Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 8 January 2013
If, like me, you have only a vague awareness of Dicken's life and times, this book is a good place to start. It has made me want to know more now.
on 1 January 2014
Love these history in an hour books. I get them on Kindle mostly for £0.99. Some for just £0.49. I have ten or more now. I have enjoyed them all. Why? They don't get boring. They put over the main issues in short understandable prose. Boy oh boy many, many a history book could learn from that.

Academic snobs will immediately say no depth. I say read these first to get the bones of a subject. You want depth look for the long often incomprehensible mixed up prose from the afore mentioned.

Not all, but too many in my humble opinion make interesting historical subjects downright boring.

Long live history in an hour.
on 26 January 2016
This book condensed Dickens life extremely well. Covered all areas about his personal and professional life. Answered a lot of questions. Very good reading.
on 23 May 2015
This was well written and clearly described the motivations,passions and life experiences of a truly unique writer. It provides a good background to his novels, explaining his intent and hope for each one. It was also fascinating to learn more about his personal life and various philanthropic efforts. Very much worth the money and an accomplished introduction for those wishing to know more about such an interesting man.
on 22 January 2013
I was impressed with this book ,it was short but very interesting. I have brought a few other history in an hour books.
on 27 October 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this brief history of Charles Dickens. Although very concise, the author Kay Jones succeeds in conveying an interesting insight into Dickens's character and lifestyle, in addition to providing factual information regarding his extensive literary achievements. The kindle version offers great value for money.
on 26 September 2013
Well I got what it says - Dickens in an hour. A wee bit disappointed as there was no in depth guts to the narrative and it all seemed a bit rushed. Still as I said - what else can you expect for a cut down autobiography?
on 15 January 2015
Got this on kindle for my 9 year old who was doing a project at school and we read it together. He worked out how to get it to read to him, so he also did that. It takes more than hour to read though!
on 8 February 2014
I really like these History In An Hour books as they are really informative and don't go on too much just the main facts. They are a hit with me.
on 27 November 2015
Useful summary of the great mans life covering most of the important events ; inevitably, much of the detail is lost at the expense of brevity