5.0 out of 5 stars Whoo, I was blown away!
Michelle Branch, personaly I think is great, but over here in the UK she dosen't get alot of prais for how good she is. But I think this album will show 'em. Unlike her debut The Spirit Room I think this album will shine in the charts. Why? Because it is packed with catchy songs like Are You happy now which is great & the fantasic everywhere and the standout track 'Love...
Published on 8 July 2003

This review comes from an internet game. You buy an album you've never heard of from a shop. Then you write your impression of it before and after listening to it for the first time.

---BEFORE LISTENING TO IT---

Published 17 months ago by BS on parade

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars True talent, 19 Jun 2003
It's so refreshing when some like Michelle Branch enters the music scene. Her sound is young but mature at the same time and brings a sense of skill into a fast becoming boring musical world. Her real talent and song writing abilties have inspired many and this new album is no let down. With amazing tracks like "Are You Happy Now?" and the title track "Hotel Paper", it's proof to fans that they have struck gold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the spirit room!, 29 Jun 2003
Michelles second major album, hard to believe, but this cd is even better than the previous "The Spirit Room". Written at only age 19, this album proves Michelle is wiser than her years.
Intro- strange but interesting.
Are You Happy Now- Debut single from the album, very grungy rock style.
Find your way back- Catchy indie/pop song.
Empty Handed- Again back to the grungy rock.
Tuesday Morning- A mature and soulful song.
One of these days- Michelle wrote this in less than 10mins! But it doesnt show from the song.
Love me like that- An amazing duet with Sheryl Crow.
Desperatley- Another amazing indie song.
Breathe- My personal fave from the album, its a fun and catchy song.
Where are you now- Excellent and amazing stuff. You really have to hear this album.
Hotel Paper- Lovely song. Slows the pace of the album slightly.
Till i get over you- This song contains french lyrics, need i say more?
Everywhere- if u havent heard this, where have u been?
Game of Love- A duet with Santana, can this album GET any better?
Its You- A sweet song to round off the cd.
You have GOT to buy this cd, its fantastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough sounding guitar pop but hampered by very, very insubstantial lyrics, 7 Feb 2013

---BEFORE LISTENING TO IT---

WHY DID YOU SELECT THIS ONE? I've seen it on shop shelves for years. It was never appealing enough to drop 3 on, but for 1 why not? It's obviously a pretty voiced girl singing a bunch of pop orientated love songs. How bad can it be?

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE COVER? It's a good looking girl in a standard close up headshot cover. No imagination to be found. The only slightly out of the ordinary thing is that it appears to have been photographed at magic hour when the sun is about to go under the horizon which creates golden, glowing light. The image, and the thinking behind it, stirs nothing in me and leads me to expect no surprises or any eccentricity from her.

WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC ARE YOU REALISTICALLY EXPECTING? Like Vanessa Carlton (see previously in this thread) I expect a weak, tepid album but three to five solidly decent to very good songs. The Sheryl Crow duet hints that at least that song should be good. The song titles are bland. Only the title track piques my curiosity to any real extent. It makes me think of both toilet paper and Janet Leigh in Psycho (1960) writing in her room on the stationery. I expect she has a nice, if unremarkable voice, and that she plays the guitar. For some reason I doubt there are keyboards on more than a few songs. Also the songs are probably straightforward love songs with no distinct, quirky personality of their own that only she could have come up with. I think a third of it will be up-tempo pop songs, a third rockier songs and a third ballads.

BEST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Strong music and lyric writing and a strong, forceful voice on a set of consistently good guitar based songs.

WORST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Insipid, generic, immature female singer-songwriter music with nothing to say.

HIGH, LOW OR MIDDLING EXPECTATIONS? Low for the album, almost high for a few solid tracks.

---AFTER LISTENING TO IT---

WHAT DID IT SOUND LIKE? A thick, fully produced sounding guitar based singer-songwriter pop album. I only noticed piano on one song ('One of These Days') were it was the lead instrument. It was rockier than expected. She has a nice singing voice.

DID YOU LIKE IT? It started quite good. Then by about the fourth song I realised that the lyrics were vacuous. Sonically the songs sounded nice but there was no substance behind the noise. The words may appear to mean something, but on closer inspection they are meaningless. Before the end I had a sour taste in my mouth due to how empty feeling it was. It was all a facade to hide how little there was going on underneath the surface. The lyric, 'I've been driving for an hour just talking to the rain,' from the opening of 'Breathe' almost had me laughing at how poor it was.

DID IT SATISFY, SURPASS OR FAIL YOUR EXPECTATIONS? Met them in that the album was weak but there's about an EPs worth of okay songs.

WHAT ARE THE BEST SONGS? 'Are You Happy Now' (short and effective), 'Empty Handed' (nice orchestra on it), 'One of These Days,' 'Love Me Like That' (the duet with Sheryl Crow) and at a push 'Where Are You Now?' as it has some convincing loud rock moments on it.

WHAT ARE THE WEAKEST SONGS? 'Breathe,' 'Hotel Paper' (a dreary ballad), ''Til I Get Over You' and 'Everywhere.'

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS? No.

PLEASE DESCRIBE AND SUM IT UP IN ONE SENTENCE. Nice sounding guitar pop but hampered by very insubstantial lyrics.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS? I'm just going to put the songs I listed as the best on my iPod and not bother with the rest.

---A MONTH OR TWO LATER---

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE PLAYED IT? Once on CD.

HAS THE ALBUM IMPROVED OR WORSENED WITH TIME? I ripped the CD to iTunes and listened to a few of the better songs again to see if they were really worth putting on my iPod. I decided they weren't. So the album is a massive dud in my opinion. I have no intention of listening to her ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Avril Lavigne..., 19 Aug 2006
... make room for a superior talent. Much as I love Avril, "Hotel Paper" is in a different league altogether. I cannot tell you how many times I've played this album in the last year, probably hundreds, literally, and I can tell you that familiarity doesn't dull it's shine one little bit. It's never far from my car CD player, iPod, computer, hi-fi, even on my phone. It's playing as I write this. I even catch myself subconsciously humming tracks when I wake up!

Both lyrically and musically, Michelle is at the top of her game, a fact very much in evidence on tracks such as "Empty Handed" (absolutely my favourite among favourites). There's a breadth of talent here that makes me wonder how it is that MB is not as much a household name (in the UK at least) as Avril, Alanis, et al.

Her collaborations with Sheryl Crow ("Love Me Like That") and the great man, Carlos Santana ("The Game of Love") are just two of the other highlights of this brilliant album. I've got pretty broad musical tastes, but not many albums work their way so far into my life as this one has. And to think it was a chance-find on Amazon!

If you buy only one album this year, make it this one. Sublime.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST album in the entire world...EVER!!!, 22 Sep 2003
By A Customer
The honest truth is that is album is the best I have ever heard!!! Wouldn't say it is better than the first because for Michelle to have written an album like The Spirit Room when she was only 14 is amazing enough in its own right, but now Meech has come out with "Hotel Paper"! Which is absolutly magical! Every single track has it's own stunning uniqueiness, which only Meech can provide to a growning audience all around the globe. My personal favourites would have to be "Tuesday Morning", as it has a certain sense of a lost feeling about it. "One of these days" is more or less like the "Goodbye to You" of this album. Ending off this fantastic album is "its you", the perfect little love song, which needs no prise or jutisfaction as the song basically speaks for itself! On the whole "Hotel Paper" is the perfect album for people of all types of interest as every track touches a part of us which we may not admit, but can all relate to. Michelle is a wonderful writter and is definitally here to stay. Make sure you have this album in your CD collection!!! The must have album of the century!

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I had hoped, 18 Sep 2003
By A Customer
I stumbled across the Sprit Room and loved it and so was really excited when I heard about the new album Hotel Paper. Unfortunatly it did not live up to my expectations. It is 'ok' and has a few good songs:
9. Breathe
14. The game of love
15. Its you
but one of those is a bonus track along with Everywhere which features on the first album.
You have to give her credit as Michelle has a great voice and huge talent. But the songs really let her down on this album. Lets hope it gets better.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD contains probobly the best music ever made !!! 5+++, 19 Sep 2003
This review is from: Hotel Paper (Audio CD)
This album contains 12 perfect songs(not counting "Intro"). I'm a huge fan of Michelle, so I can't really write about this album with clear mind. So, I'll keep it short: This album is flawless!!! Those intelligent lyrics are fitted with powerful, stylish and smooth melodies in a way that a mortal human couldn't even think of !!!
Just buy this album and see what I mean !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Um... why?, 8 Oct 2003
David Robinson "kinitawowi" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to start by saying, this is a great album. A little inconsistent in places (Desperately just doesn't cut it, compared to say One Of These Days) while absolutely barnstorming in others (Are You Happy Now, One Of These Days and Love Me Like That), it's about as good as you'd expect from a highly talented, barely-19 year old releasing her second album in modern climes. It's a refreshing change that the UK badly needs.
So why did they decide to stick the finger up at us poor Brits?
Firstly, let's look at track 13. Everywhere. What purpose does it serve, putting this track on the album? Given the next problem, I can only assume it was to eat up space on the disc. Including this track, which was already one of the standouts of The Spirit Room, suggests that Michelle isn't trying to move on with her sound and is instead content with living on past glories. Which is a shame, and completely unnecessary as this album has more than enough highlights of it's own. The Game Of Love is a welcome addition, though.
However, doing this seems to be a way to prevent the UK release from containing the enhanced video elements that the Americans get.
So, go to HMV, pay the extra 1 it takes to get the import version, and enjoy the full features to your heart's content.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! MINT ALBUM, 21 Jan 2005
By A Customer
What can i say about Michelle Branch except that she has one of the best voices around and has 2 fantastic albums. This album is so addictive and rightly so. THE UK NEEDS AN ARTIST LIKE MICHELLE BRANCH !
BEST TRACK-Breathe
NOT SO GOOD TRACK-The Intro (whats that all about?)

3.0 out of 5 stars are you happy now?, 21 Jan 2005
By A Customer
primarily, yes... after a few listens, not so much. too rushed, too many fillers, very little to look for. even "breathe" is sickly... she's got arrogant, i'm afraid to say, and its not good. still, aside from all that, still flawless songwriting and raw-er vocals. michelle's a good chick.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›