Colour Name: Black - Body|Change
Price:£478.13 - £519.92

on 22 May 2013
I have been quite hesitant to buy this camera due to mixed reviews.
On one hand I would love to have a smaller camera by my side while wandering the London streets. But coming from the long years of film photography (still shooting it with Pentax Z1p) I wouldn't sacrifice the image quality for the smaller factor. Adding to that the fact that I have plenty of excellent Pentax lenses - the K-01 was a perfect match for me with APS-C sensor of well regarded K5 and ability to take *ANY* lens that Pentax has ever made. And bearing in mind that I REALLY want is a serious full frame camera from Pentax, hence not willing to buy K5IIs which is wonderful but still APS-C camera I finally decided to go with K-01 for now, hoping that Pentax will release a FF camera one day. And if they not ? Well - I will still be better off having my film cameras glassed up PLUS having excellent lenses at hand to turn my innocent K-01 into an ultimate shooting monster :P

The camera arrived on next day from Amazon. I was slightly concerned by the fact that the box was previously opened - the camera wasn't actually used - I ignored the glitch.
It takes some research and getting used to, but slowly I can say that this is a fantastic piece of equipment at a giving away price which will definitely serve the purpose of walk around, advanced (a little bulky though - I do admit that) compact camera with an excellent image quality and ability to justify my Lens' Buying Addiction.

EDIT: After some months of using it camera still impresses with elegant design, general robustness and excellent quality photos it delivers.. Now I am worried that one day it will die and there is no K-02 planned for the time being.. Pentax / Ricoh should continue the line of K-mount mirrorless cameras imho !

Regards
on 5 January 2013
A wonderful camera, works (ie provides focus confirmation and anti-shake) with every Pentax lens ever made, plus plenty of others (eg I have a microscope adapter). Good in low light too. it produces nice video with acceptable sound, plus the ability to add an external microphone. Too many other features to list - the manual is only slightly shorter than the Lord of the Rings.

One piece of advice - when it arrived, ie out of the box, the focus speed was ok, but certainly nothing to be thrilled about. It was a simple matter to download the latest firmware (v1.01) from the Pentax site, and this gave a VERY noticeable improvement in focus speed.
on 17 June 2013
Bought for £299, this is an excelent camera for the money. For me its not as comfortable to hold as an SLR and I miss the viewfinder. However the image quality is amazing. I had a Pentak K-7 and the improvment in image quality and low light performance quickly promoted this to the camera of choice.

The Pancake lens is excelent, and quick to focus. Its boxy shape, is perfect for positioning for self protraits/group shots when you dont have a tripod avaliable.

The LCD can be difficult to see in bright daylight and it lacks the speed and handeling charcteristics of an SLR. Its also quite large, certainly not a pocket camera. But overall it is an excelent camera. If you generally shoot using live view, I would strongly recomend it.
on 9 January 2013
Takes perfectly good pictures most of the time. Wish I'd bought the lens with it as the Pentax lenses I have for another Pentax DSLR seem a bit sticky when auto-focusing in low light. Still mastering the technique of viewing through the screen esp in bright conditions.
on 30 May 2013
Reasons to choose it:
- excellent image quality
- good pancake lens
- k-mount camera
- focus peaking (makes manually focusing easily)
- long battery life
- very well built body
- nice design
on 13 December 2012
Excellent product, very nicely made, produces excellent quality photographs however I think best used in one of the manual mode settings, Amazon provided a fast efficient service.
on 17 June 2013
Superb quality. Great image quality and solid body. Why buy a canon or a nikon if you can heve better? PENTAX is and will be the Winner!
on 1 August 2013
nice,,easy to use,,high quality. good looking. it is fantastic to take photos for people, it is worthy the price. you will love it.
on 5 February 2014
I bought this (fortunately at a good price as a daily deal) thinking I could dust off my old lenses with the Pentax K mount. I did, and they work (of sorts), but I quickly concluded that such heavy lenses belonged to a previous era.

The bundled 18-55mm lens is good but limited in its zoom range so I invested in the Tamron 18-200mm lens. The rechargeable battery is quite big, but it does keep the camera running for a long time.

The big limitation of this camera is the autofocus which is unreliable. I have turned it off and developed the habit of zoom in, manually focus and then zoom out to frame the shot.
on 18 October 2013
the first thing to be said is that the camera bought (with 18-55mm lens) has a picture quality that is (I highly suspect) far superior by comparison to all its similarly priced competitors. I know it to be superior to a number of similarly priced and higher priced/lens specced panasonic canon nikon and sony cameras...and with a prime lens fitted I suspect the story will be the same. it's somewhat squat and square but its looks (for me) are highly attractive...and it is very easy to handle/hold. the build quality is superb with the button arrangement (by and large) being superbly simplistic. a viewfinder would have been good as the rear screen can be difficult (in the sunshine) to view..but an anti-glare screen guard will more than half that problem. I could give more column inches to it's (many) pros and (scantly scarce) cons but the bottom line is that it produces stupendous photos..and exceeds the (previously trialled/owned by me) panasonic g2 canon 650d sony a65/nex f3 and nikon d7000 (YES nikon d7000) for picture quality. if you're in the market for a dslr camera for under £400 I would highly recommend the k-01 and urge you to give it a try. its price has come down dramatically in the past few months and it looks set to drop even more in the coming months and be readily available at under £300. it should (in my opinion) go down as a classic..but its radical looks will probably exclude it from being proudly placed somewhere on a plinth..apart that is (rightly) from the pentax hq. I have been in the process of looking for a quality dslr for many months and a pentax was on my list to try. it has consequently been the last of a number of popular branded cameras that I have bought/looked to evaluate and I can unequivocally say that (for me) I left the best until last...
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse