5.0 out of 5 stars Smoky jazz with a Latin flavour
Published on 10 Jun 2012 by Sabina

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the special CD+DVD version!!
Published on 9 July 2012 by iRighti

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoky jazz with a Latin flavour, 10 Jun 2012
Sabina (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
Once I got used to the idea that this wasn't going to be exactly like her last two albums, I have so enjoyed these new songs sung in English, French and Portugese. Melody Gardot brings a flavour of Morocco, Buenos Aires and Brazilian beaches to our rain-sodden (so far this summer) island, and Heitor Pereira joins her on 'Amalia' and 'Se Voce Me Ama.' My only quibble is the slick cover, but this is small beer compared to the actual sound of Gardot's lovely, sultry voice creating a dusky holiday mood, be it heartache, sitting outside in a late night cafe, or dancing by the sea on the upbeat 'Lemanja.'
Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exotic Journey, 28 May 2012
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
You'll have to keep me on a short lead here! I might just get carried away!
Melody Gardot's 2009 album 'My One and Only Thrill' blew me away (2007's
'Worrisome Heart' wasn't half-bad either). I see absolutely no reason to
revise my view of this superb performer with her new album 'The Absence'.
Her collaboration with Brazilian producer Heitor Pereira is a thing of
real beauty. Restraint is the key word here. Ms Gardot knows how to make
every note and every word count in this collection of eleven bewitching songs.

Take a number like 'So We Meet Again My Heartache'. With a voice which barely
rises above a tremulous whisper Ms Gardot wrings every last ounce of emotion
from a composition which, with its shimmering string arrangement, touches
something deep in our hearts. It is a transcendent performance. So too with the
shadowy allure of 'My Heart Won't Have It Any Other Way', whose impeccable
phrasing and stunning breath control delivers one of her finest performances
to date. The album is an exotic travelogue whose substantially Latin ambience
is full of longing and regret but when she let's her hair down, as she does on the
luminously upbeat final track 'Iemanga', we are compelled to dance along with her!

No ifs, no buts - this is simply glorious stuff!

Essential.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the special CD+DVD version!!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
There are some lovely songs on the Absence but they are less meaty, less visceral than those on her first two albums. But the thing that REALLY annoyed me was the DVD. Only one of the tracks is an actual video recording, and that's the "making of La Vie en Rose"! The other tracks show only a title on the screen! So we don't even get to see her in performance. This is pretty close to false advertizing and disengenuous packaging. And it's bizarre, too, because there are so many good videos of Ms Gardot on YouTube (e.g., the Apple Studio sessions, the recordings of the Somewhere Over the Rainbow in Norway? Denmark?) If the producers were short of video material, why not put these YouTube recordings on the DVD! And finally: the choice of the cover suggests that Miss Gardot is being bullied by her producers. It's time to talk to Nellie MacKay and maybe form your own label, Melody!

3.0 out of 5 stars 1 DVD CD contains 11 tracks in excellent sound quality and excellent performance DVD contains 3audio tracks, 6 Aug 2014
john orcopoulos (Thessaloniki, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Absence (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
This Box contains 1CD, 1 DVD
CD contains 11 tracks in excellent sound quality and excellent performance
DVD contains 3audio tracks, 1video making of, 1video interview of Melody Gardot
audio tracks in excellent sound quality, 2videos in resolution 720X480 but medium quality by handycam.

The Box contains 16 pages with songs titles and lyrics but NO English language,
maybe some Sumerian or cuneiform writing or chicken scratch language, that it's absolute unreadable !!!
The Box contains also 10 very artistic photos , by my opinion these photos it's a shame for a Great Artist Melody Gardot.

This is NOT RECOMMENDED for usual audience but only for collectors of Melody Gardot fans.
RATING:
for Melody 5stars
for production 1star
average: 3stars

If you have to buy 1 CD only of Melody Gardot then you must buy this.
My One And Only Thrill [2CD Special Edition] CD1: 12tracks, CD2:5tracks
All tracks in excellent sound quality and excellent performance

Before you buy you can listen at low quality in youtube:
"Who Will Comfort Me", "My One And Only Thrill", "Les Etoiles", "Your Heart Is As Black As Night",
"Ain't No Sunshine", "The Rain ",

5.0 out of 5 stars She's something special...., 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
I'm a bit late 'discovering' Melody Gardot, but so glad I have. Lovely laid back songs on this CD, and not one filler - except, perhaps 'Track' 11 Iamanja which is definitely a filler! 18 minutes long, of which 15 minutes is silence. Bizarre - or maybe I've missed the point.... At least it's the last track, so you can stop playing after Track 10. Quality CD , nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very catchy and relaxing, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Absence (MP3 Download)
I love this album it is better than the previous albums, with great tracks throughout, I especially like the track Lisboa.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fan!!!!!, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
Watched the documentary of her accident, etc on Sky Arts and was touched by this amazing women. Thank you to Art Therapy....Melody Gardot you've been added to my music collection. Yep, I have brought all her albums. Couldn't resist......Beautiful.......Beautiful!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wadge of Bristol, 30 Jun 2012
Michael Wadge (Bristol England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
This is the second CD of hers I have purchased and it is very different from the first one, largely because of the South American musical influences of her Producer, Heitor Pereira. Her music is very subtle with a jazzy inflexion and I was initially not sure I would enjoy it very much. However, it has certainly grown on me and I suspect will continue to do so. One can also only admire the difficulties she has had to overcome after her terrible accident some years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 18 Jun 2012
Mr. Paul Edge - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Absence (MP3 Download)
Have bouht her previous 2 albums and couldn't wait for this to come out and it was really worth the wait. Sends goose bumps up your,seems like Melody sings only for me.PERFECTION.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Absence (Audio CD)
What a let down when I saw the art work (pre-realease)of the cd I began to worry what is it trying to say. My One & Only Thrill is a modern classic I feel I will still be captivated by it in many years to come but this is a waste of her talent, average elevator music. Perhaps not quite in a rush to buy the next one she needs to think of what direction & market she is aiming for that is if she has any choice.

The Absence
The Absence by Melody Gardot (Audio CD - 2012)