5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant watch for checking HR
Published on 20 Jan. 2011 by Roger

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful
This is a very limited piece of kit. I assumed from the good reviews and mid-range price that it would be useful, but it's functions are way too limited for my liking - bear in mind I am a real beginner runner - and it's really fiddly and annoying to use.

One button does everything??!

You can't even see how long you have been running for while you...
Published on 14 Oct. 2012 by joeboom

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant watch for checking HR, 20 Jan. 2011
I love this watch. I started running a few weeks ago and it coincided with my cheap Casio watch strap breaking. I decided to buy this Polar one as my everyday watch for telling the time but also for checking my Heart Rate while trying to get fit by running on roads. It shows the time and day and date, then can start a stopwatch while measuring HR. When stopped it saves the Average and Max HR. Good for checking for improvement in fitness. The chest strap (HR Monitor) is comfortable, adjustable and has never failed to detect my HR (a good thing i guess). Comfortable slim lightweight watch that i wear even in the shower. Only has one button but easy to operate. I use it alongside the MiCoach App on my iphone giving me all sorts of measurements. Great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but the alarms are too quiet, 17 Jan. 2012
I bought this, my first heart rate monitor to help me understand the level I should be working at whilst out running or on the bike. This little device is excellent at putting you in the right zone of effort for what you want to achieve out of your workout. However, it is a shock to the system to see how far out your own judgement can be in comparison so you have to learn to trust it (e.g. run you long runs much slower initially). I would have given it a five, but it seems to share a common fault with most devices like this, in that the alarm beeps (which you rely on to keep you in the right zone as it saves you constantly looking)are too quiet for me when out running or on the bike so I often miss them and end up looking at the watch too much. I would reccomend that anyone buying something like this, checks out the volume level of the device before making a purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Model HRM, 6 Feb. 2013
This is a basic model HRM, I didn't really research it enough and it doesn't give the calories burned, but that's okay as I can work it out. Apart from that it's easy to use and it isn't uncomfortable to wear or anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars this was my first heartrate watch and i love it !, 1 Dec. 2013
fantastic is all i can say . very easy to use and setup.. great price ,dont exercise much without it

4.0 out of 5 stars Good HR monitor for the price, 9 Nov. 2011
fitnessmad (Lytham St Annes) - See all my reviews
With so many monitors out there and with the big differences in prices its hard to pick the right one.

For £35 you cant go wrong with this watch. It has a chest strap which connects effortlessly to the watch and provides for an accurate and dependable reading, the chest strap also connects to the life fitness machines found at many gyms which is handy.

It also has a stop watch and built in file capability which allows you to store data. It also has the ability to set your minimum and maximum heart rate zones so as to easily show you what percentage you are working at.

Downsides to this watch include the exclusion of a back light which may be a problem if you like running at night and there arnt many lamp posts around. Id say the watch itself is of a plasticy build which some people may find a bit flimsy, i do think it will take the punishment of hard workouts though. Lastly its not really that waterproof and you should be aware of this fact when running in the rain, just dont press the button when its wet and you wont have a problem.

So for £35 im more than happy with what the watch offers. Il finish by saying that monitoring your heart rate is extremely important in exercise so that you know you are working in your target zone, you cant go wrong with a watch like this in your gym kit.

4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Dec. 2011
I wanted a watch that would accurately monitor my heart rate as I'ved reached that middle age when exercise is essential after years of inactivity. The watch does exactly what it says and the chest strap that monitors your heart rate works perfectly. The chest strap is made of a solid piece of rubber that sits on your chest and an elastic strap that connects to one side of the rubber piece then goes around your body to connect to the other side of the rubber piece. At first I thought this would be uncomfortable but you can adjust the size of the elastic strap to make it fit ok. The solid piece of rubber is quite soft and moulds to your body. It will work for both men and women. The watch itself has only one button to view different displays or change settings. It can sometimes be a little fiddly but it does work. You need to set time and date as well as age and exercise zone high and low heart rate. The watch will beep when you go out of this range which makes sure you exercise at a safe heart rate to either get fit, lose weight etc. The internet will give you lots of info on how to calculate this safe range based on your gender and age, or ask your Doctor. Very happy with purchase and would recommend for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice big numbers for slightly blind people!, 7 Jun. 2013
Katie Turner (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
I have used polar heart rate monitors before and always been pleased. The strap fits comfortably, I usually forget I am even wearing it. The readings are constantly accurate and never let you down/lose signal or contact.

My main reason for choosing this particular polar heart rate monitor is that I am rather long sighted (+4.5 dioptre both eyes) and I wanted a watch with a big enough readout for me to see with out glasses or contacts. This completely fits the bill, and I am really pleased, no more squinting at tiny figures trying to make out what they're saying.

The heart touch sensor, which enables you to switch between different modes (time of day, heart rate, workout time so far) is a surprising and unexpected bonus, and I find it really useful, especially on the bike to not have to fiddle around pressing buttons to switch between these modes.

Of note there is no way to upload data from this product to your PC, I think it can be done with the purchase of a separate piece of kit to add on, but I haven't tried. You can however review your average and max heart rate for the session at the end of your workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Polar FT2 - a great addition to your training kit!, 11 Oct. 2011
As someone who has been going to the gym several times a week for the last 3 years, I've only just got round to training by using target heart rates. Having done the usual enquiries via gym staff and the Internet, I was after a basic heart rate monitor, no frills.

This is exactly what you get with the Polar FT2 - it does what it does, very, very well.

It doesn't hold more than the last session of training you did, but I'm not that interested in that. If you are, then you'll need to write each session down; not a big deal, though, is it? Reviews elsewhere have also criticised this unit due to its changing display by holding the wrist watch next to the sender unit (the part strapped to your chest). Some people have found that your natural arm movement during excercise brings the 2 units together and changes the display repeatedly and annoyingly. I haven't ever found this to be a problem. The chest unit is comfortable to wear, once you're used to it and it doesn't move during any excercise.

You can set a maximum and minimum heart rate and the wrist display flashes and beeps quietly to indicate when you are outside those set ranges. Note that it is necessary to wet the contact areas of the chest sender unit to get a good contact, but once the wrist watch has connected, I have had no problems. The gym equipment picks up the sender unit, no trouble, and the signal is coded so no annoying picking up of other monitors nearby.

If I had to be really picky - you can't change the battery in the chest sender unit. It lasts a couple of years, according to the blurb, and replacement units aren't that much more than the cost of the battery! I suppose that's what keeps the sender unit watertight, so not really a huge problem.

To sum up, a very good, basic heart rate monitor for a sensible price. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, effective training aid, 25 Feb. 2013
Got this to assist my training targets on a new cross trainer. Simple to set up (basically, set the time and date and your age), simple to start (one button press).

The log only keeps the last session, so if you want to track stuff you will need to note this manually yourself, but no dfficulty in that. Tells you your average and peak heart rate over the timed duration.

Comfortable to wear (for me, male) - hardly notice it at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 29 Jan. 2014
I am currently a full time athlete and require as part of my everyday training a Heart Rate Monitor. I recently attended a High Altitude Training Camp and required a Heart Rate Monitor prior to leaving.This style is ideal for the purpose. The price was in the bracket i was looking for and delivery was quick