5.0 out of 5 stars English humour
Published 13 months ago by James Goulding

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Was not 'hooked', but finished it. Might try another book, but only if 'on offer'. Was not memorable and weak finish.
Published 14 months ago by Mr. Graham Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars English humour, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on the strength of its title. I live in Wigston, and am sorry (but unsurprised) that no-one has written a detective story set in this wonderful town. Wigston may not quite be in the North, but "Weighton" seems the next best thing. The parochial English setting is indeed a prominent feature of the book; I enjoyed that, and I also like the author's distinctive sense of humour. For example, his protagonist Eddie describes his love interest Kate and her long legs as "'shock and awe' made woman".

Eddie is twenty-six, an inch short of six feet tall and handsome--or so he tells himself. His new career is as a fully cased-up Private Investigator. Unfortunately his first client, Mrs. Porson, lasts only a day before she is murdered. Instead of investigating a blackmail triangle, Eddie is now compelled to locate the culprit.

"Weekend in Weighton" is well worth a read, especially if you are fond of mildly satirical, quirky mystery thrillers in the vein of "Hot Fuzz".

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel please, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
Quick, fast paced and good humour. Eddie G kept me up at night. Looking forward to having him for a week!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Laugh, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
Weekend in Weighton was a really good read and I was smiling through most of the book. Eddie G I thought was a good character. The plot wasn't half bad as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
Good, believable characters, well written fun.
Well worth reading. I will be looking for the next one
I didn't see the ending coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read. Want More., 28 July 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
Eddie G is the love child of Bruce Willis (the wise-cracking "Moonlighting"/"Hudson Hawk" Bruce Willis) and Vinnie Jones of anything he's been in. A Smart-arse with a penchant for trouble, whether he's looking for it or not. And he's not shy about facing trouble head on, when he needs to.

Eddie is on his very first case as a Private Eye when his client turns up dead. A blackmail case with more twists and turns than Six Flags Atlanta, populated with gangsters, crooked cops, an unattainable beauty and scads of adventure make this one helluva read.

If I may, an excerpt:

----------

'Tom,' I said, 'allow me to explain. There are five tenets of Tae Kwon Do.' I did a quicksilver air swipe with my hands, my elbows making a loud slapping noise against my jacket. 'Number one: /courtesy/. How are you, Tom? Two: /integrity/. I will use no tricks or weapons to vanquish you. Three: /perseverance/. As many blows as it takes. Four: /self-control/. No more than it needs. And lastly, but of most relevance: /indomitable spirit/. Courage and principle will prevail against overwhelming odds. Every time.' I gave him the tiniest bow of my head. 'And now I'm going to kick the sh!t out of you.'

-----------

And (spoiler alert) he proceeds to.

Murphy does a great job creating the world, the characters and situations. The story grows organically. I was sucked in from the first page and the story kept me tied to the book until it was finished. The story takes place over a weekend (hence, the title) and it took me less than a weekend to read it. I'm guessing, but I'd say it's bout 70k words long, and is a very fast read.

The end promises a sequel. More Eddie G, more hot lawyers and, inevitably, more danger. I look forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murphy the master, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
Very, very funny. Not the easiest to write this genre as it can be un funny in the wrong hands but this is quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing, 5 May 2013
A. Bailey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
A fun read, light, easy and enjoyable, I recommend it to anyone looking for a quick read. The plot is not too outrageous and the characters are fun. Another one please!

5.0 out of 5 stars When's the next one!, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. Can't wait for the next. Had never heard of this author before. Will recommend to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome surprise, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
I've grown a little disappointed with some of the freebies Amazon seem to announce as best sellers so was more than happy to find a real contender for best surprise this year!
Sharp, irreverent, lively, a great plot and well told, I'd recommend this little gem to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wonderful whirlwind of a Weekend in Weighton!, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Weekend in Weighton (Kindle Edition)
This rollercoaster of a detective story begins and (bar the Police station) more or less ends at Weighton Town Hall. By the end of the book I could direct you there myself, so familiar did this small town's streets and its good citizens and shady crooks and doubting coppers feel to me. Weighton's First and Foremost Private Detective Eddie G, with his fabled sixth sense and `deliberately untidy mop of blond hair and steadfast jaw', was a handsome git, (his words, not mine) and although it wasn't love at first sight (I was laughing too much) by the time the story ended I think I was a little in love. Charmed, certainly.

This is a cracking story, told in such an original and engaging way I'm not sure quite how to put it into words. Eddie, never lost for words, would not struggle! From the start I laughed at Eddie's sizzling one-liners, and for a while I just enjoyed the ride. It was as if I'd climbed aboard the Waltzer at Weighton's funfair and from a safe distance could watch the incredible events of Eddie's action-packed weekend unfold before me in vivid cinematic technicolour. Full of unpredictable twists and entertaining turns I think what stood out for me was the genuinely engaging `voice' of the author, his forensic eye for detail and an outstanding sense of place. I was there, and if ever I need a private detective I want Eddie G on the case. I sensed an atmosphere a bit like in the old-style detective movies (think raincoat, Fedora tilted low, Dick Tracy-ish) but there any similarity ends other than Eddie's love of his dad's old Detective films with which he formed a close relationship during a long period of unemployment after dropping out of college. This is highly original, with Eddie on his bicycle dodging crooks and policemen and pursuing his first love Kate, who has returned to her home town a fully fledged solicitor. Handy in Eddie's new line of work.

With romance a possibility and his Dad's good name to maintain and his beloved Mum to look out for Eddie has a lot on his hands already, without the Nkongos and dodgy coppers and Team Jimmy and the rest of the mob. Not to mention that he has somehow managed to get himself implicated in the murder of a certain lady of a certain age. So, with his own name to clear, and just a weekend to do it, like Eddie said, `It was turning out to be an exceptional day' - and that was just Friday.

Without giving too much away, this book was so much more than I expected. Yes, there are punch-ups (with perfect comic timing) but to me it positively sang with an irrepressibly good spirit - Eddie's - and underlying all the humour and smart quips and song lyric chat-up lines was the hope that everything would work out for him, in life, in love, and with his family. A jubilant , uplifting read - I loved it. Or as Eddie would say - Hi Ho Silver.

Weekend in Weighton