4.0 out of 5 stars The excellent Saxon andrew
Annihilation brilliant , ashes of the realm looks like a classy follow up to it looking forward to reading book 2. I must admit l read Saxon Andrew first annihilation book with not much hope of
Published on 22 Dec. 2012 by graham mcculloch

3.0 out of 5 stars wow, just that.
Having really enjoyed the very readable Annihilation series I thought I'd give this a go too.

I started it and finished it in one day. That's not a criticism. It's a compliment. The book was entirely as unputdownable as the earlier series.

Published on 8 May 2013 by A. Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars wow, just that., 8 May 2013
A. Butler "tanj666" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Juliette's Dream (Ashes of the Realm series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The author writes essentially simple stories and mostly they are actually romances about people finding their right partners in life. While all around the universe goes to rack and ruin is hailstorm of advanced weaponry.

This series starts a few thousand years after the last ends. The universe is a different place without the Stars Realm to guide people to be nice to each other. It's a harsh and brutal place and the humanity pictured in this series seems to run the full gamut of archetypes. From the evil villains imaginable to the best of the best do-gooders. You'll find all of them here. humanity is no longer the constrained, tempered by civil wars, quiet but valiant race from the founding of the Stars Realm. Instead it is a fractured and broken race having long forgotten the pain born from nuclear wars back on Earth.

Starting in decidedly low-tech way, this book grabs you with the ease of which it slides you into the story and won't let go, culminating in a frantic headlong pace to it's all too soon conclusion. Too soon because you want to carry on reading, you don't want this to end.

I gave in at the end and have bought the three remaining books of this series so I don't have to wait next time, even for the few minutes it takes to download the books.

ADDITIONAL

Having completed all four of the this next series I thought I'd share my thoughts. If you don't want any kind of spoilers then stop reading right now.

The series takes a new slant on the age old arms proliferation problems of the earlier series. This time it doesn't advance as quickly or as dramatically. Instead it's up the psychics of the universe to advance. And, oh my, how they do. All good stuff so far.

But then things get a little ugly. It seems there is a creative force in the greater universe, that creates champions for itself, to fight evil (of course!) and maintain balance.

Well, it all gets a little too messianic with people having visions of this creative force and seeing that their role in the universe is to go around stomping on bad guys. You'd think they would have learned to measure an opponent up first at some point in their history, but sadly this never actually happens and the same mistakes in basic strategy are perpetuated time and again.

All this holier-than-thou rubbish ruined it for me, so I've lowered my score from 4 stars to a mere 3.

I'll try the other series by this author, Lens of Time over the summer. I do hope that god isn't involved with this one too.

4.0 out of 5 stars The excellent Saxon andrew, 22 Dec. 2012
enjoyment , how wrong l was a book l could not put down could not wait to start the next one and so on until I finished the series now I have another series to look forward to keep them coming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by very poor proofing., 3 Oct. 2012
This, along with other stories by Saxon Andrew, is a very good story. Well plotted (most of the time) with an interesting, if somewhat child-like, view of the universe(s). I like the way the plot lines are developing and, so far, I'm up to the start of book 3.

It is a far future history in which the civilisations of the Universe are recovering from a major series of wars at the end of a period of peace (The Stars Realm (sic)). On a single planet a young man comes to be the leader of three disparate peoples who have been living in a state of near barbarism. Beset on all sides by slavers and pirates, he sets out to restore some order to the universe, moved by a power greater than he is. On this path he will meet alien creatures of many shapes, sizes and colours - both good and evil - and will either conquer or absorb them into his growing empire.

I am persevering with these books because of their stories and the characters in them, who are all too human and believable - even if you don't believe in psychic powers - and who interact with each other and the other races in a believeable way.

Why do I say persevering? It's because of the poor proofing. I find greengrocers' apostrophes and poor use of English to be a huge distraction when I'm reading a novel. It is more difficult still because I know these books are intended for children, who will pick up the bad habits. It is also poor when occasional major mix-ups in character names occur. Just as well I'm following the story! I would be happy to offer my services as a proof-reader if I could improve the overall standard of grammar, punctuation and spelling - for a small consideration, of course :-)

If you are writing books for the younger reader/teenager, then you need to set a good example. Any word processor will pick up most of the kinds of errors I have found. In an electronic publication there is really no excuse for this type of mistake.

I hope it improves as I go through the series.