5.0 out of 5 stars Unlucky 13 ? Not !!!
Published 21 months ago by P. Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and upstanding craftmanship, but unoriginal
Basicly this is another take on the whole Brother Bear thing. Brother Bear also contained a much more fluent and coherent story, with more honest felt emotions and was therefor a much better movie, notwithstanding the godawful tittle song (and no, it's not that I dislike Phil Collins per se.) My kids and especially my daugther loved Brave though and the (3d) animations...
Published 21 months ago by Jan-Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlucky 13 ? Not !!!, 30 Nov 2012
P. Morgan "Philmaddict" (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
Pixar's 13th feature is probably the best animated film I have ever seen. This is without doubt a stunning technical achievement on every level and one which I think they will have some difficulty in topping. The characters are every bit as colourful as the magnificently rendered Scottish backdrop(the facial expressions they manage to achieve are quite remarkable and convey the coflicting emotions of the varied characters sometimes far more realistically than actual human actors could) Add to this a wonderful central 'performance' from the heroine Merida (voiced by Kelly Mcdonald), a whole host of inspired set pieces and stirring music from Patrick Doyle and I think you have a near masterpiece. Definitely my Film of the Year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this and so did my young children. An absolutely delightful film that looked great, had a fantastic story, perfect voice characterisations and incredible animation (particularly Merida's hair!). A fun film for all the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun for everyone, 26 Dec 2012
markr - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
This is a really enjoyable animated Pixar movie - set in Scotland in days of yore it is full of magic - a princess, her suitors, spells, family, a few scares, and lots of fun . I was very impressed with Emma Thompson's Scottish accent - seemed as real to me as Kelly MacDonald's and Billy Connolly's, who were great in their voice overs. I loved the Scottish banter and dialogue - some phrases i haven't heard in years made me smile.

The animation - particularly of the bears is amazing.

Our whole family enjoyed it- and we have a quite a range of ages and nationalities to please in our family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Pixar masterpiece, 28 Nov 2012
yiddoboy (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brave [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
After poor trailers and indifferent reviews I decided not to take the family to the Cinema for this one. What a huge mistake! Purchased on blu ray and the family loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this in the cinema and couldn't wait for it to some out on DVD. Pre-ordered it, and it arrived the day after it was released - a day late, but I guess this could be as it's nearly Christmas.

I then spent the evening watching it with my university housemates - three 20 year old girls who loved it as much as I did. In the cinema, I saw it with my 20 year old boyfriend who also enjoyed it.

Expect a well written Disney Pixar story, with beautiful artwork/animation. Being set in Scotland, the characters all have Scottish accents, but it is easy to understand what they are saying. Two of my housemates went off to ring their Mums after watching it, showing the emotional story has true heartfelt meanings.

You will laugh, you will cry, and you will fall in love with the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Great but pretty good., 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
I was surprised to read some quite vitriolic 1 and 2 star reviews about this film. I really don't think it deserves the opprobrium heaped upon it. One review even criticised the Scottish accents which was bizarre given that many of the principal voice artists were Scottish.

The animation is superb and the Scottish Tourist Board must have got down on bended knee to give thanks and praise to Pixar for the lingering, sweeping shots of stunning scenery.

The story is fine. Merida, a feisty independent young maiden who's extremely proficient with a bow and arrow rebels against the proposition that she marry a member of another clan in order to promote peace between the clans. She falls out with her mother as a result and ends up doing a deal with a witch to try to change her mother. The change turns out to be a physical one rather than the change of heart Merida was expecting as mum turns into a huge brown bear. The film turns into a race against time to turn mum back before she transforms from a cute anthropomorphised creature to a bona fide wild animal.

Merida tries various ploys to break the spell including trying to unite the clans and repair a tapestry torn during her spat with mum. Of course the spell is eventually broken and everyone lives happily ever after.

The film features much fun with Highland games being fought to win Merida's hand and the clans come across primarily as bone headed dolts fit only for fighting each other. The scenes with the ethereal Will o the Wisps might be a little too eerie for very young or sensitive children and they may also be upset by the big bear fight at the end.

There are fewer adult gags in this film than previous Pixar offerings and the film feels more 'Disneyfied' which is not necessarily a good thing. I've heard it said that Disney don't consider anything theirs until they've p*ss*d on it. Let's hope that this is not the case with Pixar.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my niece. When we watched it I loved it so much that I bought one for myself. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual feast for the family and the young at heart, 18 Jun 2012
Giang Levan "Fantasia" (Australia) - See all my reviews
They kept on making better and better animation movies. BRAVE is the best animation movies up to now. I would like to congratulate the Pixar studios for bringing such a joy to the world. I have been looking out for this movies and saw this movies on the first day,first session of the special prescreening before it is supposed to be screening the following week. It was so good that I saw it twice on the same day. something I have never done to any movies before. and I will see this movies again and again, it is that good
I hate reading reviews that tell you what happened in the movies. it is like telling who done it in a murder mystery. so I will not tell anything and just let you find out for yourself what happens. I can only tell you that this is a grand masterpiece of animation, an animation at its best, a real beauty set in a fascinating time, a timeless tale It would carry us out of this world into a world full of wonder, beauty, a neverland. It is Magical.
For those who appreciate arts, watch the dresses carefully and compare them with the masterpiece paintings in art galleries. Also watch the facial expressions of the characters and compare them with the best actors and actresses in best acting movies.
One word of warning, do not leave until after the credits or you will miss out something.
It is such a joy and I already enquired about buying it on 3D bluray when it is available

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely film, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this as a gift as I trust Disney to produce great films. I was not disappointed as this is a lovely film with a strong Disney princess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever, 31 Jan 2013
I. Glen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best animated film I have ever seen. The artwork is beautiful. Of course, lots of it is based on the natural beauty of Scotland. The music is haunting and lingers in your mind. The simple story captures the struggles of growing up and making your own path.

Brave [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Brave [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Brenda Chapman (Blu-ray - 2012)
22.99