5.0 out of 5 stars One of my better decisions

Published 19 months ago by Hardy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my better decisions, 23 Mar 2012
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
I was looking for a folding bike to use for about 20-30 days a year, primarily in France. My bike rack doesn't fit my new car well and creates visibility problems, so I started to look for a foldable. Unfortunately, they all seemed to be expensive and ugly and some of the reviews were none too encouraging. Then I saw this one. I had some reservations that the low price would mean low quality, but not a bit of it. The bike took about 45 minutes to build from the box, with no adjustment needed on either the gears or the brakes. The instructions seem to be for another bike entirely - but what the hell? If you can't do basic bike maintenance, you shouldn't be riding... The hinge works on a quick release lever and the mechanism slides up like a gate bolt, when it's properly in place the bike is absolutely rigid. Personally I don't like dual suspension or twist grip gears, but the rear shocker is easily adjusted to make it really firm and the twist grips are as positive as any I've tried. I got the riding position worked out in a couple of miles on the road, then took it through a wood, round a lake and along a towpath - it was great, and the brakes grip like a vice also has an anatomically profiled seat, which I didn't expect. Bad points? Don't think the pedals are going to last long, they're a little rough and even though this is a moot point, the tyres smell really bad and I wouldn't want to go too far off-road on them and er, that's it. A word too about The Sports HQ who sell this bike - it was dispatched a little quicker than I'd expected and my change of delivery intructions was acknowledged immediately and courteously. Even with standard delivery, the bike was delivered on a Saturday morning, having been ordered online very late on Thursday night - absolutely astonishing service. To sum up, you're not getting a Cannondale here, you're getting a well built, practical solution to a specific need at a great price. Buy with confidence and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars cAncAn, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
Delivery was late but made contact by email to the company they were very fast with replying and sorting out and also refunded my delivery charge.
Th bike is good value for money, a few things that i have found was a down size is that the tyres stink very nasty of rubber used bike and well weatherd and they still smell strong may be having them changed, also bike very heavy, i have replaced the seat to a wider one and more comfort one but thats my choice nothing wrong with the sadle it comes with i just perfer a wider one not a pin to sit on. apart from that great bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking amazing quality, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
Nice looking bike but arrived with the front tyre bent. Excelent for the price (135 sterling) but brakes a bit weak. Confortable and quality components. I was doubting before buy but now I have to say it worths the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stow A Bike Review, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
THIS BIKE IS AMAZING. IT TOOK ABOUT 1 HOUR AND 30 MINS TO CONSTRUCT THEN IT WAS READY TO GO AND TEST. IT RIDES PERFECTLY! THE ONLY NEGATIVE IS THAT THE BIKE IS SLIGHTLY TOO BIG FOR ME AND I'M 5 FOOT 5". MY FRIEND WHO IS 5 FOOT 4" FOUND IT TOO BIG AND HAS SHORTER LEGS THAN ME. I THINK THIS BIKE IS GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY. IF YOU'VE BEEN RESEARCHING FOR A FOLDING BIKE, THIS IS A VERY GOOD CONTENDER. IT HAS A VERY EASY MECHANISM THAT ENABLES YOU TO FOLD THE BIKE IN HALF (A PEDAL NEEDS TO BE REMOVED IN ORDER TO FOLD THE BIKE FULLY). I CHOSE AN 18" WHEEL FOLDING BIKE AS I FELT THAT IT WOULD BE MORE DURABLE, EASIER TO RIDE AND LOOK LESS CHILDLIKE THAN A SMALLER WHEELED FOLDING BIKE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job, 22 April 2012
Henry (East Molesey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
Arrived within 2 days of order. Easily assembled out of box. So far rides like a dream - brakes and gears needed little or no adjustment from the minute they arrived. This is just the job for me (to and from the office, robust and easily stored)It is not a light machine and may not be suitable for those intending to carry it long distances on foot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this bike or deal with this company, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
The bike arrived all scratched and with no assembly instructions. I wanted to return it but they couldn't collect at weekends and I was at work during the week. They suggested I return a FAULTY item to them at MY inconvenience and expense which was a joke! Eventually I negotiated a 40 discount and kept it. When I tried to assemble it the pedals had no Right Or Left markings on them so ended up damaging the thread. This cost me 25 to fix! The bike is extremely heavy and the gears and chain don't work smoothly. They make a constant rattling sound and bits like the rear reflector keep falling off. The customer service was appalling as they seem to think that they could palm me off with a reject and get away with it. If you have any sense you will steer clear from this dreadful seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stowabike Folding Mountain Bikes, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike The new folding mountain bikes are great and we are extremely pleased with them and recommend them to everybody that needs a mountain bike and has limited space for storage of the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bike that stows - it does what it says, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
I wanted a full size mountain bike but have limited storage space so I decided to purchase a stowabike mountain bike. It has proved a great decision. It folds easily into a cupboard and is fixed rigid in seconds with a quick release clip. The bike runs very smoothly and had extras such as reflectors, bell and stand already fitted.
The instruction assembly manual was easy enough to follow although the illustrations were for a different type of bike! Within 45 minutes the bike was assembled and I was riding it, checking out the gears which worked very well.
The bike is quite heavy to carry and I wouldn't like to carry it long distances. however it fits easily into the back of my car and has proved to be a good value for money purchase. If you want a bike that stows away then this is the one.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THIS, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
Bought this bike 5 weeks ago and haven't had much chance to ride it due to adverse weather. Once I did I realized that The Sports HQ are having a laugh at my expense.It quickly developed a major fault in that the cog attached to the pedals became loose causing a jerking movement when pedaling and making the gears jump. Not good when traveling at speed. The gear grips have become stiff and you can quickly forget about using the first six gears as the left gear grip don't activate the chain to go on the cog. So steep banks are off limits too.Used contact seller and was ignored. Used raise a claim and was rejected as two days over the four week return period. I have took the bike to get fixed by a proper bike shop and they advised that it has been constructed using out of date cheap defective parts.So much that the bike company doing the repairs no longer sell bikes with grip shift gears as is a common thing for it to cause difficulty in changing gears and the pedaling mechanism is just plain nasty. By all means if you've got 140 to waste buy this cack and you should be able to freewheel to the local shops no problem.The stowaway part is clever and you will get a use out of it when you fold it and put it into the shed then forget about it. Learning curve for me as I now understand that for a decent bike ride I will have to buy quality and this product is not.AVOID.

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike (Misc.)
Heavy and uncomfortable, this bike looked good but did not feel good. After spending an extra 18 on a full MOT, the chain would only occasionally go into the biggest chainwheel.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›