5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased
I needed an external charger for my HTC One X for when I am travelling and a power source is not readily available. I did my research and bought the smaller version of this one but was offered an upgrade which I took.
Published 22 months ago by Dan

1.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions Can Be Deceiving
I bought one of these chargers appx' one year ago and thought it was the bees knee's (or so I assumed), I found it faster than plugging into the mains as when connected to the charger the phoned booted immediately from empty.

It also charged the phone from empty to full in an amazingly short time and switched itself off when it had completed the charge...
Published 5 months ago by Laura

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: PowerGen 8400mAh Dual USB Port External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Built-In Flashlight for Smart phones, Android Phones, iPad mini, iPhone 5 (Lightning adapters not included), iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, HTC One X / V / S, Sensation, EVO, Nokia Lumia 920 N9, Motorola Razr, Blackberry Z10, Sony Xperia Z, Google Nexus 4 and More (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Firstly this was smaller and not as heavy as I was expecting (one of the reasons for choosing the smaller one), but found that it feels well built and sturdy.
When I received the item I immediately turned it on and was shown 3 lights which means it was 75% charged so I could have used it out of the box, however I charged it overnight so I could give it a proper test.
Over the last few days I have been charging my phone only using this external battery and was very pleased with the results. I have given the phone 2 full charges (from around 10%) and a part charge (from 10% to 80%).
I think you will agree this has performed very well and as a result I have been recommending this to my friends and family (some of which are iPhone users whose batteries are terrible).
I am very pleased I have received the larger capacity pack, this gives me peace of mind that I can use my phone heavily while I am waiting around in airports and not have to worry about running out of power, however I'm seriously thinking of purchasing the smaller version as well, which I think would be perfect for when I am on a day out (in the pub with friends etc) where it will be less intrusive in my pocket, the larger pack is fine but I would rather keep it in a bag or coat pocket maybe.
In conclusion, I definitely recommend this product, it arrived in good time and the performance has been better than expected.

1.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions Can Be Deceiving, 14 Mar 2014

ALAS! After a year of normal use (I could count the number of times it was used) it soon went from amazing to infuriating. It takes ages now for the phone to boot. It switches off during charging, so you have to keep your eye on it at all times, no problem if you enjoy watching paint dry.

At the time I paid the top end price I see it has now been reduced to twenty quid, still too expensive in my opinion.

Brilliant at the start, when new I would have given 10 stars had I been able to. However after a year of good care and light use, I would now struggle to give it two stars.

All those who gave overwhelming reviews when it was just out of the box, I hope you won't live to regret it. This charger is nothing to get excited about. Looks good and out of the box fantastic, but quickly goes down hill due to the poor installed rechargeable battery shelf life and you can't replace the battery, the unit can't be opened, meaning you need to purchase a whole new charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for festivals or camping, 11 May 2012
Straightforward (Twickenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was sent this item by eTrading24 for free to review.

Last year my phone died at the Glastonbury festival; just keeping in touch with where people were, and filming bits and pieces really tore through the battery - this would have been perfect!

+ It's very high capacity for the size; 8400mAh in a case the size of a packet of cigarettes.
+ You have the choice of two charge rates - slow or fast. Slow is more efficient.
+ It even has a torch! (Tap the 'on' button twice)
+ I got over four battery cycles on my Blackberry and on the Galaxy Ace - that's seriously impressive.
+ Two cables supplied - one short, one long.
+ It looks nice in a chubby way
+ Over 500 recharges, apparently. Yet to be confirmed.
+ Two power outputs rated at .6 and 2.0 Amps

- It's slightly heavy.
- No Travel Adaptor Plug: Worldwide / European Visitor To Uk provided.
- No bag for the pin adaptors - it would have been nice to have had one big enough to put the battery in, too.
- It takes 7 hours to 'fill up'.
- Owners of tablets will probably need a bit more capacity.
- The 'PowerGenBatt' website that the manual mentions hasn't been updated since 2010.

Summary :

This is a classy product at a bargain price let down by poor presentation and lack of accessories - it's far better than the packaging and 'manual' suggest; battery technology is becoming smaller, cheaper and more efficient, and this is the proof. The perfect product for a camper - I love it.

The real killer question is 'how long will it last?'; I'll keep you updated.

Edit 12/06/12 - I've just noticed that the listing mentions the Nintendo DS; this product has a proprietory socket which is not included in my set of interchangeable plugs - NOT compatible unless you have a cable not provided in this set.

Edit 07/11/12 - The label on the back of the battery states that it is for "Mobile phones, iphones, ipad and MP4". The universal conector leads have developed loose connections; they really aren't very durable (but since I have hundreds of these Samsung micro USB cables anyway, I'm not too bothered..)

Edit 24/11/12 - I now take this with me everywhere - it has proved to be incredibly useful, and is performing consistently and reliably.

Edit 24/04/13 - the battery was briefly dipped into my bath last week; it went a bit crazy at first, discharged and then died. It really doesn't like water!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for festivals, 9 Jun 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a rechargeable charge pack. It's roughly the same width as an iPhone, about an inch shorter, but twice as thick, and it's quite heavy for its size.

The idea is that if you're going to be away from mains power for more than a day, most of the devices you just can't live without - your phone, your MP3 player, your iPad or other tablet - will run out of power, and if you're anything like me, you'll be lost without them (quite literally, in the case of my GPS). This charge pack lets you store up more than 8 Amp hours (at 5V) of mains power as a sort of auxilliary power source for your USB-powered device, so you can recharge them from time to time.

There's plenty enough power in a fully-charged PowerGen to keep a smartphone going for a week, or enough to charge an iPad roughly three times. To get this much charge into the PowerGen, you need to charge it using a 1 AMP USB adaptor for more than 8 hours, or if you're charging it from a PC, it will take 16 hours or more. But once it's charged, it's invaluable. There are two USB ports, one delivering 0.6 Amps, the other delivering up to 2 Amps. The tradeoff is that the 0.6 Amp outlet will take longer to charge your device, but is more efficient, so the PowerGen battery will last longer. If you want to charge an iPad while using it, you need to use the 2 Amp port. And yes, you can charge two devices at once. The button to start charging is on the edge of this unit. If you press it twice, it lights a white LED, for use as a torch.

A mains adapter is not supplied. It's best to use a mains USB power adapter that can deliver at least 1 AMP output - your iPad mains adaptor, if you have one, should be fine, or use something similar to this.

You can get devices similar to this that use dry cells - but they are terribly wasteful, as you chew up a set of batteries with pretty-much every charge. The PowerGen rechargeables are claimed to be good for 500 duty cycles. I've only recharged mine three times so far, but I'm not yet seeing any signs of deterioration.

I was sent this battery pack to try out by its UK distributor. When its batteries eventually lose their ability to hold their charge (and I recycle it responsibly), I won't have any hesitation in buying another.

5.0 out of 5 stars PowerGen 8400mAh, 30 Sep 2012
Does exactly what it says on the box. Although slightly heavy, it seems a quality build and it charged both my PSVita and phone at the same time, (the Vita using the 0.6A socket) It charged both within a couple of hours, which was fine as I was attending an expo at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, comfortable and useful - a good design, 7 July 2012
The Mobile Juice Pack Duo Power 8400mAh is neatly packaged declaring 70 hr talk time and 40 hr video playback based on an iPhone 4. Life Cycle is shown at over 500 times. So even if used on a daily basis it should last a couple of years. The unit was already fully charged and ready to go.
It comes with two USB cables (one long and one short), a US USB charger and a set of six adapters allowing you to use it with iPod iPad, iPhone, mp3, mp4, PSP and GPS. The adapters fit iPhone, Blackberry, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, Smartphones and Android devices. If you want to use the charger you will need a travel adapter.
The unit itself is about a third larger than the 5600 version. It has a similar footprint to a mobile phone, smaller but deeper. It weighs 190gm whereas a Blackberry storm weighs 155gm and an iPhone 140gm. As with the 5600 it is comfortable to handle with no sharp edges. On the side there is a tiny on/off switch next to the charging port. On the leading edge are two USB ports, a 0.6A and a 2A. When you press the on/switch a set of blue lights appear across the front panel indicating the state of charge. Keeping the switch depressed a little longer lights up the LED torch, which is quite strong, if you just used it as a torch it would last for an amazing 380 hrs!
The two USB outputs are set to two different load levels the one nearest the torch is 0.6A and is best used for phone charging, the second one furthest away from the torch is a 2A output designed for iPads etc. Don't worry you can do no harm by plugging into the wrong one. The 2A outlet is to allow a full charge to an iPad, about 80 mins, but you'll get three instead of four charges which you would get using the phone port which takes 120 mins but you get four charges. The other great thing about the two ports is that you can actually charge two items at the same time.
Within hours of receiving the Duo Power pack it was in full use charging a Nokia, Samsung and iPhone in quick succession, all out of the box! Amazing! A few evenings later I was going out when I realised that due to a family incident I had forgotten to charge my phone. No problem took the unit and a small cable, attached them to the phone put them in my pocket, by the time I arrived at my destination the phone was charged and ready to go.
The duo power 8400mAh is easy to use, comfortable and useful - a good design, especially useful for anyone working offsite, camping or trekking. With Duo Power pack 8400mAh in your pocket or bag you would be sure of being able to phone home.

5.0 out of 5 stars For more than just phones, 10 May 2012
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Please note this is a review for the "PowerGen" Mobile Juice Pack 8400mAH as I have noticed that a number of reviews are for different products. As I got this as a gift I will not comment on value for money but cover the various features.

I did not know if I should give this 5* as when I opened the pack I was surprised to find it had a USA type charger, actually very useful for me as I often go to the USA this problem was soon overcome as any usb charger works including the one from my Kindle(keyboard version), using the Kindle lead as the connections are the same.

For a back up battery it is a very smart device and feels very solid but not too large about 9.5 x 6.3 x 2.3 cm even the blue leds that show the power levels are stylish blue circles. In addition there is an efficient torch, a bit fiddly to turn on and off, which is useful for short range. Once charged, from discharged to full charge takes about 6 hours the battery life will depend on the current drawn but the worst example the manufacturers give is 40 hrs of video playback using an iphone. I have no reason to not believe this nor the fact there is a claimed life of over 500 charge discharge cycles. One thing to watch is that when charged it turns on so if you do not want to use it straight away you need to turn it off which involves holding down the on off switch for a couple of seconds.

I have used the charger to charge a blackberry a Kindle and an android tablet plus various other devices in fact if it needs 5 volts and there is the right adapter with this it will charge or run it or even two at a time as there are two usb outputs. There are 6 adapters supplied that cover usb through to ipod with lots in between including PSP. There is a comment on the box that some Nokia phones only work with the included adapter but the one I have worked OK with its own lead. I cannot verify it will charge all of the items claimed all I know it worked well for everything I tried to charge.

In summary a very useful device particularly if you are travelling somewhere that the mains supply is unreliable as once charged running off this battery will give a voltage which will not peak and possibly damage your equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate!, 7 Jun 2012
Length:: 2:57 Mins

Where the PowerGen Mobile Juice Pack 5200mAh scores on portability, this one scores on capacity. The design has changed, but you now get two outputs, one of high output current capacity. This one easily recharged my phone and was not even half discharged afterwards. I have tried it so far with a Kindle, a Galaxy S II, Garmin Satnav and a Galaxy Tab, as well as my wife's iPhone. You can use the supplied adapters or alternatively your own cables, which I have used in the video. Most applications will only need a microUSB cable for charging devices and also recharging the powerpack.

I found this invaluable on a recent weekend trip, where I was using my phone constantly. It is stylish but functional, and even includes a torch. Highly recommended!

Edit: After using this for a few weeks I would highly recommend buying some proper short leads. The ones supplied are flimsy and the microUSB one bent in half in use. I would recommend purchasing a StarTech 6 inch Micro USB Cable - A to Micro B for most items. There are also short versions of proprietary cables available online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great So Far, 15 Sep 2012
B. Hamzah "Hamzah" (UK) - See all my reviews
So far so good. You will need to keep it charged all the time so that it can be used when needed. I take it travelling and have used it for my Iphone. Bear in mind that it does take some time to recharge the Iphone fully from low battery level, but the phone can be used with it plugged in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Battery Charger, 3 Feb 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have several mobile devices and take 3 with me when I travel my iPhone, iPad, and kindle. I try to find outlets at airports to plug them in, but so does 75% of the rest of the travelers. Each device's battery has a different length of life, my iPad battery runs out more quickly, followed by my iPhone and then my kindle. By carrying all three, I hoped that using them one by one I would have a mobile device for my East to West Coast travels. Now, we have external battery chargers, and they are a life saver.

This battery pack came well packaged, easy to open and encased in a strong plastic case. It has one port and comes with a charging cable and several adapters placed in a plastic bag. The battery has an on/off button and also has auto shut off. A blue LED indicates when the battery is turned on. While you are charging your device the LED is on. This battery pack is a very good size, small, light weight, and can be easily placed in a purse or pocket.

This battery charger is ideal for charging a smartphone 100% and an iPad 50%. My iPhone is an older model, and the battery runs out more quickly. I keep this portable power bank with me fully charged to use when my iPhone needs re-charging. This battery uses Lithium Ion battery technology and carries a 8000 mAh capacity. I keep this portable power bank in my purse with the charging cable, so that it is convenient for use at any time. The battery pack is black with a silver strip on either end, quite attractive. The adapters fit almost every kind of Mobil device, and for the price this cannot be beat. Note: I was provided this product to use and review.

Recommended. prisrob 02-03-14