on 2 May 2012
As it's the season of "Titanic", and having read Dr. Ballard's book on the discovery, I thought I'd give this a fly. I'm glad I did. It contains three documentaries, each taking the disaster from a different, and very interesting, perspective. In his book, Ballard says nothing about the quid pro quo with the US Navy on the use of the Woods Hole equipment to solve two submarine disasters, whose wrecks lay two miles down - I guess it was secret then. The lessons learned from those investigations turned out to be invaluable in the hunt for the "Titanic". The third documentary, in which a US Coastguard investigator has made iron rivets very like those used on the bow section of the "Titanic", and then subjects them to the sort of stress the ship would have experienced on hitting the iceberg, was fascinating - the ship may have sunk because the machine used to rivet the rest of the ship (and which used superior steel rivets) wouldn't fit in the bow section, and the rivetting there had to be done by hand, and with the old iron ones. It also makes clear that other alleged causes of the disaster (the lookouts' lack of binoculars, the speed of the ship, the failure to pass on the ice warning of "Californian") were reflections of the practices of the day, from which nobody deviated.

The only (slight) minus point is the natural awkwardness and stiltedness of re-enacted conversations for the benefit of the production.
on 13 August 2013
Bought to replace my video of the discovery of the Titanic, I considered the other two programmes a bonus, no matter how good they were. The fact that both turned out to be excellent, makes this a very good value for money disc. The first programme covers Bob Ballard's deal with the U.S. Navy to go looking for the Titanic after he had found and researched the wrecks of two sunken American Nuclear submarines. The second , is the the search and discovery of the Titanic itself, and the third is an investigation into whether the construction techniques used on her could have contributed to her demise. Recommended.
on 30 March 2014
I like how these DVDs have their own individuality in regards to subjects I'd never thought of before. All I would say is they're a little dated so don't buy them if you're looking for something up-to-date. The most recent DVD made I own and it's AMAZING! Sorry can't remember which it is. But I do love bob ballards story as I feel that's where it all began for me because there never would have been this much recognition of the titanic if he hadn't found it - I believe anyway. Defiantly recommended.
on 11 January 2014
Back in the eighties I had Secrets of the Titanic on VHS. I wanted to watch it again but had trouble tracking it down. When I found this DVD set I couldn't resist when I discovered Secrets on it.

Secrets of the Titanic was one of the first post-discovery documentaries about the Titanic, and it does show to an extent in the relative crudity of the illustrative models and diagrams included. That doesn't diminish the quality of the work however, it's still an excellent account of the discovery and first exploration of the wreck. For example I think it's pretty much the only documentary out there that has the complete footage of the moment of discovery, not the cut down version that's usually used in subsequent works. I used to have a copy of the accompanying hardback book as well, The Discovery of the Titanic, but that sadly disappeared in a house move years ago. I wish I could track down a pristine copy of that as well for a reasonable price!

The second documentary, Titanic's Nuclear Secrets, is also a very good watch although it's really only tangentially related to the Titanic. It's interesting to know what Ballard was really up to when he was supposed to be looking for Titanic, and the investigation into the submarine accidents covered is definitely interesting and watchable.

The Seconds From Disaster episode is pretty much the weak link. Normally I like that show but I don't feel their Titanic episode was the best work they've done, and it doesn't really add anything significant that hasn't already been covered a thousand times before in any number of better documentaries.

Still, 2 out of 3 certainly isn't bad, and at this price you can't really complain that you get one dud.
on 28 October 2014
The first two documentaries are very interesting but don't give a complete picture of the Titanic disaster. I suppose the third was added to conclude however I found it badly researched and ill informed. The break up was completely overlooked!!! And 45 minutes is too short for a comprehensive guide to the sinking. So three stars for the lack of information and poorly conceived compilation.
The only upside was the rather dated documentaries about how the wreck was found.

As someone who has been interested in Titanic since the age of 6 and have learned a great deal over the years I am very disappointed pointed with this set.
on 10 March 2014
This looked rather dated so I'd say this is likely to only engage those already interested in the subject. Informative, interesting and gives us a rare insight into The Titanic.
on 20 January 2013
This was purchased as a gift. The recipient was delighted with it. A must for all those who continue to be fascinated/intrigued by the Titanic Disaster.
on 21 February 2013
very interesting dvd.gives new perspectives on the mystery of the sinking of the titanic.would recommend to anyone who is interested in this story
on 28 December 2014
3 superb documentaries looking at the facts and legend from unique perspectives. Recommended for education and entertainment in equal measure.
on 28 December 2013
a great three part series looking at titanic and meeting survivors and more a must for all titanic collectors , definately