4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes challenging but very much worth it!
Alison:[...]

Published on 27 April 2012 by Big Book Little Book

3.0 out of 5 stars partials
I downloaded this whilst it was on a 99p special deal as the book plot sounded exciting. Unfortunately the story felt far too long and didn't hold my interest. A cast of characters are introduced, none of whom really get to know.
Perhaps the book more aimed at teenage readers, there are hardly any adult characters in this city, the teens seem to run the place!
Published 3 months ago by kerry (my star rating is....)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes challenging but very much worth it!, 27 April 2012
Alison:[...]

`Partials' is set on Long Island in America at some time in the future. 99.996% of the population has been wiped out by the RM virus, believed to be released by the Partials, biological robots created by humans to fight in their wars. Partials were immune to the virus and now live on the mainland of America, the humans that remain on the Island may be the only survivors left in the world. But even these humans are split, those who support the senate that controls them and `The Voice' who opposes them. In the middle of this is Kira, a sixteen year old medical student who has dreams of finding a cure for RM. In the eleven years since the virus was unleashed there has not been a single baby who has survived for more than a few hours. Then Kira's best friend gets pregnant and finding a cure becomes that much more important.

This is another dystopian novel, in the wave that follows The Hunger Games, but this is a little different. Partials reminds me more of a traditional dystopian novel that pays homage to its sci-fi roots. This becomes very clear in the first couple of chapter and as I'm not really a lover of sci-fi I thought it would put me off but it didn't. This book contains all the elements that you would expect from a dystopian novel all in one book. It's set in a world unrecognisable to the one today due to one event that changed everything. It deals with governments who want to fully control the lives of their citizens and touches upon those who oppose them. It also deals with reproductive rights and the question of whether women should be forced to have babies to ensure the future of mankind. It also goes into the study of virology to give it more of an element of sci-fi (I will admit to not paying as much attention as I could have to these bits). The Partials are also pure sci-fi biological robots that think and feel and look exactly like humans, but aren't.

The writing is incredibly fast paced, at nearly 500 pages it is quite long for a YA book, but reading it never feels like a chore. The characters are very well written and very believable, there could have been a danger that the characters would take second place to the storyline in a book like this, but that really isn't the case. Character development is good and by the end you really feel as though you really know and can relate to the main characters, particularly Kira, the main protagonist. Not all the characters are all that likeable but that is to be expected in a book where control over others is such a strong theme. Dan Wells doesn't pull any punches either and there is plenty of violence and death. None of it is gratuitous and it's all in keeping with the storyline, but this probably isn't a book for younger children. Despite reservations at the start, I found myself completely absorbed in the story. Partials covers a huge amount of threads throughout the book but is never confusing. Most of all, it will definitely make you think. The ending sets it up very nicely for another book in a way that guarantees that the stakes will be higher. I can't wait.

Verdict: A fast paced book that deals with a number of issues. Sometimes challenging but very much worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Partials, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Partials (Paperback)
The human race is almost extinct, down to only tens of thousands, because of their war with the Partials, engineered organic beings, and RM, the virus which killed almost everyone and still kills every new-born child. 11 years after the war and the almost extinction the humans are living on long island but society is fracturing with no cure in sight and the mandatory pregnancy laws in the hope to produce a child that is immune. Kira is a 16 year old medic who is desperate to find a cure for RM, especially after she finds out that her adoptive sister is pregnant, but is she willing and able to go into New York and capture a living partial in time to save the human race.

Partials is a likable YA dystopian novel with an interesting plot but suffers from being rather slow as it focus a bit too much on science and not as much on the action.

While I liked Kira as she is very focused and really believes in what she is doing, I just could not feel any connect to her. Also apart from Samm and Marcus I felt like all of the secondary blurred together. It also felt like there should be more romance in this book than there actually was.

This book has an interesting twist which I can't wait to explore in Fragments even though it was a bit predictable. I would recommend Partials to people who like dystopian book whether adult or young adult.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great YA dystopian, if you can look past the slower parts., 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Partials (Paperback)
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Kira lives in a world where humans are dying out. After the emergence of a deadly disease called RM 11 years ago, 99% of the human population was wiped out, and the last known human colony lives on long island.

RM continues to be deadly though, and not a single human baby has survived for more than 3 days in the last 11 years, and people are getting desperate. The Hope Act states that all females over the age of 18 must get pregnant, and must continue to bear as many babies as possible, all in the hope that a baby will be born with immunity, but it hasn't happened yet, and Kira isn't sure it ever will.

Kira is training in a medical field, she's been working in maternity, and has already watched too many babies die. When her best friend Madison reveals that's she's pregnant, Kira knows that she can't let that baby die too, and knows that she has a time limit to find a cure for RM.

Partials (half human-half robot sentient beings) were created as soldiers to battle in wars, but they got a bit sick of this, and a war came about between the partials and humans. Everyone believes that the Partials created RM as a way to wipe out the human race, but that isn't what Kira is concerned with, she's just interested in the fact that Partials are immune to RM.

Explaining her theories to the chief of the hospital and the head of the government gets Kira nowhere though, and so she devises a treasonous plan with her friends - to find a partial, and study him, in the hopes of developing a cure and saving Madison's baby.
Can Kira really develop a cure for RM? Can she save Madison's baby? And is there more to RM and the partials that the humans don't know about?

This was a really good dystopian novel with a bit of a sci-fi twist, I just wish the pacing had been a little quicker.

I liked the storyline in this book, I thought that the world-building was done really well, and I was really excited to see what Kira could discover about the partials! There was excitement and anticipation in this book, but I did feel the pacing was a little slow. At 468 pages this book seemed to take forever to read, and even though I enjoyed it, it did seem to drag a bit.

I liked Kira, and I liked how devoted she was to curing RM. It was interesting that nobody else had even considered studying the partials after 11 years of dead babies, and when Kira eventually did get her hands on a partial, I did find it a little difficult to swallow that she was put in charge of research regarding him, even though she was only 16 and a very junior staff member at the hospital. Personally I would have expected at least a couple of people from the research team to be pulled in too, but I understand that the whole venture was being kept quiet.

I liked the interaction of Kira and her friends, and how they each helped in their own way. I really felt for Kira when she realised that her best friend's baby would die, and how personally she was invested in discovering a cure for RM.

There wasn't really a romance angle in this book, although Kira did have a boyfriend and there were discussions about marriage and babies, this wasn't really a storyline, and Kira was actually quite displaced from the idea of having children herself when it was suggested that the legal age for pregnancy as part of the Hope Act would be lowered.

I really can't imagine how dreadful it would be to live in Kira's world, and how awful it would be for so many babies to die! I did like the positive hopeful ending that we got though, even though things weren't really resolved.

I liked the storyline that we got from the Partials though, and how similar a situation they were facing. I would have liked to have learned more about the Partials, as I thought the idea was a really good one, and I'm hoping that there will be more information about them in the next instalment!
There was also a revelation towards the end of the book that I hadn't seen coming, which I hope will also be built upon in the next book.
Overall; A great YA dystopian, if a little slow-paced.
8 out of 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars To the Future, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Partials (Kindle Edition)
This book has taken me so long to read... Not out if choice but because I've been busy as of late.. The problem was, I wanted to read it non-stop!!

At first I was curious as to where it was heading then when the Cure became the target I had to know if they found it. Then all other events happened and my attachment to their world grew.

Although There is a lot of medical and scientific scenes throughout the book, it doesn't over power the story and it's simple enough to read whereas some authors would've thrown in much more complex jargon to confuse everybody.

There were a few bits I was a little fussy about, but all in all, I can't wait for the next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Read in an Over saturated Genre, 11 Dec 2012
g (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partials (Paperback)
I was a little hesitant with partials, the reviews on here were mixed and I loved Eden by Kreary Taylor which astounded very similar to partials, I worried that it would cover similar ground.

Once I got started on partials I discovered a new world, nothing like the other books in this genre. Most post-apocalypse books focus on the shortage of food, clothes etc, but dan has gone down the route that I would, less people = more things to go round, you've just got to find them. The community and forced pregnancies was another honest look at what the future is likely to be (presuming we are taken over by cybermen and one a handful remain). The story is fast paced and whilst it goes in the general direction the read expects, there are one or two twists that make it interesting.

Bring on book two

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a dystopian novel with decent world building!, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Partials (Paperback)
I'm a geek about the strangest things. Take World-Building for example. Most people I know like a little, enough that they can place the characters, understand the plot and know a few customs/traditions etc. Just "enough". Me? I like LOTS of world-building. I want to know about laws, buildings, where the characters buy their food, what they do for fun, how they get around. Especially dystopian fiction, I have got to know it all. I figure it's like those memes I see on Facebook that encourage you to work out so that you can outrun the zombies - I want to know what we're in for when the Overlords take control! Anyway...after reading *many* dystopian based books that were mediocre at best (They can't all be The Hunger Games) I was thrilled when I finally got around to Partials by Dan Wells and realised all my boxes would be ticked. Lots of government corruption, politics, laws, crazy rules, fleshed out characters and fascinating plot. #Winning!

Kira Walker is a 16yr old medical intern from Long Island working in a maternity ward where babies live less than three days. 99% of the human population was wiped out after a biological virus called RM was unleashed by the Partials, cybernetic organisms who were created to defeat China in the Isolation War and turned on their creators. Society has managed to scramble together and a Government desperately holding onto power has created The Hope Act; essentially turning women into breeders once they turn 18. Women get pregnant, the babies die and the cycle happens all over again. When rumours begin that the age is being lowered to sixteen, Kira, desperate to save her friends from the heartbreak of losing their children sets out to find a cure for RM once and for all.

I really liked Kira; she's intelligent, feisty, and loyal. Reminded me a lot of Katniss to be honest. I liked her refusal to accept the status quo and the compassion and love she clearly had for her friends. The secondary characters had enough substance to be noticeable from the beginning and happily were fleshed out as the story went along. They all had distinct personalities and their points of view were understandable from Haru (whom I hated at times) desperate to save his girlfriend and her baby to Xochi who was desperate to be free and young and experience her childhood without being oppressed. The only relationship I didn't buy was Kira and her boyfriend Marcus. It was tepid at best, I didn't feel any real passion and I couldn't care enough to root for them as a couple.

As much as I liked the characters it was the politics I was most interested in. The world post RM is brutal and unkind. In a world with no children, only adults of varying age, The Hope Act is terrifying to even contemplate and throughout the books we clearly see how power breeds corruption. The more stringent the laws, the louder the rumblings from "The Voice" the rebel faction keen to wrest control back from the Senate. As the plot develops we see just how far the survivors are willing to hold onto power and it personally gave me chills.

Be warned, there is a LOT of science in this book. If you're a fan of Michael Crichton you'll love it but it does get a bit heavy handed and overwhelming at times as Kira seeks answers to the RM conundrum. Part Two is not for reading when tired, distracted or under caffeinated. You will be scratching your head a lot if you are. In saying that it is incredibly interesting and kudos to Wells for making the effort to create a believable plot. So many dystopian novels will allude to an ecological/biological virus/war/disaster (delete as appropriate) but offer vague and lazy explanations why. Wells creates a world you can envision from the get-go. I'm certain Battlestar Galactica fans would love this book. The Partials remind me very much of the Cylons and I felt the same emotional pull towards them. Humanity despite coming out on the losing side doesn't deserve a lot of sympathy in this book. As we get to know Samm, a Partial Kira captures to understand their involvement in RM, we learn more about their shady origins and humanities chilling treatment of their "children".

The scientific info dump in the middle is replaced by some pretty exciting action scenes as the pace picks up towards the end. The tension builds nicely as Kira and her gang attempt to uncover the missing links to their past and the ultimate reveal- I did not see coming but it set the plot for book two up quite nicely. Despite the explosive revelations, it seems like the story is wrapped up in a bow until the final page when there's a cliff-hanger that is pretty awesome had me reaching for Fragments immediately.
Despite the weighty plot at times, this was definitely one of the most interesting dystopian books I've read since the publication of Hunger Games and Divergent. It's been a long wait but I found a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Trilogy!, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Partials (Paperback)
I have just finished the trilogy and devoured them in no time, urged to recommend this to all of you potential readers!

The protagonists are very well developed, the plot depends on the right amount of science and emotional drivers, no loose ends by the time you finish the series. In this genre, probably my favourite read this year: over to my kid to see what she makes of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Partials (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyable read. I read it in less than 24 hours and brought the second in the series straight away. Would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars partials, 26 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic YA Series!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Partials (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book in the Partials Sequence series. I loved it!

Kira is a sixteen year old girl living in a post apocalyptic Long Island, along with the few remaining humans after a biochemical war. I liked this character a lot. She has a lot of compassion, bravery and determination. However, she finds out a secret that will change her life forever.

I was recommended this book by Amazon, since I am a fan of dystopian YA. I decided to give this book a try, and downloaded an audio book copy to listen to whilst doing chores. I loved the story so much, I also purchased a Kindle copy to read.

Narrated by Julia Whelan, the story is a fantastic post-apocalyptic dystopian novel full of twists and turns. Kira is a girl facing an insurmountable challenge (capturing a Partial and trying to find the cure for RM). However, she has a host of friends that go with her on her journey. The story is told through Kira's eyes, and the reader goes through the ups and downs of being a teenager - the angst and the frustration of being old enough to work and have children, but not exactly treated as an adult either. The characters were quite interesting, but Samm was an enigma. Yes, he's a Partial, but I was dying to know what he thought of things. It would have been nice to have some of the latter part of the story from his point of view. However, that wasn't to be. There is political intrigue that threatens the populace, not to mention the RM disease. There is also hint of attraction between Kira and Samm that smoldered in the background and, even though Kira already has a boyfriend, I was secretly hoping that they would get together.
The narrator did a wonderful job in bringing the characters alive, but I was a little disappointed that she made Kira sound a bit whiny. Yes, teenagers and angst go hand in hand, but when I read the story rather than listened to it, the voice in my head didn't sound the same. I suppose it's the interpretation we, as readers, make when reading books that brings the book to life in the mind's eye. I am now wanting to read/listen to the next book in the series, Fragments and the final installment, Ruins, which has not been released yet.

Dan Wells has written a fast paced, action packed post-apocalyptic YA novel that kept me riveted from the first page. I loved his writing style, which kept me highly entertained and the story flowed wonderfully.

I highly recommend this book if you love books like The Hunger Games and Divergent or YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic genres. - Lynn Worton

Partials