5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect
The Bridge for me surpasses all those dramas which have come before from our Danish/Swedish cousins. I thought The Killing was excellent, I felt Varg Veum was superb but The Bridge takes the veiwer to another level in appreciation for both the production and delivery of a top notch crime drama.
If we could produce drama half as good as this I'd never quibble about my...
Published on 8 May 2012 by J.Wild

3.0 out of 5 stars good performances, shame about the plot !
The Bridge begins well enough with a mystery, great main characters and a culture clash between Sweden and Denmark. However by episode 5 the crime has become so overburdened with significance that we are in the territory of a "state of the world" critique. Then in the latter episodes we are back to a fairly basic crime thriller/ revenge tragedy. There are so many brutal...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect, 8 May 2012
This review is from: The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
If we could produce drama half as good as this I'd never quibble about my licence fee ever again.
The characters are presented as human and flawed and you become invested in what happens to them, even the unpleasant ones.
Unlike many of our own dramas I found myself experiancing a whole range of emotions as I followed the case to its total 'none Hollywood' conclusion.
Cant wait for series two...........

5.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Burner., 27 Feb 2012
Mr. T. A. Maurice "Film Addict" (Essex,England) - See all my reviews
Initially one will think that the early episodes contain a great deal of plot padding with side stories,and their characters,appearing to have no bearing on the central storyline.
However,the disparate threads are slowly drawn together to contribute to the solving of the crime,and the unmasking of the perpetrator in this ultimately tense thriller.
Also,intially one may find the character of Saga Noren(Sofia Helin)somewhat annoying,but gradually one begins to warm to her,and empathise with her personality.
For me Sofia Helin's performance is superb,and at times brings a 'touching' quality to the character of Saga Noren.
One must also compliment Kim Bodnia for his performance as a sometimes exasperated colleague(Martin Rodhe) of Saga.
Comparisons will no doubt be made to the 'Forbrydelsen' series,but for me where 'Broen' scores is in the touches of humour brought by the actions of Saga Noren that were lacking in those of Sarah Lund.
'Broen' is thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Lund meets Wallander while looking for Those Who Kill a member of Borgen(sort of), 25 Feb 2012
Mikey (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Appealing to nearly 2 million weekly viewers, The Bridge (Swedish - Bron) (Danish - Broen) aired in the autumn of 2011 every Wednesday night at 8pm in Denmark and 9pm in Sweden. Danish network DR screened episodes a week after their Swedish SVT counterparts before the Danes caught up by screening a double episode to conclude on the same night as SVT.
The Bridge is probably best described as a mixture of three recent popular Scandinavian acquisitions on UK television, Wallander, The Killing and Those Who Kill. Considering that all three of these series along with Danish political drama Borgen are all set within an hours journey of each other in the Öresund/Øresund (S/D) region, The Bridge should have something to appeal to fans of all Nordic series.
Unlike the other Danish shows, you won't find many actors from the other programmes here with the exception of the lead male Danish policeman played by Kim Bodnia (guest appearances in The Killing 1 and Those Who Kill) and a very brief appearance by Nicolaj Kopernikus (Vagn - The Killing 1) as the father of a hospital patient, Morten Suurballe (Lennart Brix - The Killing) who appears in a couple of episodes and Troels Munck (Buchard, Brix's predecessor - The Killing) briefly as a doctor.
The discovery of a body at the exact halfway point of the Oresund Bridge leads to the arrival of the Copenhagen and Malmö police forces who decide to work together to unravel the mystery. The finding on the bridge is actually the top half of a prominent Swedish politician and the bottom half of a Danish prostitute. This discovery is only the start for a chain of events which test the resolve of Martin (Bodnia) and Saga (Sofia Helin).
Both countries opted to stay out of the euro so we see Martin have to borrow some Swedish kronor from Saga while in Sweden. We also learn that as a Danish cop in Sweden, Martin is not allowed to be armed. To be fair although they both speak similar closely related languages and can understand each other nearly 100%, we learn that both Sweden and Denmark are more similar than both characters would think.
The production appears to be more Swedish than Danish through my eyes and more of the scenes take place in Sweden's third biggest city than in the Danish capital. That's not to say that all is quiet in Copenhagen - police corruption, riots, the killing of an immigrant, we also see how solid the marriage of our Danish cop is. Crossing the bridge we have a very different policewoman who is quite unlike any policewoman seen before on TV. When we see Saga out of business hours is when we discover the real lady and learn about how she became the way she is today. As with other Scandinavian series we are exposed to alot of character background which makes this a very solid drama.
Although DR and SVT are involved in the making of the series, independent production companies are involved too. As is standard with most DR dramas, each episode of this ten part series is around 58 minutes long and each hour spent watching this will fly by. This is certainly better than the vast majority of BBC and ITV drama output and Five and Sky's acquisitions from the US.
Apparently a second series has already been commissioned which is definitely something to look forward to. In the meantime I'm going to try some Danish drama set in the Fifties Krøniken (Better Times) Volume 1 (Episodes 1 & 2) (Import) (English Subtitles) part of the Better Times ( Krøniken ) ( Krönikan ) [DVD] collection.

The Bridge is to be screened on BBC4 in spring 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5 star thrilling crime drama, 3 Jun 2012
S. R. Cantle "Filmlover" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Hats off to the writers of this brilliantly constructed thriller series. On the credits there were a whole team of them, and that's got to be the way to craft such a complex original plot into such a must-watch television series. So often our own domestic tv crime drama is the work of a single person who can't possibly compete with a team creatively.

But to me it matters not a jot as clearly the BBC Acquistions team have shown they can spot brilliance in the output of other countries' television production companies. After 'Mad Men' 'The Killing' etc now we have 'The Bridge'. Over 10 episodes its a visual treat, with locations changing continously, with the combined Danish/Swedish police forces always several steps behind the fast-moving story. Character-development is a key ingredient and in this there are so many well-drawn characters to root for - just as in 'Mad Men'. I especially liked the Danish actor playing Martin, and also his mercurial wife, Messe, I think she was called. But there's many more to enjoy as the entwined plot unravels.

A DvD treat not to be missed

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Series, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This was the best series I had ever watched and when each episode finished I couldn't wait to see the next one. The suspense was terrific and the characters were charismatic and in some cases quite amusing. I couldn't wait to get this on DVD so that I could watch it all again.
If you like a good thriller, then this is definitely worth watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another super Nordic Noir, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Found The Bridge to be up to the usual great Scandinavian Crime standard. The characters grow on you as the series moves along. Malmo is used nicely as a gritty backdrop, the two main characters work of each other really well. For all lovers of the Killing and Spiral it will certainly be one to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally wonderful. Buy it!, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic. Best thing I have watched in ages; takes about twenty mintes to get into it - then you're hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
My other half bought this series on Itunes and I have to say I knew nothing about it. Being someone who hasnt yet watched The Killing I wasnt sure what to expect. I have to say it totally blew me away. We watched the whole 10 episodes in the space of 2 days, it was gripping, funny, emotional, wow it was just brilliant. Recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Predictable crime drama? - I don't think so!, 19 May 2012
It would be hard to write an in depth review without it containing "spoilers", suffice to say this is superior drama and well worth the investment of ten hours viewing. Do not fall for any derogatory reviews from those that were far too quick to give their opinion after just a few episodes, this is 'top notch' entertainment for those that are prepared to think about what they are viewing and not looking for another crime 'soap', complex characters and first rate acting are the order of the day, simply excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BRIDGE, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
ADORED THIS MINI SERIES WHEN IT WAS ON TV. WANTED TO WATCH IT AGAIN BUT OVER A BOX SET WEEKEND WITHOUT WAITING A WEEK FOR NEXT EPISODE. IF YOU ENJOYED THE KILLING, YOU WILL BE GRIPPED BY THIS STORY.

The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD]
The Bridge - Series 1 [DVD] by Charlotte Sieling (DVD - 2012)