on 23 February 2012
I think I like the idea of this book more than the execution. I like the characters, I like the story, but it needs some editing and more writing to make me love it.

This feels more like the start of a story, rather than giving me a satisfying conclusion. I understand it is part of a series, but this just doesn't feel like a whole story to be published alone, but the first section in a longer work. And, even then, I think it needs some rewriting to expand the characters, take out the overwritten explanations and provide more show don't tell.

I think the author had certain scenes clearly in mind, but not all of the ideas get onto the page, which means the pace is far too quick for my taste. Any suspense is left between stories, not in this actual story, which, since it is being presented as a standalone work, left me dissatisfied. Everything is in question-answer pairs and the only answer to be given in this story comes far too quickly, even episodes of TV shows usually take longer to get to the point.

So, I gave this book a three star review for the ideas, but I'd have liked more plot.
on 16 February 2012
I enjoyed the characters in this book and the plot was engaging. There is a nice lot of supernatural goings on and a story well woven to make you think and not instantly know what is happening. I often have the issue of being able to figure out a plot the moment all the characters have been introduced, but this one had me wondering. There was enough information to keep me interested, but not too much so it was written up in neon who did what to whom and when.

I haven't given it five stars because I found some parts of the book a little overwritten and stilted. It wasn't enough to make me want to put the book down, but every now and then it made me notice the writing rather than staying completely engaged in the story.

A good book, well worth a read and I am now going to go buy the sequel.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 February 2012
Decent little supernatural book with witches, weres, vampires and spirits. It is YA and I would say suitable for readers age 13 upwards. It has all the elements, which will interest younger readers of this genre. The handsome wolf, the cute wizard, the dashing vampire and an island full of magical dangers to top it all off. I think the writer needs to watch the tone of the story in some parts, as it was in danger of sounding very report like on occasion. Also the superfluous details about why a specific character had done/said something for instance Emily's father and Melindas subsequent explanation. It is written for a younger age group so simplicity at times is only to be expected. I think YA fans will enjoy it.
on 16 February 2012
I am 11 and this book is just right for me. it allows your imagination to go wild with the feeling this author creates, also I liked the cliffhanger at the end which has resulted in me buying the next in the series.
on 5 March 2013
Suitable for teenagers. Fast moving storyline about most supernatural beings. The only problem to all the books in the series is 77 pages are too short hence 4 stars.
on 28 November 2013
The book has the potential to be extraordinary but, having only read the first volume, I have been unable to form a firm opinion.
on 13 August 2015
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the characters, the story, how the characters interacted with each other. This book was easy to read and was kind of twilight meets vampire diaries. I think this series is more aimed at a younger audience than myself (more mid teens than mid thirties) but I am not ashamed to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and downloaded the next in the series as soon as I had finished it.
on 9 September 2013
I really enjoyed this book and had to download every book Rachel Humphrey has written to date. If you love mystery fantasy and a bit of love in the mix this a book for you! WOW
on 22 April 2013
This was a good read, the only thing I would of liked to see was more info about the characters as the story ended too soon. Sayingthis I would like to read the next book.
on 29 December 2014
Really good... aside from a few spelling/grammar issues.
Immediately downloaded the rest if the series, so Rachel must be doing something good!