on 17 September 2013
I am a professional mermaid ([...] and recently purchased this camera to use as a backstage camera at our photoshoots and events. So far it has gone underwater in pools, freshwater lakes and sea water, it has been left in the sand, dropped on a pebble beach, taken to altitude and depth... it is totally fine! No damage, no leaking, no problems. Easy to use, easy to upload photos etc. Dark colour not very easy to see underwater, I'd have got the orange one if it hadn't been more expensive. The photos and videos are good quality, hard to get a very clear shot except for very close up, but that's normal for an underwater point and shoot, and I think is more due to lighting and the fact the people taking pictures are wearing mermaid tails :) Glad I bought it, better than my last underwater camera, well worth the money. This camera officially recommended by mermaids!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 May 2012
I just got this camera and after setting it up which was very easy i am impressed with the video and picture quality, when i turn my camera off and on total time for the display to show up is 3 seconds, i first tried this camera in our bath in underwater setting and it was pretty imressive.

For those who have doubts about this camera, I then took it to West Wales and used it in the Sea and the campsite pool, i could not be happier, it has done a great job on pictures and videos, the camera comes on within 1 second and ready for use, i have used it under water down to 10-15 feet not one leak into the door housing, the seal is great, i clean the camera under fresh water after every use, and when i open the door to change the battery i wipe the wetness from the seat. i rate this camera a 5 star.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2012
I do not write these reviews very often, if at all, however i am writing this review to compel others to seriously consider purchasing this camera if you are, an adventure/thrill seeker, a parent, and/or shrewd investor who doesn't appreciate shelling out countless pennies every time your camera gets a bit of dust or water splashed on it. I am all of the above and this camera has worked timelessly for me.

The Panasonic DMC-0FT4EB is an absolutely fantastic camera for everything from everyday use to fast-paced activities. The picture quality is second to none i have come across within the price bracket, even underwater, and the user-interface is remarkably easy to get to grips with, even for a technophobe like myself. There may be a few functions that i haven't quite got to grips with, but that is my fault for not reading the instruction booklet! I have had this camera for a year now and have taken it to dusty 50*C temperatures down to snowy -25*C, all the way to my holiday's in humid 25*C heat, snorkeling down to 5m and 'foam' parties in-between, and it has survived the lot with no hint of a problem. The ONLY problem, which i cannot blame on the camera is that i have now lost it! Which i am very angry about. However, i was so impressed with it's performance i am buying another one.

I hope you find this review helpful, i do not like shelling out cash for smart, slick technology that looks very flash, but cannot stand up to a rugged or family lifestyle. You know what it's like when your kids get hold of your technology, they just don't mix, at least with this camera it will still work and be in one piece when they are done 'playing'. I would much rather have something that although may not look as 'stylish' and 'slick' as some camera's on the market, will still work through almost any and all situations.

I for one love the looks, they fit in anywhere, the price is very reasonable considering what you are getting, the picture quality is great, the user-friendly aspect is excellent, (it actually gives you an on-screen guide for most if not all of the functions, should you ever forget), and i cannot stress enough how durable this camera is. If you do receive a camera and is does not live up to these expectations, please take it as a one-off, chalk it up to one slipping through quality control and send it back for a replacement. I have had such good experiences with this camera for all of the reasons above and i just want everyone else to experience the same value i have had. Good luck on your adventures, with this camera you will have pictures to back up your stories!
on 16 April 2013
Having completed months of research before a snorkel trip to the Maldives, I settled on this panasonic. It looks cool, feels good and with a floatable strap (purchased seperately) I was set up for a two week field test. I used the camera so much I had to charge the battery every night but I'm talking 4-5 hours of constant use with the camera left on. I used the zoom quite a bit and was a bit worried that my shakiness might ruin the final picture as its hard to keep still under water but the photos came out great. I only have an old fuji xp to compare with but this panasonic was far superior. If I can add a photo to this review I will show the quality but for a compact camera i'm really impressed. I've just put the SD card into the TV which is approximately the size of 6 lap top screens and the image is perfect. My hard work paid off and I definitely chose the best camera for my needs.
on 11 November 2012
I recently replaced an Olympus Tough who accompanied me for many years by the Panasonic for its waterproof characteristics and for its optical quality.
Unfortunately on my last trip it broke down: it fails to power on ever since. So I brought it to Panasonic for repair under the warranty. I was very surprised when it was returned unrepaired. They said it was compliant to the leak test under the manufacturer's specifications (basically it's my fault that the camera does not work, so the warranty does not apply). Note that I am long accustomed to the use of underwater equipment, and I always took good care of my Panasonic (before, during and after use in water, as recommended in the manual).
The camera cost me several hundred dollars for a few photos. Now all I can do is to buy a new camera on my own expense.

My advice to anyone considering buying this product (which makes great pictures despite its pitiful waterproof characteristic) for underwater usage is to do your homework and go through all the 1-star reviews of it of its older brother (FT3 or TS3) in Amazon's US site.
on 18 December 2013
I'm just about to venture into the scary world of DSLR but first I thought I'd write a review for my beloved old camera, after 2 years of carrying it every single day.

It has survived, against all odds. It's travelled the world, been in swimming pools...then snorkelling where it leaked. I left it to dry though and it somehow survived! It's spent 10 months on the beach, been in sand dunes, in snow, up mountains & it has been wonderful. I have taken some simply stunning photos with this camera. It takes beautiful pictures of people & that wide angle lens gets everyone in a group shot! The high-speed burst mode perfectly captures people jumping, I've got big groups to all jump at the same time & caught it in one attempt.

My favourite feature would be 'starry sky' mode, have a play. When I first used this to take a photo of the moon reflecting on the sea I nearly dropped my camera when I saw the result! You can leave the shutter open for 15, 30 or 60 seconds. All are brilliant depending how dark it is, just don't try holding the matter how steady you think your hands are.

It's not entirely waterproof and I don't think you can expect any camera to be, it's an electrical item and your trying to swim with it?! I never trusted it enough to take it diving but I know many who did regularly. I toyed with buying a diving case for it for a good year, but it's the same price as the camera! I figured I could live with it just dipping into the sea occasionally. A great thing you can do with a waterproof camera is hold it up in the rain at night, get rain on the lens and then marvel at the beautiful effect this creates when taking pictures with street lights & such.

If you want a rock solid camera that can (potentially) work underwater BUT that ALWAYS (this is rare) takes STUNNING shots on land, then you can't beat this.

My camera now looks like it's been in a war, it says something when it's selling for nearly the same price 2 years on!
on 12 June 2013
Bought this before going to a thailand on holiday during Songkran (thai new year) big water fights great atmosphere and soaked through took some fantastic photos and videos. Also went snorkelling and the pictures and video quality is fantastic video to take a turtle fab. The camera is easy to use and fairly lightweight it made me smile watching others with normal cameras and rather bulky waterproof cases on them this camera miles better.
on 17 October 2012
Taken this camera surfing and it didn't leak. Very easy to use and tough, my 5 year old daughter can use it and has dropped it. The last good thing and the reason i bought it is that the Which? gives it the highest rating of a waterproof digital camera and it has very quick shutter reaction speeds. No annoying pressing the button wait 3 seconds......miss the action.....try again. Press the button and the camera operates. I plan to take it white water kayaking.
on 3 October 2012
I am pretty impressed with this camera, but it is early days for me with it, and I will try to remember to update this review after a little more experience.

My initial opinion is that it is a well-built and strong camera and will indeed stand up to more than normal rough treatment. I have tried it on my bike and it withstood lots of juddering whilst taking video happily. I have used it indoors and outdoors and the results are definitely impressive. It is easy to use, the menu layouts are straightforward enough, and it seems to have sufficient options to make it a flexible camera for all sorts of conditions. I have tried it in a bucket too - not a very big challenge in terms of depths, but I had no leaks. The GPS feature is useful and accurate, even if it is sometimes a bit slow to get a fix (similar to my Lumix DMC TZ10).

My disappointment is the time-lapse feature. This is very limited and if you really want to do time-lapse this will disappoint you too. The settings only allow a maximum of 60 photos with a minimum interval of 1 minute. The result is that a time-lapse sequence will be short (e.g. just over 2 seconds at 25 frames / sec) or jerky if you run it slower. So it really is a gimmick and I don't understand why. The battery and memory would last much longer than 60 shots, and the firmware in the camera would just need a tweak. But I don't expect that will happen.

So, overall a very good camera for outdoor active use which should record a lot good memories to holidays and trips.
on 6 October 2013
I received this product as a present and have just used it in whilst on holiday by the Red Sea. The camera comes supplied with a 16gb memory card (good for 600+ pictures at highest resolution). This was bought and used for the ability to shoot underwater. It is not easy to actually see what is going on through the viewfinder,mainly because the subject is reflected through the water and several layers of glass before you actually see it. I tried to use the beach / snorkeling mode 1st but changed to underwater which produced superior results. I suggest to anyone who is thinking of trying to take underwater pictures, take plenty. At 1st you will take lots of fish tails and heads with a barren stretch of sand, soon will improve. By the end you will have several great pictures.
P.S. Do not show entire collection to friends or you will lose them very quickly!