4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with interesting characters and plot
Published on 10 Nov. 2012 by DenMorris

3.0 out of 5 stars Will appeal more to USA than UK market
Published on 10 Sept. 2012 by Lletyderw

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with interesting characters and plot, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Mamacita Murders (Gaby Ruiz Mysteries, No. 1) (Kindle Edition)
Due to time constraints, it took me quite a long time to read this book. My suggestion would be wait for the time when you can read it in two to three long stints, as my problem was I kept having to 'get back into it'. A very good story line, dealing with prostitution, murder and mystery as well as some romance thrown in for good measure, although by no means was this the focus of the story. I learnt quite a lot about the legal system from this book. The lead character was a believable person who really cares about supporting those less fortunate and also has some long standing personal issues to deal with. Overall can highly recommend for a thoroughly good read

3.0 out of 5 stars Will appeal more to USA than UK market, 10 Sept. 2012
This book was written for the American (possibly even South American ?) market and there was an assumption that the reader would be able to understand the nuances of some of the street language and phrases used. Will appeal more to USA than UK market. This made it quite hard going on times although I stuck with it to the end. There were plenty of twists and turns and quite a twist at the end when the actual murderer was revealed. Understanding and knowing colloquialisms and local street language would have made reading this less of a chore and I had to break it down into chunks of reading to get through it, whereas if a book really grips me I can read it in one sitting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Atrocious writing, 10 Jan. 2013
I downloaded this as holiday reading, thinking it might be a bit of light weight entertainment. Ok, it was free, so I can't complain about value!

The writing style and grammar are pretty appalling, and this is a distraction for the reader. It desperately needs proof reading and editing if the author wants to gain any credibility at all.

On top of that, the plot is weak, and seems to simply provide the author with a poorly constructed tool to share her beliefs in angels. Now, I'm happy to suspend disbelief and buy into a fantasy for a good book. But this felt clumsy, like the plot had been added to the angels rather than the angels being something that added to the story.

The murder mystery plots were ok, and had potential, but were obscured by the poor writing and construction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Feb. 2013
The basic premise of this book sounded interesting, but it turned out to be a mish-mash of new-age philosophy dressed up as a thriller. The heroine seems far too damaged to be believable in her professional role. The writing is poor in parts; maybe the book is more suited to the American market, but I found it irritating and slow-moving.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Mamacita Murders, 28 Feb. 2013
Mrs. Julie A. Rogers (Wiltshire England) - See all my reviews
I thought this book was very poor. The author did not seem to be able to decide if she was writing a thriller, or a fantasy. I will not be reading anything else by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 15 Feb. 2013
Amazing storyline. Unsuspected twists. An absolute pleasure to read. The plot is something I've not come across before and I read many books. I'm pleased to read something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great murder mystery!, 16 Jan. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed every word of this book. Compulsive reading with a great storyline and great characters. Extremely well written and I was drawn into the story from the first few pages. Will be looking for more from Debra Mares :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A promising debut but not perfect, 22 July 2013
Miss AL Holloway (Oswestry) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Mamacita Murders is an odd book. I downloaded it when it was on free promotion as I enjoy crime thrillers and thought the synopsis sounded intriguing. I notice that the author is a prosecutor herself so I knew the legal side of the book would be good. It was. I love reading about criminal investigations and this one had lots going on for me to puzzle over.

I did not like so much the "fantasy" side of the book. Gaby, the protagonist, gets help solving her cases from her "angels". I felt this was kind of just added in for the sake of something different, as it is not really given enough back story or depth to become convincing to me and spoilt what would otherwise have been a good story. As a plot device it helped move things along I suppose, and I am all for suspending my disbelief in the world of fiction, it just did not particularly ring true for me. I also felt the references to Gaby's love life were not strictly neccesary and that it would have been a much tighter read without such distractions, but that's just me.

Overall it was a good story and a little bit different, and I think this author is well worth keeping an eye on, but I would not say this is the greatest thriller I've ever read, just "quite good".

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy reading crime/legal thriller, but nothing particularly unique, 27 Mar. 2013
This book flows well and is easy to read, but there is nothing overly memorable about it and it is not a particularly good example of the genre.
There are some strong plot concepts within it; the pin up girl outreach, the Angel reading and spiritualist side, but they never really made it through for me into the kind of strong and alluring story that potentially could have come about from these basic concepts.

I understand that this book is the author's debut crime thriller, and her history as a prosecutor lends some realism and strength to the story that redeems the weaker areas somewhat; I suspect that if the author continues to write, her voice as an author and the strength of her work will increase exponentially, and I will await with interest any future publications.

3.0 out of 5 stars The mamacita murders, 27 Mar. 2013
There is not a lot to say about this book it was a bit long winded could have been a bit more exciting