5.0 out of 5 stars The most twisted and captivating game this gen.
Aaah Dishonored. Where can I start?

Published on 25 Oct. 2012 by Ché

2.0 out of 5 stars Much Ado About Nothing
Published 3 months ago by Rachel Curnow

5.0 out of 5 stars The most twisted and captivating game this gen., 25 Oct. 2012
Ché (Somerset, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
Aaah Dishonored. Where can I start?

This game has kept me transfixed in the coincidentally short fortnight I have had this game. I have Completed this game twice, each time exploring the world inside out. By saying I have completed this twice you would assume that this is a short game (especially if you're used to titles such as Fallout, Skyrim & Deus Ex: Human Revolution, they're actually just really long), but I can assure you this is not. My first completionist playthrough clocked in at about 17 hours or so for me, and the second being around 15, as the replay value is unparalleled, which leads me to the actual game.

You play as silent protagonist Corvo Attano (badass name), just back to give the empress some news concerning the plague rampant in the city. Assassins appear and murder the empress, though only you are found with her lifeless corpse. Corvo takes the blame. This leaves a foundation for a simplistic yet furiously entertaining story of revenge.

One thing I adore about Dishonored is the gameplay. It feels so original, organic, and so unlike anything else; it's immense fluidity makes a simple act such as scaling a building incredibly satisfying. As Corvo you do feel like a supernatural assassin (just as well as Arkham City made you feel like the Batman), your arsenal consisting of: a sword, crossbow, pistol, and many magnificent otherworldly powers, to dispatch your target in any way you see fit. And I mean any way.

Dishonored is everso non-linear, with three or four ways at the very least to complete your objectives, and tenfold that to reach them. Dishonored's non-linearity extends also to the way you play; you can: murder everyone, murder noone, go in guns blazing, go in completely unnoticed, or don't go in at all. The game has a 'Chaos' system, by which if you kill lots of people, or many notice you, it will reflect how much 'Chaos' you've made, which will effect the games later levels and it's resolution.

The world of Dishonored has now taken the spot as my all time favourite game world, and whatever it lacks in detail it more than makes up for in character, culture and aesthetics. The best way to explain it's setting would be a Victorian City 17 (Half Life 2), with a very pagan feel to it. It's amazing lighting and soft textures are absorbing to say the least, and work very well with it's vibrant colour palette. All the characters fit in perfectly with the surrounding, run-down cityscape, and are expertly voice acted (Including the talents of Susan Sarandon, Lena Heady, Carrie Fisher & Chloë Grace Moretz).

With Arkane Studios consisting of people who worked on the original Deus Ex, Bioshock & Half Life 2 it is really no surprise that such a twisted, absorbing, dark, mature and organic experience was delivered. This makes Dishonored my second favourite game this generation (Beaten by Red Dead Redemption), and trust me, I play a lot of games.

Overall: 10/10

You have got to buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game with lots of different ways to play, 22 July 2013
Miss AL Holloway (Oswestry) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
I became aware of dishonored before it's release having seen various trailers and gameplay videos on gaming websites that I follow. I was intrigued by it and keen to try it out because it reminded me a bit of Bioshock which is my all time favourite game.

I had this game on pre order and began playing as soon as it arrived (I book time off work for this type of thing - it's cheaper than going on holiday and it keeps me happy!). There are a few similarities to Bioshock, such as a very unique art style, a silent protagonist and the addition of powers as well as weapons, but really these are two different beasts.

In dishonored you play as Corvo, he is wrongly convicted of killing the Empress he is sworn to protect. He is helped to escape from prison and sets out to clear his name and take revenge on those who framed him.

You can play the game in different ways to suit your preferred playing style, eg stealth or more violent, or a combination of these styles, and you can purchase and upgrade different powers, therefore creating the Corvo that is best for your playing style. There are violent and non violent solutions to missions, and how you play effects the storyline and the game world, which adds replay value. You can also set different difficulty levels to make things more or less challenging.

The revenge story is not particularly original but it is very well done and makes for a satisfying gameplay experience. The game looks fantastic and there is a lot to explore, it is worth exploring all levels thoroughly to uncover additional loot, runes and the occasional side mission. I like to leave no stone unturned and no pixel unscrutinised to make sure I get the most from my games, however if you just want a quick fix you can certainly speed through this game in around 8-10 hours although I feel this would do it a great disservice as there is so much to see.

The game is worthy of a few playthroughs, to see the different endings, and there is also now DLC available which I intend to pick up in the future.

Dishonored is great if you are into stealth, but you can play without stealth if you want. I've tried both and find stealth more difficult but I am working on it! I think fans of Bioshock will most likely appreciate this game (Like I did) but anyone who enjoys action, stealth and a bit of magic should also enjoy this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Had Purchased Sooner, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
When reading reviews for games i guess i must be a glass half empty guy because it is the criticisms that stay with me even if i have read lashings of praise for a game. With Dishonored there was an air of disappointment that stuck like fly paper on my brain along with many moans about the game length.

I picked up the game recently and if you are willing to immerse yourself into a world of secrets, lies and searching for combinations to safe boxes then so should you. Dishonored is one of the best games i have played in ages.

At the time of this review, both on amazon and even on the PSN store the game sells for under £20 which is frankly a steal for the gaming entertainment on offer.

Weak Graphics?

The art style of Dishonored very much reminds me of the Arkham Horror board games; individuals with wearisome and often times bulbous features that are not quite caricature's. The City of Dunwall which you discover from the sewer up and within which the games levels are set is a rotting, oppressive city that exists in a steampunk world at the grubby end of the 19th century and shares common DNA with Half-Life 2's City 17.

I have read complaints about the graphics of Dishonored which i really don't get. There are definitely some flat, low resolution textures but for the most part it looks like any other game using the Unreal engine and the wonderful art design does an excellent job of not just holding the game up but making it sing.

Game Length?

Yeah you could blow through this game i guess, head straight for the main objective waypoints and reach the end credits in the eight or so hours i have read others have done. My first playthrough took me well over 20 hours. I replayed sections of the game that will account for some of that time (by choice) but mostly i explored, enjoyed the game world that was on offer and completed every side quest i could - side quests that you could bypass entirely, which involve complete maps with their own story, challenges and intrigue, not just simple fetch quests.

I listened, i read, i found secrets and looked for clues, i learned about Dunwall and the Isles and best of all i enjoyed myself.

As a gamer with a large collection of shamefully unfinished games, Dishonored is completed but not wrapped up. I am already on my second playthrough and can't wait to snap up any dlc that is made, the first of which is dirt cheap and offers tremendous value.

Dishonored is creative and fun. Wide open levels that are sculpted for you to immerse yourself within should you wish it. Turn off the objective markers, turn off the over large health and mana bars and play...see what happens because the game is full of surprises.

One Last Thing.

I was on a killing spree in an early level, my cover blown by my own misuse of the environment. During a side-quest i had raided a doctors house and already dispatched three guards. A fourth along with a maid were chatting on the next floor and were not long for their world. As their exposition filled chat came to a close and i prepared to make my move the guard remarks to the maid "Is this what our marriage is going to be like?"

A young couple in love and engaged to be wed. I held my blade, got my stealth act together and with a soft, warm smile i choked them both into sweet unconsciousness.

That is just one of my Dishonored tales, but Arkane Studios gave me many more. And at half the price for most newly released games too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, intelligent and stylish, 13 Oct. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
Dishonored is a great game with sandbox gameplay within separate areas of the city. It's not open-world as such, but you'll still be spoilt for choice in how to approach your objectives.

The game is set in the fictional city of Dunwall, which is a cross between the England of the Industrial Revolution, Bioshock's rapture, and a few elements all of its own. The steampunk, industrialised setting is really immersive and jarring details are kept to a minimum (only the walls of light and 'tallboys' stand out as being a bit too sci-fi in my opinion).

You can battle your way to your objective quite quickly, but this means that you will have a shorter game experience, and the city you're trying to save will suffer as the plague spreads even faster due to the additional bodies in the streets, which in turn increases the number of plague rats. Alternatively, you can sneak your way in and the whole game can be completed non-lethally by the most skilled players, but this really does take some doing. Most players will tread a 'middle-ground', and take advantage of chance oppotunities as they come along.

Take time to explore before rushing to your objectives, the game-world is rich and deep, but the best paths and side-quests are off the beaten track.

Graphically, Dishonored is very stylised. It isn't competing on pixel-counts, details or shaders with other AAA titles - but has a unique approach of its own. One review site mentioned this game as looking like a 'painting in motion' - this goes a little too far, but the visuals have a soft well-lit quality that is coupled with great art direction to quickly establish the feel of the game.

Well worth buying, dive in and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cult game in the making - excellent!!, 14 Oct. 2012
N. Gallacher "Nick" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
As soon as I read about Dishonored, I couldn't wait for it to be released - and now that it is, it is everything I hoped it would be and more. This has cult game written all over it! The setting is a place called Dunwall, which would be best described as a plague ridden Neo-Victorian city, with very Orwellian overtones - really dark and brooding (think "From Hell" meets "Sin City"), and just as the other reviewer said, effortlessly stylish. The graphics are just stunning, and you become immersed in the feel and vibe straight away.

The gameplay is excellent - very intuitive, and easy to pick up quickly. You have standard combat moves (pistol/crossbow/sword for example) but also some supernatural powers, such as being able to teleport short distances (good for escaping or creeping up on guards), summon a swarm of rats to attack enemies and then devour them, to name but two. The combat is very slick, with kills being on a par with Assassins Creed - only in the first person! Very, very cool.

The game can be played as a full on assault of enemies, but also with a high degree of stealth - the choice is yours, and different missions can be played either or both ways - with varying outcomes depending on how you approach each scenario. There are also side missions, that will glean rewards and clues towards subsequent missions, and you collect items that accrue coin for weapon upgrades, equipment upgrades, ammo etc.

In terms of value for money, I've clocked roughly 18 hours and feel like I've hardly scratched the surface - hours of fun left yet! Bethesda have once again totally nailed it, and I highly, highly recommend this game, it's an absolute peach - very different, stylishly cool and original, violent and uber dark - superb! I genuinely can't think of one game like it, and that in it's own right makes it worth buying.

Happy to answer any comments anyone has if you want more details, cheers and enjoy!! :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Much Ado About Nothing, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
I wanted to like this game, I really did. As an avid gamer and stealth fan I couldn't wait to power up the console and get stuck in. But it just didn't happen. It failed to engage me in the way great games do. I found the graphics hit and miss (some of the characters hands are as big as their heads) and although the game does have a distinctive look and style, it's not necessarily that good a style. The lighting is good and general atmosphere but character design is left wanting. It's a playable game with some okay stealth mechanics, but nothing earth shattering, and the multiple option levels prove a bit boring if you stick to 100% stealth and not kill anyone. (The newest Hitman is a far better game with superior level design, great graphics and, just for simply being fun to play)
There's no oomph here though, no real excitement to the experience. Some of the extra powers are fun for a bit but soon become stale and repetitive. I ended up forcing myself to complete this game from half way through it to the end, such was my willingness to be won over and engaged. It didn't happen.
It's not a terrible game at all, more disappointing. I've probably given worse games 3 stars but Dishonoured gets a 2 for not living up to to the hype and proving to be a chore. Judging by the other reviews the majority of people disagree with me, but you have been warned. I'm a seasoned gamer and despite my perseverance I could not connect with what was on offer. I did not enjoy this game.
Hitman, the Assassins Creed games, Deux Ex Human Evolution - all are better than this hyped up, flat, off beat slice of stealth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
It's a shame that this game isn't more popular than it was, because it's really quite the gem that just about anyone needs to play.

You play as Corvo Attano, protector and bodyguard to the empress of the city Dunwall, Jessamine Kaldwin. Upon returning from an assignment something tragic happens that throws the entire city in to turmoil and you're required to right those wrongs. Did I mention that there's a plague on?

Anyway, the story is generally quite interesting with good voice acting and interesting characters that are well developed, and both the look and the music make the game very atmospheric and engaging. It's also a refreshing change that they've gone more for an interesting art style for their graphics rather than focusing on on the hyper-realism that most other games tend to aim for these days. It really makes the game stand out.

What's particularly special is how open ended the game is. Do you want to go around slaughtering everyone in your view? You can. Want to sneak through and complete the entire game without killing anyone? You can. Want to do a mix? Yes, you can do that too. Each and every level gives you many different options in how you want to get around as well as how to complete whatever your task is. This, in addition to giving you multiple endings, makes the game very replayable and you can complete it a few times while playing with a completely different style each time, easily spending dozens of hours on the game while doing so. For me there was nothing quite as satisfying as sneaking past everyone and completing your objectives without anyone knowing that you were even there. By the time I was done with the game I had already completed it thrice, playing differently each and every time.

The amount of chaos you cause (which is tracked by the, err, Chaos system) keeps a track of how you play and changes the way the city behaves in general based on your actions. If you've killed a lot of people then there will be more disease-ridden rats running around and your allies are going to be more stand-offish towards you, but if you don't kill anyone then the place will be cleaner and everyone more optimistic. Little touches like this help pull you in to the game and really help set the tone.

You're given plenty to play with too. Weapons that are available to you include your sword, crossbow, pistol, sleeping darts and your magic abilities let you do anything from short teleports to possessing guards to freezing time temporarily. It's all a lot of fun and gives you a lot of room to experiment with how you want to play. Exploring each area also lets you find collectibles that make these more powerful, which is just as well since the game progresses at a steady pace and each new faction that you meet becomes more and more difficult to sneak past or fight.

The only negative I encountered was there being one particular trophy that was glitched in the game. After looking it up online apparently it's quite a common error. This isn't a game breaker by any means but it's somewhat surprising that such a basic thing was overlooked.

Still, all in all the game is fantastic and you should play it. The world is great, the story is interesting, you're afforded the freedom to play how you want and there's plenty of room to explore. I'd highly recommend playing this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Playstation 3 Gamer. Good blood and guts game, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
A game with a difference,excellent graphics,sound. Good strategy,adventure,lots of violence if you want it,interesting abilities. A bit confusing in places on where you need to go and how to get there. Could do with a level maps for the missions. Lots of good concepts to the game. Additive game play tho the difficulty does go up steeply part way through. The adventure elements are excellent and the game does to me seem suitably long. Tho if your a hardened gamer you may not think so but if you need a higher challenge there are plenty of skill settings you can choose.
The baddies are very interesting are varied throughout. There are lots of ways you can play and choices you can make throughout the game and this will effect the outcome throughout the game and how the in game characters interact with you throughout the game. Some online head to head options online would have been nice and some online cooperative features would have taken a very good game and made it outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Addictive, 13 Jan. 2013
Dave March "ls_dave" (Durham, United Kindom) - See all my reviews
Fun - 5/5
Gameplay - 5/5
Graphics & Script - 3/5
Story & Originality - 5/5
Re-Playability - 5/5

Wow! Despite working full time and being hundreds of miles away from my PS3 for days at a time, I still managed to clock up dozens of hours of gameplay in the first few weeks of getting this brilliant game.

Framed for murder and treachery of the highest order, the entire city of Dunwall is out for your blood. Escaping from prison and enlisting with an odd group of dissidents you undertake the systematic elimination of your enemies and revenge through a series of missions.

In some ways similar to Hitman, but far more three-dimensional Dishonored allows you to choose between good or evil, gun or sword, stealthy and bloodless or chaotic and violent. Each level is determined in part by your actions in previous levels and so leaving behind corpses all over the place will result in more bad guys and spread of the plague destroying the inhabitants of Dunwall.

In particular for me was the skill you can develop to zap across the city, bypassing trouble and making the stealthy approach so much more fun and variable.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who has played and enjoyed games such as Hitman and Elder Scrolls as I found this to be an interesting fusion of concepts and gameplay from both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful game with lots of replay value, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dishonored (PS3) (Video Game)
True, open world where you take on an objective via a variety of means, instead of being shepherded down a particular route or method. GOTY contender for sure.

Dishonored (PS3)
Dishonored (PS3) by Bethesda (PlayStation 3)