Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Cloud Drive Photos Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 4 February 2005
I loved this book because it gave me a new way of reading folk stories and an understanding of archetypes which really opened up a lot of thought for me. I take issue with the reviewers who claim it is solely a self-help book-it offers a tool for perceiving the world in a freed up imaginitive way...and where is the hatred of men? I can't find any -only a love of humanity and an empowering vision of life lived meaningfully.
on 22 August 2004
I really love her voice and the way she gives you time to "read". I love audio book of WWRWW because it is easier to "read" than printed version ... For me, the book in the "book" version is quite dense and sometimes hard to read.
on 10 August 1999
A wonderful book in which so many wonderful things regarding a woman psyche is revealed and discovered. A must for all woman and really worthwhile when you have your own children. A wonderful and enriching book that can be read and re-read all the time.
on 24 March 1998
Estes has provided a great service to us all by preserving and interpreting these archetypal stories that pass on the wisdom of the generations that precede us with regard to living, loving, rites of passage, and dying. Second only to Joseph Campbell's work (The Power of Myth) in it's power to explain many of the facets of our lives. As equally valuable to men as to women.
on 19 October 1996
When you are suddenly aware that your "soul" is speaking to you and telling you to confront the most profound secrets of your life, what do you do? Head to the nearest psychiatrist's couch? Cower in depression? I was fortunate enough to tell a friend who recommended I immediately read Women Who Run With the Wolves. Clarissa Pinkola Estes explores a number of myths, some familar and some unfamilar to most readers of the Western "canon," to reassure women going through this transformation that they are not "crazy," but are developing an awareness of the tranforming power of the "wild" soul. This book is life affirming, life saving, and one to read and reread throughout your life. I only wish Dr. Pinkola Estes had written some follow up works to this book that sings "truth" on every page. G. J. Fruit
on 6 March 1997
Pinkola Estes is an anthropologist and psychologist who has studied ancient womens stories. She analizes the values being taught by those stories and explains how they were meant to warn the young ones about these situations in their own lives. If you want to discover these things for yourself, this is the book for you. I have given this book as a gift and it was well received. We could all use a grandmother like this to tell us of the pitfalls. And coloful stories to help us remember the lessons.
on 8 December 2007
Mothers read this book and pass it on to your daughters.One of the few'books i have sat up all night reading and couldnt put down.Once in a blue moon a book blows into my life and i know that after reading it i can never look at my life in quite the same way again.It lit a fire that i put out at my peril.Keep snarling sisters and baring your teeth.
on 10 June 2007
I'm somewhat astounded at some of the short-sighted reviews of this profoundly insightful book. It certainly has no assumptions that anyone is wrong or needs fixing! It does however look at the evolution of feminine psyche through the eyes of the stories of many cultures, and how these stories can reflect passages of our own journey, and how these stories can provide indications on what can happen and how we can trust ourselves in this process of growth and self knowledge even more. Storytelling is an ancient art where truths were(are!) passed down from generation to generation in entertaining but deeply informative ways to the unconscious. (television is the most prevalent, and perhaps, most destructive storytelling device in our modern culture!) Most of our learning is, sadly, quite unconscious. Pinkola Estes illustrates her rich experience and understanding of these stories, their place in human social and personal psychology and anthropology, and how we can begin to gain more understanding of the stories that have guided us, perhaps unwittingly, and what stories we may choose to live by instead. We write the script. Its a surprisingly very easy, joy-filled read that is great to dip in and out of and return to again and again. Its miles better than any media and television stories most of the populace are being unconsciously programmed with now days. There is no right answer of 'how to' but there are ancient marks on the tree to say, you're safe, you are going in the right direction, and how to trust ourselves to strike out and make trails of our own. This is the Wild Woman journey, me thinks. Certainly every woman would benefit from reading it--with an open heart and mind.

be well!
on 5 May 2011
As I follow Our beloved Dr E, all I can say that this is wonderful, My paper copy of W.W.R.W.T.W has countless post it notes earmarking pages that shout YES! to my soul and I find that this is a useful extension of that.To people that have read the book but not listened to any of Dr E's CDs before I would encourage you to listen to this, if only to hear her beautiful calming voice empowering you and giving you the tools to become the wild woman you are ment to be. The story of La Loba is beautiful and should it sing to your soul as it did mine, you will no doubt gain a great deal from listening to this.
I only wish It contained an audio the Wolf's eyelash as It is one of my favourite pieces of Dr E's work. But never the less it is truly great.
on 14 October 2011
This book is a classic. It explores being a women, change, age and growth. It looks at the history of women and all that individual women can become. It had a great impact on me and I constantly refer back to it. Worth reading for the stories alone.