‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye vinyl,hello friend,on CD at last!!, 10 Sep 2010
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Since CD's started to be issued to the masses i've long craved this particular album to be released,i've waited more than 25 years,a quarter of a bl**dy century!.I wait no more,ordered from Music Japan a few days ago,it arrived today.

With shaking hand,i was actually nervous that it would sound crap!, i placed it the CD player,here we go,80 minutes later and im grinning from ear to ear,i've thrown every guitar hero shape i know and my long but thinning hair has had a good throw about ,yes its that good,a fantastic album,my trusty vinyl copy can take its place with its brothers and sisters in the retirement shelf.

Disc 1 opens with a stunning trio of 'Docter','Living Proof & Runaway' ,the band seamlessly into a heavy rock groove on each one only 'Helpless' slows the pace,next up 2 extended tracks the superb instrumental 'FUBB' and thundering 'Way Of The World',fantastic stuff.

Disc 2 opens with the original side 3 of the ltd edition vinyl,with three of ths Ash's finest tracks namely,'Lorelei','Persephone' and ''..You Rescue me',spine tingling lead guitar on each one which always have the hairs on the back of my neck stand up(all recorded at my beloved Glasgow Apollo).The last three tracks could have been an anti climax thankfully their not,a fabulous version of 'Time Was' followed by 'Goodbye Baby...' before the simplistic Quo groove of 'No Easy Road' closes the disc.Outstanding music from an outstanding band.

The sound quality to these ears is perfect ,the guitars are clear,highlighting the fluid superb guitar playing ,the drum high up in the mix but not enough to overpower,and Martin Turners Bass perfectly highlighted in the mix,he really is a superb player,totally underated,and the vocals as ever quality.

The packaging is pretty good,they have reproduced the original album sleeve(a gatefold) down to the tiniest detail including a reproduction of the original front sleeve sticker,excellent,while bizarrely there are two inserts of the original album record labels,one of which also serves to confirm the number of the ltd edition,plus the usual lyric sheet.

Its a bit pricey,so shop around,its absolutely worth it, a classic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best live recordings I have ever heard, 29 Aug 2010
The record was originally released as a single album with a bonus disc in the late 1970s - recorded on the band's Living Proof tour which featured what to my mind is the best Ash line-up - Laurie Wisefield, Andy Powell, Martin Turner and Steve Upton. It was the first Wishbone Ash record I ever bought and remains by far the best.

All the renditions showcase a band at the height of the their powers. The playing and arrangements are superb - from Andy Powell's soaring, heartfelt playing on Persephone to Laurie Wisefield's delicious percussive licks on Lorelei. Side three is a master class in how to create a huge sound without power chords and a clutter of notes; everything is played perfectly, in its place - built on the sold foundation of Steve Upton's inventive drumming - from Martin Turner's rich, melodic bass lines, to the sparse arpeggios and chords filled in by Poweel and Wisefield. The album represents the perfect balance between the spontaneous and the disciplined. And (unlike on so many of the awful Ash releases on CD), the production is wonderful. Why it has not been released in the UK remains a mystery to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Ash indeed! Good as it gets folks., 4 April 2011
The original Wishbone Ash lineup with Ted Turner continues to be my favorite. But this fabulous live set fits right up at the top of my list of greatest releases by the band. That puts it in the rare spot next to my other favorites like their studio crowning jewel Argus, its nearest rival in my eyes, Wishbone Four and the magnificent double Live Dates. After a very long wait its rewarding to be able to add this top notch hard to find treasure to my extensive Ash collection.

Laurie Wisefield stepped in for Ted bringing his own unique fluid style which blended nicely into the already highest caliber of talent guitar based melodic Rock Solid group of its kind.

My highest rating is the only possible choice for this nearly perfect compilation of stage performances. Not a weak track to be found here.
This one will get extensive play time for the foreseeable future as I can't imagine tiring of it any time soon. Sorry I missed out on the original LP back in the day, but now I can make up for lost time with this sparkling body of work by one of the truly
under appreciated British performing acts of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best live album I've heard., 3 May 2010
R. Lewis (UK) - See all my reviews
It seems that this import disc is the only version of Live Dates Vol 2 available on Amazon; my review is based upon the original vinyl release rather than on the(mlps)(Shm) disc format.

LD 2 is a rarity in so far as every track (to my mind) is an improvement upon the original studio versions. Unusually for a live recording the playing is exceptional throughout and the production is second to none ('Lorelei' illustrates this point perfectly, it's just so staggeringly good) . I've owned this LP since it's release in the very early eighties and to this day it still remains in my top ten albums of all time - an overlooked gem that knocks the lack-lustre Live Dates and Live Dates 3 into a cocked hat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Sound that Rocks with Class., 22 Jan 2011
S. Sutcliffe (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
To this day I have not heard a live album that sounds this good. Sure Humble Pie at the Fillmore and Live and Dangerous etc. are classics but don't sound like this. Bass player Martin Turner produced this gem and it is a credit to him. Songs are from concerts by the Mark II line up in 1976,77,78 and 80 - a side from each. Does anyone know where guitarist Laurie Wisefield went in the middle of Goodbye Baby! I hope There's the Rub, New England and Front Page News come out complete as remixed on the Distilation box set available on this site. Steve - a Kiwi in OZ.

4.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY MEMORIES, 16 Sep 2011
P. Storey "pstorey" (newcastle upon tyne, tyne and wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
this was the first i heard of WA back in the 70's so I had nothing to compare it to. i grew up with the laurie wisefield line up and it is great to hear the excellent reviews this cd gets. i have a signed copy of the lp at home .

its a pity we only have a copy from japan and have to pay big bucks, hopefully it will get a proper release over here because as much as I love the album I am not prepared to stump up 70-80. its seems to be the only album they have released on cd over here, not sure why as its a fantastic recording!!

just bought new 2012 version sound is excellent great value get argus and this and you have the best of wishbone ash the band at its peak! forget live dates 1 this is actually better

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Listing- No Easy Road, 20 May 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live Dates, Vol.2 (Audio CD)
I've just come back from a concert by Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash and I was royally entertained.
(I totally recommend if you get the chance that you get to one of Martin's concerts.)
I'm looking forward to reading Martin's book 'No Easy Road' "unless Mr Powell's lawyers get involved" too btw.

So thought I'd check out stuff that I had not got on CD and found that there is no track listing for this long unavailable except by import from Japan or France.

So here is the track listing.

I hope it helps.

11. Goodbye Baby Hello Friend
12. No Easy Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Absence Makes The Music Grow Better, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Live Dates, Vol.2 (Audio CD)
It was October 1980 and I had just bought Live Dates 2, Stage Struck by Rory Gallagher and Ace of Spades by Motorhead from Glasgow's Listen record shop. Flash forward a generation and I've replaced them all on CD bar Live Dates 2. Not because I didn't like the album-it was never off my record player when I was in my formative years, and became one of my favourite live albumns along with the Priest/Lizzy/Quo/Rush/ACDC standards of the time. For years I hummed and hawed about buying this 2 album version as a Japanese import and always baulked at the price. On some sites it was being sold for up to 60!!! I even complained to the Ash contingent at the Glasgow Ferry the last time I went to see them there about the ridiculous situation that it hadn't been released on CD in it's full, glory. After all, it's been around in some shape or form since its' orignal release in 1980. Then 2 weeks ago, I see it for the measly price of 7 on Amazon in the 2 album format. Before you can say FUBB me, I've ordered and paid for it.

It arrived today and as one of the other reviewers mentioned, I had reservations that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered as a youthful, fresh faced, hairy oik. Not a chance and nothing to worry about. It has lost none of its initial impact and the fact that I've not heard the 2nd album in over 20 years only makes it better. Superb playing, great songs and wonderful production. Listening to Lorelei and Persephone nearly made me shed a tear with the subtle strat tones of Laurie Wisefield's under rated playing and the Turner's tasteful polyfilla bass lines.

Real Gone Music and Amazon-you have made a rock dinosaur very, very happy and taken me back to the great days of rock music in the 70/80's. If you are of a certain vintage dig out your credit card and buy it now before they delete it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ash deliver!, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Live Dates, Vol.2 (Audio CD)
The second Live Dates album by Wishbone Ash is a much more rockier affair! This is the mark 2 line up and the interplay between the two guitarists has to be heard to be believed. It's not just a case of one playing rhythm and the other playing the lead but also the intricate melodies that are thrown in between the chord work as well. The highlights of the CD are many. Firstly, what a great opening! Wishbone Ash may not be the heaviest band around but they know how to rock and the opening of Doctor, Living Proof and Runaway prove you don't need over distorted guitars to create a really great atmosphere and put on a really great rock concert. Other highlights are The Way of the World, Lorelei and a standout performance of Persephone. Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield slip effortlessly between the lead, double lead and chord work (rythem would not describe all of what they do) and prove they are two of the best guitarist around. Sadly after this Martin Turner left and without his vocals and bass work Wishbone Ash would never be quite the same again (at least not till the late 80s and early 90s). Nearly forgot (which would be criminal) a band can't rock as well as this without a great drummer, nice one Steve!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Live Dates, Vol.2 (Audio CD)
First class material played and recorded/mastered flawlessly. Actually I could say I never heard a better sounding rock album on my stereo. Not overengineered, just sounding incredibly real. If you like the group the album is a must have. If you also value good quality sound reproduction then it really becomes a no-brainer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Live Dates, Vol.2
Live Dates, Vol.2 by Wishbone Ash (Audio CD - 2012)