5.0 out of 5 stars Just Beautiful
Published on 2 Aug 2012 by george brannan

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you don't mind blank screens every now and then
We enjoyed watching this dvd but were less than impressed with the "blank screens" which appeared some of which lasted up to 8 seconds - not a continuous play! We were not sure whether this was supposed to happen or not but its the first time we have encountered this. Otherwise very good footage of animals in their natural habitat, and all they have to endure.
Published 20 months ago by Linda Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Beautiful, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: African Cats [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
The first time that I viewed this title was last October when I returned from the States with African Cats, Thank god for Disney Nature, they have brought back to the table all of the reasons that I used to watch the wonderful world of Disney true life adventures of many years ago. Please do remember the the afore mentioned DTLA was in many way the forerunner to most of the national geographic, and discovery networks programmes that we now enjoy. African Cats more than super seeds any of them. The story is a joy to be part of, the high Def cinema photography is stunning in it's detail. In short if this type of Movie is your thing you would be utterly mad not to purchase this title. PS Keep a look out for another Disney Nature release with chimpanzee this is also out of this world

5.0 out of 5 stars Disneynature - Back In Business - BLU RAY REVIEW, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: African Cats [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
There was a time when Disney just made great nature films. Those were the days when you went to the cinema and the B feature might be a Disney Nature documentary that usually outclassed the animated film that followed you'd actually gone to see.

Two British directors and the camera work of Simon King (of Autumn/Winter/Spring Watch) literally have bought Disney back into the fold. The picture quality is absolutely stunning. The sound quality is amazing - rattled one of my back speakers when the lions roared! And production quality is top notch.

Have they Disneyfied it? Well you could argue yes. But bad things happen. Cubs go missing, other animals get killed and yes the animals mate, but not on camera. On a hunt they show the capture but not the gory kill. You don't have to sit with your kids whilst the lions rut away, but by that you really get a better film, because that is what this is - more than a documentary.

First class stuff, looking forward to getting Chimpanzee and seeing others coming out.

And there lies the issue. Availability.

Considering the rampant desire we have in this country for wildlife documentaries it is curious how long this took to become available. I know they ran it in the cinema, but this is one of those films you need to get to show off your Blu Ray.

Like another reviewer I am partially sighted in one eye, in fact my vision can vary dramatically and I bought a HD TV and Blu Ray so that I could SEE things better. I've even been moved a bit closer to the telly by my missus.

It brings back memories of sitting close to the TV as a kid. And this film makes you feel like that awed child in the cinema again.

Just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical - Disney at their very best..., 6 Sep 2012
Duncan Rose "Dunk" (Billingborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: African Cats [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this movie at the cinema several months ago now with my 3-year old son. He was fascinated by it - and I was captivated by both the awe-inspiring cinematography (from air and land of the Masai-Mara) and also the beautiful soundtrack.
The original screening took a lot of criticism for the narration (provided by Samuel L Jackson) which I, although agree was a bit cheesy in places, thought was quite harsh criticism. Regardless Disney have replaced the original narration in the DVD release with a much improved narration by Patrick Stewart.
The film is just the right length at under 1.5 hours and there isn't a dull moment throughout.
If you like nature doco's this is a MUST. Kids from 3-up will appreciate it and you'll need a box of tissues at hand for your Mum!
Truly amazing!!! Nothing short of 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you don't mind blank screens every now and then, 20 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars So lovely, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: African Cats [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Me and the kids loved this dvd.
so vivid and so well made. lovely film and we all thoroughly enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars African Cats - Just Amazing, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: African Cats [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Amazing quality with briliant story lines behind the families of the cats covered. A must for any wild cat lover with drama and emotion throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great family DVD, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: African Cats [DVD] (DVD)
My 12 year old daughter loves this - well filmed, great story and interesting narration. We both felt for the cats through their triumphs and hardships!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 May 2012
This review is from: African Cats (DVD)
This film is well worth buying, you can watch it again and again, it is mesmerising and beautiful. Buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not that good, 15 Oct 2011
If, like me, you watch every documentary going on big cats you are probably not going to learn a lot from this. I didn't find it as fascinating as 'The Crimson Wing' and the soundtrack was pretty disappointing (for a Disney film). I'd like to have given it 3.5 stars. To be blunt it's not National Geographic or BBC Wildlife.

The photography is stunning (I believe a lot of the senior production team were BBC veterans) and the film is a nice length. The narration could have been written better and much as I like Samuel L Jackson he was not the right choice as narrator - but let's face it who could equal Attenborough. In places the storyline seems too contrived not a live version of 'The Lion King', but it could have benefitted from being a bit less 'U' and more 'PG'. I'm sorry but a nature documentary should not be softened for children - I know it's Disney, but I don't recall 'The Crimson Wing' being this sugary.

I must admit before watching this I had never seen Cheetahs go in such deep water or 5 male lions group together as they do in this. I don't want to say anything about the plot and ruin what happens, but you really pity the lion cub Mara and her mother (I know it's nature).

The one thing which really bugged me was you never find out the sexes of Sita's young. I highly recommend watching the credits, though with mute on to hide the dreadful Jordin Sparks song, to see the animal credits - my personal favourite being Sita's 'stunt double'.

My little rant about the film has to be about the way it's being sold. I only wanted the DVD version. If I owned a Blu-Ray I would only want the BR version. Yes I could sell the other disc, but truth be known I'm lazy and I'd sooner not have to pay for it all. Disney seem to be getting in the habit of this (Cinderella being another recent example). I don't want a debate with anyone about the merits of Blu-Ray v ordinary. I don't like Blu-Ray and do not appreciate having to pay for something I don't want (no it is not available singly). Neither do I appreciate releases including 3D and 2D versions - I'm nearly blind in one eye. It's not that I don't like 3D, I just can't see it - forcing people into buying things they can never watch is not clever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: African Cats [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent buy my girlfriend loves animals and she loved this! Going to collect Disney nature DVDs now! Great for learning too!

African Cats [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
African Cats [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Keith Scholey (Blu-ray - 2012)