4.0 out of 5 stars WORDPRESS TO GO
I got introduced to wordpress by an adventure when I was looking into ways of building my own website without using a web designer. I started to build the site, but it was looking like that of an amateur, as I could not use/edit most of the dashboard functions. This then made me to look for a wordpress book on Amazon. I bought the first book "24-hour Wordpress...
Published 23 months ago by Esther

3.0 out of 5 stars A great starter to Wordpress but........
First of all let me agree with most other reviewers and compliment Sarah on producing this well-written and easy to follow short book on WordPress. Like most novices, I'd read that WP is the flexible future if I wanted to produce my own website without going to Geekdom and back and needing to learn and write in code. Before buying her download, I'd spent fuddled days...
Published on 21 July 2012 by MeDo

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow., 13 Oct. 2013
For someone who has not designed a web page before, at last I had found an easy to follow guide that works through the tasks in an uncomplicated way. Clear instructions and diagrams to help you understand the stages you need to work through and how to get the best out of your design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 20 July 2013
I am in the process of setting up my first site, using WordPress and a domain for the first time. I found this book easy to read and work through and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is starting out.

The book is for beginners and does a good job of taking you through the steps in a simple and clear way, I have gone from having not used WordPress to having a basic site up and running by simply working through the chapters/lessons. This book won't make you a WordPress expert, it will allow you to create a functioning basic site, and that may be all that you require.

It has set the foundations for me and I really do hope that Sarah writes another book to cover the next advance level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really clear and simple, 17 July 2012
Melissa Addey "Melissa" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WordPress To Go - How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner (Kindle Edition)
I need to build a website and was looking at £500-1000 for a professionally made one even though what I want is fairly simple. Got this thinking I'd just see if it made it simple to build your own and it's a GREAT read. Really simple clear instructions, has given me huge confidence, am going to have a good go at doing it myself! I'll report back in due course but I can tell just from the way it is written that it will be as easy as it can be made to be!

Quick update: it's even better than I thought, the hosts she recommends are brilliant and the software (with her guidance) is really easy to use. If I'd had all my images and text ready to use I'd have had a good attractive website up and running in under 3 hrs. I'm having fun tinkering and I'll come back and leave a link when it looks presentable! So far I've spent about £70 for this guide, the hosting package for 2 years, the domain name and some professional images I needed. Really, really good guide!

Update: [...] if anyone wants to have a look (I write historical novels so its my own person website). I think overall I paid £100 (images, hosting, the book itself, domain name etc) and I'm pleased with it. There are fancier ones you can build as well of course (and look out for ones tailored to special requirements like photographers) but it really is quite easy to use. If you get stuck, enter Wordpress, your theme and the problem into a search engine and there are lots of forums where people explain how to do something (easily!).

So overall, very impressed. Yes if you wanted something fancier of course you could have it built but this is a cheap and easy to use option for those wanting a simple site - and you feel pretty good for building your own site!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you don't already have a website up and running, 9 July 2014
Nice and straight forward but unfortunately didn't help me as I was building for an existing domain name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward, useful and enjoyable, 18 May 2014
I bought this book after getting lost in the mine of information out there on Wordpress and really needing a foundation of understanding key points before trying to build my knowledge. This guide successfully identified the main areas I needed to understand to get me up and running with building my first proper Wordpress site. I am not a 'techie', and tend to get intimidated by 'tech speak' but Sarah McHarry's guide was very clear with an accessible, friendly writing style, she helps you every step of the way! I now feel confident enough to try it all out and create my first site. Would definitely recommend this book, I found it a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'little' book, 29 April 2014
The author of this book is able to use great economy of expression. I started this book as a Wordpress virgin but was immediately able to experiment and develop some very satisfying ideas. If you feel you want more comprehensive coverage of the topic, there are plenty of books out there. Start with this one. As a minimum, it will give you context to guide your further development.

And finally, a big thank you to the author. She has certainly saved me a lot of time and money, to say nothing of my new found knowledge of chicken rearing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crystal clear, 21 Feb. 2014
PatsyT (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've created three websites/blogs on Wordpress and every single time I seem to come up against new problems - either because I have a short memory or because they are changing the goalposts. Having bought Sarah McHarry's book I have managed to find a solution to virtually all these problems and I can't thank her enough. I didn't follow her tips on hosting, or on downloading the Wordpress software as I'd already established other sites on Wordpress, which seemed to me cheaper and simpler (though I may well be wrong), but otherwise, all you need to know about how to create pages and posts, and what the difference is, is here. I don't find Wordpress particularly intuitive but it's a 100 times easier now I have this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the newbie, 13 Nov. 2013
If like me you know next to nothing about web design this is the perfect starting point.
Using this and some comments on Digital Ocean my website was up and running in just a few hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful tutorial, 1 Jun. 2013
As a complete novice I found this tutorial to be an honest and straightforward guide which has helped me to create my first website. It is a really good start and I look forward to building on my skills, and continuing to improve. Ms McHarry also very helpfully points you in the right direction if you want to go on learning by leaving you with links and information on further resources. Definitely recommend this to other novices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 7 Mar. 2013
Great for the absolute beginner and very useful for people who have already dabbled in WordPress. For the money excellent value.