5.0 out of 5 stars Good things do come in small packages!
The TZ30 (or ZS20 in the US) is Panasonic's new top of the range point and shoot travel camera. Since the release of the TZ20 competition in the sector has hotted up considerably with offerings from Canon (SX 260HS), Sony (DSC-HX30V), Nikon (Coolpix S9100) and Fuji (F770EXR) all competing with the TZ30 for a slice of the market. The "ball park" price of all these...
Published on 10 April 2012 by Paul Madge

3.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30 is overrated
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30 can take clear photos with good detail, also in low light situations. Photos taken with the built-in flash, however, looked unnatural and were washed out because of too much light. If you are considering purchasing this camera for the long (20x) zoom you might be disappointed - I was. Far away objects look normal size, ie. same size as with...
Published 21 months ago by bluesforlife

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, with a few niggles, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-TZ30EB-K Compact Camera - Black (14.1MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I bought this camera to replace my Sony Cybershot as it has a very limited zoom. Overall I liked the Panasonic. To be honest so far I don't find the pictures offer much over the Sony but that may be down to my lack of expertise with the manual controls. To sum up my impressions of the Panasonic are:

Pros: Excellent zoom. Very light for a camera offering so much manual control. Very good in macro mode.

Cons: no separate battery charger so you can't drop in a new battery and continue filming whilst the exhausted one re-charges. No memory card supplied with the camera, although you'll need one. The manual is on disc - meaning you'll use your own paper and ink cartriges to print out the 200 odd pages if you want a printed manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought to supplement a prosumer / bridge camera. It may well replace it., 17 Sep 2012
Mr. Rob Pritchard (Bury St Edmunds, UK) - See all my reviews
I am not a photographer. I am simply someone who uses a camera to record memories, hoping that at some 'twilight' stage in the far distant future I can look back over my life and be reminded of things I did, places I went, people I knew. Even now I have an electronic photo frame in the lounge, cycling through parts of my life, one new image every 15 minutes. How often it catches my eye as I walk past and I stop to think about that holiday or those flights.

My bigger Canon Powershot has been a great camera, but all too often I don't have it with me when I need it, and my smartphone camera is ok, but irritatingly inflexible. So I looked for a compact to fill in, was pointed at the Panasonic range and discovered the TZ30.

It's a handy size, seems well built and has one major strongpoint above all the others. Its 'intelligent auto' mode is perfect 95% of the time for the shot where you pull the camera from your pocket, point and shoot. It seems to work pretty well in low light also - and the auto panorama is a joy to use, providing effectively a super-wide-angle. No need to take it to the full 360 degrees, just sweep the area in front of you, crop if you wish, and you end up with a perfect wide-angle shot.

There are plenty more options if you wish to take control of the camera, rather than the other way round.

I have seen the image quality criticised in more 'enthusiast' reviews. Maybe there are better, but for me the images this little camera turns out are plenty good enough. Sufficient that I can see the Canon being used far less.

If you are looking for instant memory capture, you have found the solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally decided on Lumix!, 1 Sep 2012
M. Sarioglu - See all my reviews
Having read every single reviews on the web on 3 cameras (Canon Powershot SX260 HS, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30EB)I decided to see them in flesh for my own experience. Canon was too dated, bulky and horrible looking in flesh though pictures were of excellent quality, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V was also felt big and didn't seem as compact although there isn't much difference compared to the others in size though Lumix is the smallest of all which feels just like a point and shoot camera. Despite Sony having all the bells and whistles I just wasn't sure of the picture quality - images looked a bit too overly processed to my liking and wasn't as sharp when slightly blown up. I'm sure if I got to know it and it's settings then it has the potential to produce excellent images. Both Canon and Sony felt as though very sturdy cameras the casings was pretty much metal where as the Lumix doesn't feel as sturdy but may be just fine. Sony's connection points are exposed therefore they're prone to get clogged up by dirt and sand. Also Son'y charging point up is stupidly on the bottom of the camera!?! What were they thinking - they weren't obviously. I already own a Canon digital SLR so it would be interesting to do a comparison in pictures but it would be silly of me to expect very similar results. Personally I love the look and quick action of the Lumix, auto focus is excellent and very accurate even in dark condition unlike Canon.
Unlike Sony and Canon the flash is not a pop up one therefore you don't need to worry about your left hand fingers being in the wrong place or affecting the flash in operation.
In conclusion , if you are after a small pocket size camera with good range of zoom and ability to produce excellent images then don't look any further. It is much better equipped then Canon and in my opinion produces better results than the Sony. But go and see it for yourself in flesh and compare it to the others in the market. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things do come in small packages!, 10 April 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
The TZ30 (or ZS20 in the US) is Panasonic's new top of the range point and shoot travel camera. Since the release of the TZ20 competition in the sector has hotted up considerably with offerings from Canon (SX 260HS), Sony (DSC-HX30V) , Nikon (Coolpix S9100) and Fuji (F770EXR) all competing with the TZ30 for a slice of the market. The "ball park" price of all these cameras is around the 300 mark.

The TZ30 packs a huge 20x optical zoom together with GPS into a genuinely pocketable package. The 14. 1 Mega pixel sensor has been redesigned to give better low light performance and is supported by a very effective anti-shake system. To me the pictures are noticeably better than the TZ20 which we also own. I can best summarise the pros and cons of this camera as follows;

Pros
- The build and pocketable size combine to produce a stylish package - because of these factors this is the camera you are most likely to have on you for that once in lifetime shot.
- Huge 20x zoom with effective stabilisation plus further usable digital zoom.
- Pictures are pretty good most of the time (but see below) and certainly better than the TZ20.
- GPS works well plus there is a mapping DVD provided with a database of over 1 million landmarks across the world - you load the region you are using the camera in and it saves the data to the SD card.
- Good burst mode and fast autofocus with tracking mode.
- 1080p video is very good with a wide range of formats to choose from.
- Clear touch screen display.
- Lots of scene modes plus, creative controls, panorama and a 3D facility.
- Seems to cope well with backlit subjects.
- Battery life quite good for a small camera unless you use GPS a lot.

Cons
- Pictures are not noise free and follow the inevitable pattern of the higher the ISO the noisier the shot (but show me a truly pocketable camera where this isn't the case).
- GPS runs the battery life down very quickly, especially, as it remains on when the camera is off unless you switch it off.
- You can't input text via the touch screen plus, although ok, it is not as HD as some other brands - the Sony has twice as many pixels.
- No raw mode, and, in IA mode the camera decides on picture quality for you.
- Prone to red eye (like all small cameras where the flash and lens are close together) but there isn't a specific camera tool to edit this (or I can't find it).

Overall, this is an impressive camera, and the "cons", are in effect, limitations that all of the competitors suffer from too. In essence, it produces good results, is versatile, and, of course, there's that huge zoom crammed into a tiny package which really does get you close to the action. Although still new, I like this camera and it's growing on me, plus, it's small enough to keep in my pocket. Good things can come in small packages. Recommended.

PS. Although the description of box contents on this page suggests the camera comes with a stylus for the touch screen it does not. Also, if you are looking for a "minimalist" pocket case try the Lowepro Seville 20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things do come in small packages!, 10 April 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews

Pros
- Huge 20x zoom with effective stabilisation plus further usable digital zoom.
- Good burst mode and fast autofocus with tracking mode.
- 1080p video is very good with a wide range of formats to choose from.
- Clear touch screen display.
- Lots of scene modes plus, creative controls, panorama and a 3D facility.
- Seems to cope well with backlit subjects.
- Battery life quite good for a small camera unless you use GPS a lot.

Cons
- No raw mode, and, in IA mode the camera decides on picture quality for you.

Overall, this is an impressive camera, and, the "cons" are in effect, limitations that all of the competitors suffer from too. In essence, it produces good results, is versatile, and, of course, there's that huge zoom crammed into a tiny package which really does get you close to the action. Although still new, I like this camera and it's growing on me, plus, it's small enough to keep in my pocket. Good things can come in small packages. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera, 15 Aug 2012
D. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera for my wife as I have a DSLR. Having just come back from a holiday with a few hundred photos on the Lumix and my own camera I was initially horrified to find that with very few exceptions the best photos came from the TZ30! Having recovered from the blow to my photographic self esteem I realise that the secrets of the Lumix are that the intelligent auto is more reliable than me in setting up the camera for a shot, the in-built HDR is brilliant in creating good photos in difficult conditions, the zoom provides a versatility that the need to change DSLR lenses doesn't, the panorama mode produces great photos, the GPS saves a lot of effort in managing photos and the image quality is excellent in most situations. I am so impressed with the TZ30 that I have put own camera on eBay and will use the TZ30 exclusively from now on!

4.0 out of 5 stars TZ30 - SONY CYBERSHOT DSC-HX20V, 24 Jan 2013
A. Taylor (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Tried the TZ30 after returning a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX20, unfortunately, on arrival it looked like someone had played kick about with the camera's cardboard box! It's a testimony to the strength and quality of the TZ30 that it still worked when taken out of said battered box. It's a very solid, quality, feeling camera with all the controls falling nicely to hand.

The menu system has been simplified since I owned a TZ7 and in that respect much improved though one still has to plough through several to alter some of the functions.

The 20x zoom function worked well although the view on the LCD was somewhat better than the printed photo at the longer end of the zoom. Overall, I thought the photo's had slightly more vibrancy (punch) than those of the Sony straight out of the camera. But both have the ability to `turn up' the vibrancy of photo's so I am sure that there's something for everyone in there somewhere :-)

I found the GPS locked on quickly and the information provided was just the ticket for plotting one's whereabouts etc. as it did on the Sony.

Neither camera has wifi straight out of the box so either taking out the sd card card and putting it into a computer or connecting by USB is required to get the photos from one location to another.

I did not think the sweep panorama mode of the Panasonic was quite as refined as that in the Sony although it does allow one to `cover' more ground. Having said that I am sure my camera had a fault so that may have affected this aspect.

Apart from my comment on `punchiness' I did not think there was a great deal between the photo's from either the Sony or Panasonic, except, when enlarged to 100% the Sony photo's suffered to a greater extent from waterfall. However, the Panasonic was not fault free and above ISO 200 I found the pictures got progressively noisier.

Video, as mentioned above I am certain that the `kicking' this camera had received at one point or another had caused a problem and this was with the video side of things. I could not get the camera to focus at any sort of distance when in video mode. The zoom worked and everything appeared to function but it just would not focus. As I know from experience with Panasonic's, I've had three and have an LX3 in front of me as I write, they usually do a more than competent job in this area.

Four stars because I think ISO 200 is a little low to produce the amount of noise I was seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, easy to use compact, 17 July 2012
This is a great little camera with lots of tricks up its sleeve. I have a DSLR but find that too big to carry everywhere whereas the TZ30 is pocket size and is virtually as good. The x20 zoom is great, but can be expanded to x40 and even x80 without losing too much quality. Panoramic photos, still pics whilst videoing, video edit are just some of the features, to many to list here, of this camera. This is a must have camera for holidays, days out, weddings.....in fact any occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for action shots!, 7 July 2012
I'm no photography expert - more a happy snapper and mostly I take photos of my dog running around. With my older cameras i often found myself taking photos of her rear end as she'd already moved out of shot by the time the shutter fired. With this new Zumix, there's a fab continuous shoot function enabling multiple photos to be taken at once, and resulting in the best action shots I've ever taken!
The zoom is amazing and I recently captured some photos of seals on rocks that were so far away I couldn't actually be sure I was looking at seals until I zoomed in with the camera!
I like the short cut menu which enables access to commonly used featres and saves having to go through all the complicted menus. I'll be honest and say I've only really used it on the auto function, but this is all I need really and if the quality of these is anything to go by, then I'm sure those who want to have more control and use the many other options will not be dissapointed. Great value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding compact camera, 2 July 2012
I bought this recently as its predecessor, a DMC-TZ5, died after heavy usage often in tough conditions out in bad weather or recording the overhaul of a steam engine in a grimy workshop. The TZ30 is streets ahead of the TZ5, a good enough camera in its day. In particular I like the wider zoom range with much better image stabilisation at the telephoto end. The little Leica lens isn't Canon L quality but is very good for the class of camera with little distortion or chromatic issues. The aperture priority mode allows me the depth of field control that the TZ5 could not give me. With the exception of the fragile folding leaves of the lens cover the build quality is chunky and solid. The HD movie mode seems good but the files are enormous. Get yourself a large capacity fast write card if you want to use the camera for that.

Edit: Be aware that I bought via Digiplus and Amazon and sent off the paperwork for the Panasonic cash back offer only to be told that the serial number was not for a UK sourced model and therefore was not eligible for the Panasonic offer. That makes me wonder how Panasonic will react if a fault develops. So while the camera remains a five star bit of kit I am reducing my overall rating to four stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›