4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun
Published 20 months ago by ChrisR

3.0 out of 5 stars A game with amazing potential, but not quite there
London 2012 is undoubtedly the best Olympic game to emerge as yet, but there are some issues that prevent it being an astounding game in its own right.

Published 20 months ago by Alsatian1

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 3 Aug 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: London 2012 - The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games (PS3) (Video Game)
Most of the events are easy to learn, but difficult to master. I find myself playing this game a lot more than I did with Beijing 2008, which in my opinion was more difficult. I think the graphics were better in Beijing, but my biggest disappointment is the realism (or lack of) with the scoring system. Only 36 nations compete, and it's always roughly the same 8 nations competing in each final. With only 2 events allowed per day, you soon find 2 nations pulling way ahead of the pack, while the remaining 34 nations finish the Games with only 2 or 3 medals, it takes away a lot of the sense of competition. There should be an option to select the number of events played each day, up to 10 would make the medal table look a bit more realistic.

On the positive side, there's a good selection of events and each one feels very different which gives the overall game more longevity. There isn't very much 'button-bashing' which I used to hate in these type of games. This version is more about timing your button presses rather than bashing away until you break the controller. It's a good game and I would recommend it to anyone. Maybe the price will drop after the real Games have ended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny game, just some minor flaws, 31 Oct 2012
Marcio A. C. Campos (Curitiba, PR, Brazil) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My wife and I have played London 2012 for a few days and, having gone through all events, we can say that it's a really nice Olympics game. We liked the variety of available sports (we haven't played Beijing or Athens to compare), and having things like shooting, keirin cycling, weightlifting, kayak and trampoline was a very nice thing. We also appreciated a lot the effort put in more "complex" sports like beach volleyball and table tennis.

We grew up used to the button-mashing system and were happy to see that London 2012 dropped it almost entirely (only weightlifting requires the "classic" button-mashing). In the rest of the sports, most of the instructions are designed to replicate the body movements of the athlete. As a previous reviewer said, some sports are easy to learn and hard to master. Some other ones are easier (I broke the high jump world record in my first attempt playing it), but to me it looks like one may never reach the point of being able to repeat the perfect movement every time.

Athletes names and faces aren't the real ones, but you can fix it through customization. It will take a lot of your time, but if you want to run against Bolt, swim against Phelps and play volleyball against May and Walsh, you can do so. We are customizing our game slowly.

We also appreciate the chance of competing in sports where everyone plays together, and not only the "only one player per turn" system seen in most Winter sports. And we understand that it limits the number of players to 4, since it works with a split screen and splitting it in 6 or 8 parts would create a very small image.

In the end, London 2012 seems to be a nice game to call your friends and play at home (even better if you have 4 controllers to allow more competition). But, that said, there are some minor flaws that prevent me from awarding it a full 5 stars: lack of victory ceremonies in "event" mode; national anthems cut in half; small number of countries compared to the number of nations in the Olympics; the "points" system in the medal table, which no one uses as far as I know. As you can see, none of these are related to game playability; these are just details that could be improved, although I don't know how much memory and work would be necessary to have, for example, all 200-something countries (each one with its own uniform, athlete names and national anthem).

3.0 out of 5 stars A game with amazing potential, but not quite there, 19 Aug 2012
Alsatian1 (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

Good things: Graphics are brilliant, the water looks very realistic and the athletes look great. Game play is generally very good. Playing with friends as always with these games is addictive. Nice touches like customising athletes and changing names.

Bad things: Having now experienced the real Olympics in London, the game could have gone further to emerge us in the atmosphere. Not enough countries are playable. Game-play can be frustrating for example, the 100m sprint does not simply allow you to bash the X button, punishing you if you press it too quickly, ITS A SPRINT!!! There are so many events missing that could have made this game, simple track events that were great on Beijing are gone, and I loved the gymnastic events on the previous game but they sadly too are missing.

Overall, a good game that has tantalisingly nice stuff, but ultimately let down by lack of choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 26 Mar 2014
Suzanne (Whitehaven, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Fantastic game, so much fun and excellent quality. I really like that same games can be played via both the move control and normal controlled. Great fun to play when friends are round.

5.0 out of 5 stars good game, 31 Dec 2013
dont have anything bad to say about this game. played it a lot when i first bough it. archery is my fave event.

5.0 out of 5 stars London 2012 (PS3), 26 Oct 2013
Not having a game with the different sports attached to it I went for this. I was not disappointed. Some of the games are hard, but none of them are boring, especially the hardest to tackle the Kayak racing. Easiest choice to recommend that I have made this year!!

4.0 out of 5 stars wot no pole vault ?, 27 Aug 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this today and I reckon playing as 2-4 players will be more fun than just on your own
There are some really good events like the swimming and the track events ....
I managed to get a bronze on the men's kierin (cycling) in medium level and about six 4th places after one day.
I'm gonna need practice in the volleyball ,table tennis,canoeing and gymnastics as I'm hopeless at them.
All in all its a fairly decent game but no pole vaulting which is a shock actually .....
Once you've got the rhythm of the buttons in tuturial lesson before each event it should come easier
On easy level I managed 8 gold medals and a silver and two Olympic records
So id say start on easy first just to get used to the controls then work your way up
I'm still loving the archery event
Not played a track and field game for about 8 -10 years ......last one I played had fencing on and only had about 23 events I think including horse jumping too ......about 6 of us had fun playing that on ps2.
Obviously you can't have every event on here as some would take hours to complete but 50 would have been nice with added ones like ...judo,fencing,pole vault,show jumping and the bike race that goes round a tiny course shaped like a letter M that lasts about 30 seconds those ones would be great too ........
Now I gotta get back and practice some more
Buy this and play with your mates ......its a pretty decent game well worth the 14.99 I payed for it

4.0 out of 5 stars ps3, 26 Aug 2013
got this for the family great game good graphics even better if you have 4 ps3 controllers and have a game with 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family game, 21 Aug 2013
My son bought this game for himself, however it has become the families favourite game to play together. great fun and a good laugh for all the family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Medium game, 2 Aug 2013
Was expecting a better move capabilities, difficult to understand. Better in the part that just use the regular features. Probablu I was exoecting to much.

ARRAY(0xaaa70498)