5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive
I started watching Season 1 over a month ago via Itunes and got instantly addicted to it - what a great show and it took me 1 episode to get hooked. What makes it really stand out for me and makes it so addictive to watch is the casting: there isn't a bad actor in the bunch--and they are all believable as Southern archetypes.

Nelsan Ellis as the short order...
Published on 18 May 2012 by Dad

3.0 out of 5 stars Good on most formats - poor on a MAC
Bought as a gift for my daughter (student) - arrived quickly - plays OK on most formats but season 3 and 4 won't play on a MAC, that was the main reason for purchase as daughter watches movies on her lap top when away from home.
Published 19 months ago by Mark T

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 18 May 2012
Dad "Just a DAD" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: True Blood - Season 1-4 Complete (HBO) [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

Nelsan Ellis as the short order cook/drug dealer Lafayette and Stephen Moyer and Anna Paquin as the romantic leads give mesmerizing performances.

True Blood is an interesting set of stories by Faulkner, who says that the only thing really worth writing about (or thinking about, by extension) is the human heart in conflict with itself.
The Southern United States depicted in True Blood is conflict embodied--you are a supposed to be a good Christian, and follow the rules of an established society, but you live in the middle of a swamp so dense and wild that it believably could be home to minions of Satan, like vampires.

It's a lot to think about. If you are one of those artistic/professional types with too much to do, don't start watching this; it becomes an obsession.

Subsequently I have now purchased series 2 - 4 and am enjoying immersing myself into the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Watching, 11 Oct 2012
I'd describe True Blood as Buffy for grown ups, the violence is more graphic, sex scenes raunchier, comedy darker and story lines longer. It's thoroughly addictive and great fun, if you grew up on dawsons creek, angel and various American soaps, this is one you can enjoy without feeling like its aimed purely at teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely Fantastic!, 30 Nov 2012
Careyjo (Rutland, England) - See all my reviews
Stuck in bed for a week with flu and watched all four seasons back to back! Including most of the 'extras'. Now I can follow season 5, currently showing on TV. I had seen most of season 1 when it was first shown, but for one reason or another (husband not really in to it) I didn't persevere. Now I'm back on track and so glad I tried again. Dark, funny, sexy. It is all I had hoped for, and then some. Yes, some of the writing is a bit weak in places, but overall it's fantastic. Love Pam, Jessica and Lafeyette, and could watch Alcide all day long. Thank goodness HBO has committed to season 6. As others have said, waiting "SUCKS!".

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 18 Mar 2013
Janice Rothwell (Bolton. England) - See all my reviews
Slightly dissapointed the series was not faithfull to the book.
The casting was nothing like the books descriptions and the story line was also unfaithful.
Don't buy it just because you like the books as dissapointment will follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Amazing!, 20 Feb 2013
I started watching True Blood less than a year ago, although initially I didn't think that it was a television show that would appeal to me. On the surface,without watching it, my initial thoughts were "okay, so its x rated vampires......." and i wasn't overly interested. But my friend insisted to me that I would like it, and she was right.

The writing of this show is immense, the one liners and witty dialogue just works on so many levels, and the most interesting thing to me about True Blood - is that they live in mainstream society. So, instantly the "this is a secret" plotline is gone, so they have to work around that. Each charactr is layered, and so three dimensional, there are no filler characters.

Often the lead female character fails to impress in supernatural/dark/vampire type tv shows or films, but Sookie is full of spunk, attitude and determination with the sensitive site too. And the chemistry between Sookie and Bill, and Sookie and Eric is electric throughout.

Despite the fact that Charlaine Harris's books were written prior to Twilight, the best way I can describe this show is, its Twilight for Adults but 10000X times better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Addicting, 1 Feb 2013
Janelle M. Woodard (Regina, SK Canada) - See all my reviews
I stumbled upon this show over Christmas 2012 and became utterly addicted. I watched all 5 seasons in 5 days. Glad I took some time off from work... I loved this show so much that I purchased all the seasons I could get my hands on and I plan to do another marathon prior to the 6th season starting. Some of the story lines are a little far fetched, but that is why they call it fantasy. This show is quite entertaining and the chemistry between the actors is some of the best on TV. If you haven't seen this show, watch just 1 episode and you will be utterly addicted too.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Blood, 5 May 2014
Arrived on time for my dad. Good series I'm told lol. No problem playing and no damage to dvd's so go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just gets better, 3 Mar 2014
S. Robinson (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
Watched on TV but missed a few but as it looked good decided to buy the set. Glad I did. Really great cast and although it's about vampires and werewolves, the old adage of what works don't break, there are some really good story lines. The makers can get away with it as set in the Deep South where, if it is to be believed, anything can and does happen

5.0 out of 5 stars Will keep you entertained, 11 Jan 2014
I love the Sookie Stackhouse books, this series is not like the books at all but I still enjoyed it and passed many hours without interruption of ads!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 9 Jan 2014
C. Lynch "u2fancat" (Cork City, Republic of Ireland) - See all my reviews
I love this series, and the box set is well worth having for the extras, as well as the chance to just get to see all those episodes again. The audio commentaries and Inside the Episode features are fascinating.

True Blood - Season 1-4 Complete (HBO) [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]