5.0 out of 5 stars Over 3TB as system boot drive!
First off,I have found this drive to be quiet, relatively fast and good value at £112.00.Plus you get a good warranty,I would therefore recommend this drive if you are confident about it's suitability. If you're not sure see if the below helps.

Published on 13 Aug 2012 by Korin

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor service, I'm disappointed.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
*Included with self-installation kits

Published 7 days ago by AlwaysEddie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 3TB as system boot drive!, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Seagate 3.5 inch 3TB Barracuda Desktop Hard Drive (Accessory)

I thought I'd just write a quick post that may help someone who isn't sure(as I wasn't) if they can use this drive in their machine to full capacity.The following information was gleaned through my own research and a bit of trial and error also. I'm not a I.T expert so forgive me if everything here isn't technically spot on:).Anyway, here are my finding based on my newly built PC and win 7 pro.

1)If this drive is fommatted as MBR(master boot record), then limit is 2.2 TB for a single partition.You can however, recover and use the remaining free space as a separate partition using win 7 or seagates own partition software(freely available for download from their site,this Information comes with the drive)

2)If you wish to use this drive as a single partition of 3TB you need to format drive as GPT type(this can be done with win 7) ,BUT you will still NOT be able to use this as your system BOOT drive at a 3TB partition size Unless, you have a motherboard as described below.

3) If you wish to use this drive as a single partition of 3TB(actually formats to approx 2.8 TB) AND as your system boot drive,then you will need to format drive as a single 3TB GPT partition AND have a Motherboard that supports EFI/UEFI ( apparently new to PC's, but not others, sort of BIOS equivelent)- many of the latest mobo's do have this. As an example, I'm using ASUS sabertooth Z77, which is UEFI and does support this drive as 3TB boot drive.

4) Finally, just for information. I found this particular drive only increased my windows experience figure from 5.7 (using a 350GB sata II 7200rpm drive) to 5.9 with this drive!! So after all my efforts with this hdd, I brought an OCZ vortex 4 256GB SSD and now use that as my boot drive which gives me a windows experience score of 7.9 (for hdd)and boots my system in about 12 seconds! My seagate is now working great as a large data drive.So,there you have it, hope it helps someone.Please feel free to correct any mistakes or add anything I've missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast drive but needs effective cooling as they can become hot, 31 July 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have so far bought four of these, two of which I am using in a RAID configuration and the others were bought on behalf of someone else, and I presume also for RAID.

I installed a pair (bought on my recommendation) in a RAID enclosure for someone only this week and discovered that the chosen enclosure had insufficient cooling and the heat built-up was such that it part-melted some of its internal plastics. In another enclosure, they are running quite cool but it has a fan which the first did not. If to be used for RAID, I would strongly suggest only using a fan-cooled enclosure.

They are fast, thanks to the motor speed, and allow about a 30% boost in transfer rate. They will be slightly faster on reads than on writes, but that is normal for all drives.

If to be used as an upgrade for a slower drive or one with lesser capacity, 3TB offers a better GB/£ ratio than the 4TB drives which are slowly becoming available but which are still disproportionately expensive.

A faster, and less expensive, alternative to some of the 'Green' drives of the same capacity. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great plug and play with a Mac Pro, 8 Oct 2012
Mr. J. J. M. Omara "rabbitears" (london uk) - See all my reviews
Nice to see a 3TB HD running as smoothly as smaller capacities. Not too noisy either. Set up as a time machine backup destination on a 2006 Mac Pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drives, highly recommended, 8 Aug 2012
G. Cooper "Big Farang" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
So far I have brought 6 discs at 3TB each. 4 of them are for my NAS drive, a QNAP TS-412 and they just fitted in and worked, it really was that easy. I've had these for about a month now with no problems at all.

Apart from the 4 drives for my NAS drive, I bought one extra to act as a spare in case I ever get a failure on my QNAP system.

The 6th drive I put into an enclosure with USB 3.0 support to make an external disc drive. I have tested this to look for the read speed from the disc to my Windows 7 and I get an average read speed of 132 MBytes per second over a 5 minute period. This is very impressive indeed. You do need USB 3.0 support though, when I connect this via a USB 2.0 port the speed goes down to about 34 MBytes per second.

As per other comments about this drive, you do need to take care that whatever you connect it to supports 3TB discs. New machines with Windows 7 should not have any problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 3.5 inch 3TB Barracuda Desktop Hard Drive, 10 May 2012
What's there to say really? Personal choice of course, but I don't care what anyone says or what I read about Western Digital - I have purchased 8 x Seagate SATA II HDD's (some from Amazon) and all of them are perfect and without issue.

I read an awful lot about computers having trouble with any HDD size over the limit of 2.2TB's and I have to say I was a little dubious about purchasing my first 3TB drive. *Also note, Seagate are the VERY FIRST manufacturer to develop a 3TB drive that has 1TB each over 3 platters!* Where's WD now eh?

Anyway, yes I read up about my specific MoBo (Motherboard) and checked if it was capable of formatting/initializing the drive as 'GPT' instead of 'MBR'. Nothing was really conclusive online, so I decided to check around my own system via 'Manage' and found that GPT was an option.

I took the plunge, bought this drive, installled into my PC, formatted it as GPT instead of MBR and viola - instantly recognised as a 3000GB drive (or 2.72TB to be precise).

Anyway, excellent HDD, no issues, quick, silent, responsive - nothing bad to say at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor service, I'm disappointed., 24 Oct 2014
Mounting screws*
CD with software and manual*
Quick installation guide*
*Included with self-installation kits

This is from Seagate's own site, but I didn't get most of this things. All I received was the drive, no instruction manuals or screws or anything. Should have looked better into what I was getting, and the seller. Just letting other people know in case they run into the problems I did. I was hoping to get the drive working as soon as I got it, but now I gotta buy all these other bits and bobs... The other problem is in the time I ordered this, I have received and reviewed my sapphire R9 290 which is working perfectly, and many other peripherals that are also working perfectly. This drive so far seems to be a dud, it may be that I'm just missing a cable, but I might have to send it back if it still doesn't work by tomorrow.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed within 11 months., 23 April 2013
Mr. D. E. Hanney (England) - See all my reviews
It worked okay for 11 months then failed - becoming instantly completely inaccessible and taking all my data with it. This could be a one-off but I'm logging this event so that the Amazon ratings bar graph can build up a bigger picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 3TB hard drive, 24 Jun 2012
It arrive before the time stated, easy to install and works fine running at the fast Sata speed. Have used it for my photo and video collections and have had no problem at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play and voluminous, 31 Oct 2013
Andy Finney (Near Rutland Water) - See all my reviews
I've plugged this into my MacPro 1.1 and basically it just works. It's as fast as you'll need. The three terabytes are my new Time Machine archive/backup drive and it is just sucking it all up happily. Onl;y a third full so far, as it should be. This drive will see the old Mac Pro out I'm sure. Great value too.

2.0 out of 5 stars 11.5 months and died, 13 Sep 2013
Like one other reviewer I have reached just over 11 months and have to say very surprised today to find the drive had failed. Have been buying Samsung's recently and had no failures in many years but then...everyone will tell you they have favorites they swear by.

In any case...11 months in cool conditions, left running but usually powered down is not expected in my book...wont be buying another seagate...just need to work out how to return now when sitting here with just a drive in my hand !

When running it was...not the fastest performance wise but ok.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›