5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and so current and relevant

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and not really focused on UK
Published on 27 April 2012 by Green Book Addict Librarian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and so current and relevant, 31 Jan 2012
I bought this book to help enhance my craft business and I have not been disappointed. It gives fantastic tips right from the beginning when you are thinking about starting a business right through to how to build your business up further using social networking, pr and marketing, packaging etc. A brilliant book and having been written in 2011/2012 it is very current for the economic climate and the use of current technologies for marketing etc. Worth it's weight in gold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, 31 Jan 2012
I wish I'd discovered this book earlier! It is ideal for anyone thinking about or just starting a craft/creative business. I love the way the author draws from her own experience of running a craft business and the interviews at the back of the book are very inspiring. It was also great to find a book that refrences the U.K. because I find that a lot of these craft business books are geared towards the U.S. market. Good stuff, I recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and not really focused on UK, 27 April 2012
I've very disappointed in this book because it gets really good reviews and the author is based in the UK which I expected would mean that the book would have a UK focus. It doesn't. In every aspect in the book, the USA is listed first and the UK as an afterthought. There are also several instances in the book where the author is talking about some aspect of business and it is unclear whether it refers to the UK or not. Sometimes there is a big bold heading like "UK" or other times it's a smaller font "UK readers" and sometimes there is indication of whether the author is referring to something applicable to the US or the UK. If you are already in business in whatever country then perhaps these are things that are known, but since this book is aimed at people just starting out, then this is information that is not known (and probably why they bought the book!) and it needs to be clearly stated. Here's an example:

"Get a Business License
This is a an annual license, usually purchased via your county clerk, that allow you to operate a business within your state"

This is obviously for the US readers,but do UK readers need a Business License? No clue. Following on from that, the next paragraph talks about DBA (Doing Business As) - Fictitious Business Name. This again is for US readers, and then after that paragraph IN BRACKETS is the info for the UK readers for DBA or "Trading AS" as it is known in the UK)

The other issue that I was surprised about was the fact that after setting up her crafty business, she made a lot of mistakes which resulted in her business failing and "I was forced to sell my home and pretty much declare myself bankrupt as I simply couldn't keep up with all the loan repayments." There is no mention of this in the product description, all it says is "Alison McNicol is a UK-based crafty entrepreneur who has launched several successful craft businesses, selling her products in stores worldwide." This is a little misleading in my opinion. Yes she launched a craft business and sold into department stores but she didn't continue to be successful. I guess there is something to learn from the author's mistakes like don't grow too big too fast, don't overstretch yourself and don't borrow too much money but these are pretty obvious things that most people know already. I would rather learn from someone who is still running a successful craft business, not someone who failed at it. Sorry if that seems harsh but this book is not what I expected and not useful in the main to UK crafters.

Mostly I didn't get much out of this book that wasn't already available in other books. The book has been returned.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a useful and interesting book!, 16 Jan 2012
Adam Weir (Livingston West Lothian) - See all my reviews
There are so many people in the world with super craft skills but not so experienced on the business side (like me!)
Easy to read and the author's logical thinking is very useful. I look forward to putting some of the ideas into practice.

3.0 out of 5 stars UK as an added extra, 18 April 2012
Ponytail (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this book based solely on the reviews here on Amazon, and I must admit, I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a book written for UK crafters, which would cover the areas that other craft business books don't. However, this isn't the book I was hoping for. Yes, it does have UK information but not very much - it's still heavily biased towards US crafters, and UK contacts and legal matters are added on. I would not feel safe relying on this book to let me know about UK legal and business resources, as I feel the author just looked for the UK equivalent of whatever she knew about the US market.
I was also disappointed that there was very little mention of online selling through Etsy and Folksy. For a beginning craft seller, these are easy ways of dipping your toe into the crafts market, without committing too much upfront.
However, I will give it three well-earned stars as there was some really practical information that I hadn't come across before, and I got the impression this was knowledge the author had learned the hard way. For this info alone, I won't be returning the book or passing it on, so overall, it's a fairly good title.
Therefore, I'm still waiting for a UK version of a title that is as good as "Craft Inc" or "The Handmade Marketplace" are for US crafters.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth a read, 16 April 2013
worth a read - keep your notebook with you whilst reading thee are some very good points to bear in mind, although it is all very much good common sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent transaction, 8 April 2013
the book covers all the aspects I wanted to to know to progress my jewellery buisness skills when making jewellery, very easy to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book, 29 Mar 2013
Lots of excellent information for anyone wanting to set up their own craft business and I keep it in my sewing box so I know where it is when I need to check on something. Brilliant little book of information.

4.0 out of 5 stars clear and easy to follow., 27 Feb 2013
Good book, easy to understand and has good ideas and good information.
Worth the money and very helpful. Worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars crafty, 12 Nov 2012
Mrs. Deborah P. Peart "dragon50" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
this book is very interesting, a must if you are thinking of starting a buisness, it does everything for you, i havent finished it as yet,
i looked at few buisness books but decided on this one as its very easy reading, and you dont need a degree to be able to read it, lots of advice and help all in this little big book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›