "pussy willow." As an adult, I enjoyed this feature. It is one you can enjoy with your kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding!, 31 Oct 2014
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wreck-It Ralph [DVD] (DVD)
The thought of watching a film called 'Wreck-It Ralph' at a friend's house didn't really fill me with much excitement, but when I found out it was Disney, I knew it couldn't be all that bad. Now, I won't beat around the bush - I absolutely loved it. Disney have gone and done it, they have put together a masterpiece that equal's Pixar's 'Toy Story', and, dare I say it, have probably even bettered it as well.

The plot basically centres around gentle giant Ralph, who, for 30 years in his video game' Fix-It Felix, Jr', plays the villain, which makes him an outsider to the rest of the characters. Fed up of being left out and cast over to one side, he decides that he wants to become a hero, and sets out to fulfil his dream. However, his quest promises to quickly bring havoc and disruption onto the whole of the arcade where he lives. In his search for new opportunities, he enters a new game, 'Sugar Rush', where he meets an annoying a glitchy character called Vanellope, a lonely but spunky girl who is bullied by others due to her fault. Ralph wants to be a hero, and Vanellope wants to finally have to chance to enter and win a race. Together, the two of them form an unlikely friendship, which is genuinely quite touching.

The 2D animation is wonderful, and a showcase that we are currently living in a golden age as far as such animation is concerned. The kids will love it for sure, but even though I'm 22, it impressed me enormously, and was just such good fun to look at. I'm finding it hard to describe how much I enjoyed 'Wreck-It Ralph', it really is something else. The characters are all so loveable, and the story is a classic, with an equal combination of real humour and pathos. Gamers young and old will love the references to games never forgotten, and the whole thing is a creative masterpiece. Even the music brilliantly fits in with the film.

All in all, a movie for all age groups, and one I can virtually guarantee you'll want to watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A knockout !, 2 Oct 2014
Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England) - See all my reviews
A knockout ! I didn't rate this from just looking at the cover but when I bothered to read the reviews,I bought it ASAP !
It was even better than I had imagined.Yep,it's all based around old video games but has been crafted to perfection !
I fell in love with Von Sweet.I've got her figurine and simply love her character.She is one mischievous and double dealing knockout ! We,as viewers,were led down the road to think that she was an outlaw.The glitches were a master stroke,her racing rivals absolutely marvelous.And 'good' old Ralph - I'm glad I'm bad ! Reciting the mantra as he does a Superhero dive into the diet mountain was brilliant.It reminded me of Iron Giant.Yes,all those years ago.The Bugs 'swat' team was fantastic.I laughed my socks off at the scene where Ralph gets a hold of a combat uniform.Then snaps the closet lock ! The sheer inventiveness of the creative team was simply amazing ! As soon as the film ended,I immediately re watched it to get all the clever references I missed first time around.I lived through all those 8 Bit games and was a programmer too.Thinking about it,when Von Sweet and Ralph disappear into the Coke mountain to avoid capture by the King,that reminded me of The 13th Floor movie.As for the King himself..,well,what can I say ? He seems nice enough but there's just something about him that doesn't add up.Turbo.....,who....,Me ? Nah.
I cannot praise this film highly enough,it's just awesome ! Some really stellar performances from the voice talent.
OK,so it takes some ideas from Whacky Races.Dastardly and Mutly,with Vanellope a delightful twist on Penellope Pitstop.
The whole concept has been re imagined for a new digital generation and they've done an excellent job,top marks !
The accompanying Short - Paperman - is fabulous too.Don't miss that little gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wreck-It Ralph, 20 Jun 2013
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wreck-It Ralph [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my nephews birthday and he absolutely loves it and it has become a new favourite in his home. As usual from Disney, yet another brilliant story and their usual brilliant graphics etc which is just a couple of the reasons that this film is becoming another family favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars gentle and very funny in places, incredible blu-ray !, 10 Jun 2013
Technically the HD transfer and audio are unbeatable. The movie is actually surprisingly funny and it all seems to work when by rights this should be a mess. It works because the characterisation is deep enough and clever enough to win us over ( even reluctantly ) and so the movie carries us along and delivers some great gags. This could have been even better if they developed the female soldier character more but that would have made the film much longer so I see why they kept it concise. Brilliant final result tho.... RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars When Can I See You Again?, 3 April 2013
To those who haven't seen the movie what I'm about to say may seem really profound but here we go. Wreck-It Ralph is not only on par with Toy Story, but I'd go as far as saying that it's the spiritual successor to the series.

Wreck-It Ralph is about Ralph, the villain to fictional game "Fix-It Felix Jr". In the world of Wreck-It Ralph, all the machines in the arcade are connected and characters can move freely from game to game once the arcade is empty and have a community of their own going on inside the games, and villains are sneered at despite not actually being bad people themselves. Ralph, tired of being treated poorly for being a villain, attempts to travel to another game in order to acquire a medal (something which symbolises heroism in his game) in order to gain the respect of the other characters. Though the plot may seem simple at first, there are a few underlining sub-plots that are implemented at a pace I'd say is well timed and easy to follow, such as the story of "Going Turbo". I'd give you more of an overview, but I feel that'd just spoil the experience.

In my eyes Wreck-It Ralph is everything an animated film should be, having easily empathisable characters, punchy humour, and a masterfully created world. The fictional games are easily identified by anyone who's seen a video game, with the Fix-It Felix machine being a typical early arcade platformer like Donkey Kong, Hero's Duty a more modern shooter, and Sugar Rush a friendly Mario-Kart style racing game. There are also some cameos from real-life games such as Q*bert, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros., Root Beer Tapper, and Street Fighter.

So what makes this movie the spiritual successor to Toy Story? Well, unlike the other CG attempts by Disney without Pixar, Wreck-It Ralph has at least one character we can relate to, and many more we can understand. Not to spoil the end, but even the villain(s)'s plight is understandable. Not only that but all the morals and values this movie promotes are admirable and not really something I've seen promoted in a Disney film before. Accepting responsibility, fighting through adversity, and accepting others despite their flaws. Okay, maybe they have been promoted in a Disney movie before but never quite so effectively as this.

This film is almost perfect and is missing only one thing: a sequel. Part of me wants to say I'd recommend this to kids and families, but actually there's a lot of appeal in it for teens and adults too like the multitude of video game-related humour and the characters. Overall, this is an all round feel-good movie with compelling characters, perfectly delivered humour, and a unique and interesting world. If you haven't seen this already, you should because in my eyes, it's an instant classic, and I'm sure someday we'll be watching the final sequel and bawling our eyes out like it's Toy Story 3 all over again. Wreck-It Ralph quite simply is a must-see.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better!, 15 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad guy gone good ... what a disaster !, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Wreck-It Ralph [DVD] (DVD)
Ralph is the bad guy in a vintage arcade game.

He has to live on the rubbish dump and is envious of the other characters in the game.

What can he do ? Change his ways ... with unforeseen circumstance.

Anyone who frequented video arcades in the 80's this will bring back some great memories .... for the rest it's also a great family film with a few twists and turns in the plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney hit Gold!, 22 Mar 2014
Mr. G. Robinson "garyrobinson15" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wreck-It Ralph [DVD] (DVD)
With Pixar supremo John Lasseter overseeing production Wreck it Ralph was always going to be a quality product. However with Pixar's last few offerings (Cars 2, Brave and Monsters University) all getting mixed reviews, there was a feeling that another listless offering was on the cards. Well I was so wrong. Wreck it Ralph is supremely entertaining for children of all ages and of course for all those mums and dads out there who remember playing Super Mario Bros, Tomb Raider, and Sonic The Hedgehog till the early hours in the eighties and nineties.

With an extremely engaging and likeable main character, Ralph of the title is a video game "bad guy" who really wants to be a "good guy". When he finds himself given the opportunity to become a good guy he grasps it with both of his huge hands and sets off on an adventure of self discovery.

With obvious parallels with Toy Story (electronic toys other than real ones) this could have been just Toy Story 4 with another name. However the writer and director have produced a stand alone movie that has enough uniqueness to make it one of the best GCI "kids Movies" ever made. There is enough slapstick humour for the kids and plenty of adult references to keep the adults happy. The story may be a bit cut and paste from other movies but so what. There is hardly anything out there that is totally unique, and this remember is mass market stuff, so a little leeway is acceptable.

The animation is second to non and is on a par with Pixar, the attention to detail is staggering. Every time my three year old sits down to watch I see something new, or an old video game character in the background. There are quite a few.

With it's critical and commercial success it looks like we will be seeing a sequel shortly. Let's hope that it's not rushed through production by Disney as Wreck it Ralph could very well become a franchise with a series of films to come if the sequel keeps up the quality. Ralph could become as famous as Woody and Buzz Lightyear given time and enough care. Let's hope Disney see the long haul and not just $ signs.

Wreck-It Ralph [DVD]
Wreck-It Ralph [DVD] by Rich Moore (DVD - 2013)