1,008 of 1,033 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Super fast cleaning for your hard floors
The Vax S2S Bare Floor Pro steam cleaner is essentially an upgrade from the basic Vax steam cleaner. There are two main differences - the first is the introduction of the steam cleaning detergent and the other is the use of Velcro pads as opposed to those you slip over the end of the steam cleaner.

The premise is the same, you fill one tank with water, the...
Published on 2 Mar 2012 by FussyMissus

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job but poorly designed
I've had this for just 16 months and have been pleased with it BUT there are design issues that should be addressed.

1. If you are moving the lead and not holding on to the unit, it falls over.
Published 3 months ago by WelshLizzie

1,008 of 1,033 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Super fast cleaning for your hard floors, 2 Mar 2012
FussyMissus (Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vax Steam Mop - S2S-1 Bare Floor Pro With Detergent (Kitchen & Home)

The premise is the same, you fill one tank with water, the other with cleaner, switch on, wait a minute (it really IS that fast) and you are ready to go. You glide forwards pressing the steam button, and backwards picking up the resulting dirt - and believe me, no matter how clean you think your floor is, it is not that clean at all! The pads get dirty very quickly. The steam cleaning is quick, efficient, and if you don't overdo the swooshes of steam, the floor is pretty dry shortly after you have finished. SO much better than a mop!

The original hard floor steam cleaner used water only to clean the floor. Ok, the steam made it pick up more than the mop, but it was just, essentially, water. The addition of the cleaning fluid really does pick up more grime and grease than the previous steam cleaner, and it has a pleasant refreshing scent as you clean, making it smell cleaner as you work.
There is an attachment for refreshing carpets. It does NOT clean carpets. There are vax carpet cleaners for this job! However, the steaming of a carpet does kill dead any bacteria, and as this is what causes carpets to smell, it does kill dead any traces of floor smells. And before you think I am a cleaning nut, bacteria does appear on carpets from sweaty feet or paws, small particles of skin and sundry other items that wipe over its surface in the usual way of life. The steam cleaner does eliminate the smells but not the dirt on carpets.

I have a parquet floor as well as lino. On lino the vax S2S Bare Floor Pro steam cleaner performed wonderfully, almost made it into the corners, but did make it right up tight against the kitchen kickboards, which pleased me tremendously. On the parquet floor, the cleaning fluid worked nicely but it felt a little sticky afterwards so merited a swoosh over with a cloth afterwards to mitigate this. I would not recommend it for much use on parquet flooring.

The positive side of the vax S2S Bare Floor Pro steam cleaner are:
- Light
- Easy to put together
- Easy to manipulate when cleaning
- Fast startup time
- Ten mins of steam cleaning more than enough for the kitchen floor, utility and two bathrooms (it really is that fast)
- Quick cool down time after use
- Easy to clean the pads afterwards - just toss them in the washing machine (do not use conditioner) but make sure the cleaner is COOL before you try and remove them
- Small to store, hardly takes up any room
- No more smelly damp mops hanging around the house (I threw my mop and bucket away)

There are downsides though:
- Can be a bit fiddly to get the cleaner housing off the machine to fill it with cleaner, took a few tries, but once you get the hang of it, it works just fine
- The Velcro pads are fine in the beginning, but how long will the Velcro last I wonder? I also noticed that one of the pads kept slipping off as I worked. Easy to put back, but should not have happened.
- I would be concerned about the cleaning fluid. Nice idea, but you have to go to extra expense to use the cleaner, and the cleaning fluid is so much more expensive than the stuff you used in your mop and bucket.

Overall it is an excellent buy though, it cut my floor cleaning time down from a whole morning (cleaning and dry time) to about fifteen mins, including setup and cool down of the machine. It was stress free and so easy to use. Therefore, I highly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw your mop away !!, 10 Mar 2012
Hi I have just used the vax S2S Bare floor pro steam for the first time, I have never used a steam cleaner of any description before so did not know what to expect.

I spent 10 minutes reading the instructions and had no problem getting the cleaner ready to use; it was quick and simple to assemble. There are two cylinders on either side of the unit one for water and one for the cleaning solution, these slide off for filling. The unit can be used with or with out cleaning solution, which is great for a quick clean. Also cost effective. The micro fibre cloth literally sticks to the bottom of the cleaner & pulls off to be cleaned in the washing machine when it's dirty.

I started work on the kitchen floor tiles first. I have 2 dogs and 2 children so cream tiles perhaps wasn't the best choice, Anyway I'm constantly mopping and because I use so much pressure on the mop to remove marks I break the handles regularly.
How surprised I was to find that the steam cleaner actually cleaned the floor better and with out all the hard work, the head glided round the units with ease. I was able to use one hand to pull the trigger to release steam and to slide the cleaner back and forth & tougher marks came away with just an extra glide across them.
The floor was cleaned in half the time it takes me to mop as I didn't have to rinse and squeeze between each stub an mark.

The cleaner is quite trim so stores very well in my cupboard as it's no taller than a mop handle and the head is smaller than the bucket. You can even detach the handle from the cleaning unit and it would probably fit in a cupboard under the sink. The cable is ample long enough to get around with out changing sockets and stores on the unit between the two hooks on the handle.

The Instructions state you can re fresh carpets so I had a go in the toilet upstairs. For doing Carpets the unit just sits on to a plastic support so it doesn't actually attach in any way. I'm slightly concerned at how long this attachment may last, been plastic and loose, as I lifted the unit & the attachment remained on the floor and I almost stood on it.
Initially it didn't glide as well, as you'd expect. Once I got going with the steam building up onto the carpet in moved easier. The head again almost manoeuvres it self around objects I.e. the toilet in this case. I'm not sure that I could see a difference in the carpet but I could definitely could smell an improvement and knowing that its steaming the carpet I know that germs were been killed so this was quite satisfying.

The laminate in the family room cleaned equally as well as the kitchen. I also noticed that when I changed direction there was a small build up of Hair and dust that had been missed by earlier vacuuming but if I returned the cleaner over this dust it stuck to the micro fibre cloth. Result.

Its name says it all really bare floor steam cleaner. This is what its best at and I can tell you its going to save me a fortune in mop handles and time. I'm more than happy with the cleaning results. My floors smell great and are shinning not to mention germ free well until the dogs and kids get back in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job but poorly designed, 20 April 2014

1. If you are moving the lead and not holding on to the unit, it falls over.
2. The water and detergent bottles slide onto the front and back of the unit. These are nice and secure at first but the detergent one faces the floor and seems to have got loose with time. If this had happened in the first 12 month, it would be under guarantee but four months on and I'm stuck using a cord tied around the body of the unit to hold it in place.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, 28 Dec 2012
Does the job well enough however the handle is somewhat flimsy and doesn't feel very secure. Lightweight easy to use

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Best Friend, 6 April 2012
I bought my vax floor cleaner from Argos. It was the old model vax s2 I paid for and was given this upgrade with no comments made. I have a porcaelane floor for which no reviews have been left, So I was a bit worried about this. I have mastered a technique which works for me. I steam on the push away then release steam button when I bring the machine back towards myself. This works brilliantly as then the pads don't get too wet, and the floor stays dryer aswell. It was hit and miss as the first time my floor was dripping wet and I needed both pads. As it is a relatively new floor I cannot claim It has done wonders, However I have noticed that the grey grout now looks grey rather than white as before. I bake constantly and the flour seemed to stick to the grout with mop and bucket option now the flour is non existant which is a massive bonus. I have poor hand grip and severe pain so this was another worry. Well, It is easier to use than wringing out a mop and my button release technique means you actually only have to guide it where you wish with very little effort. I love this product as it saves time and is very easy for me to use despite my poor mobility and co-ordination. The other thing I will say if you are still there?... lol, Is I remove the detergant container and store it upside down until I need it again (Upright and it would leak), They show you a diagram of throwing liquid away then replacing container back to machine as you shouldn't leave water or chemicals in either container when not in use. This is a waste and expense. The water containers are a doddle to remove, You just stand over the machine, pull the container up towards you, then slide it back on when you replace it. I hope this has been informative to you as I love this product and feel it is worth the money and easy to use as well as doing a great job too. I have had this for four days at time of writing this review and I am still learning but I would buy again and wish I had bought it sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vax bare floor steam mop, 19 Jun 2012
J. Whitters (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
The Steam mop is every thing it said on the product page,I have arthritis in my hands and was looking for an easier way to clean the floors, I had no problem removing and replacing the water and detergent tanks, the pads did get very wet but only after cleaning 3 floors,my laminate and vinyl floors dried within minutes. Absolutely delighted with my steam mop, my friends and daughters are now looking for one. Definitely would recommend this steam mop

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely love it, 18 Jun 2012
what a god send, i LOVE this. i have wooden floors, not sure if they are sealed..... i also have tiles in the kitchen and lino in the bathroom and this works just as well on all 3.
i moved my fridge out ... you can imagine what was behind / under it. 2 mins with this steaming on it and the grime just lifted off, very impressive. I dont even mind doing the floors now!!

The cleaner that comes with it has a nice fresh smell, which is not too strong.

storage is easy and cleaning the pads easy too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superior floor steam cleaner., 5 Mar 2012
PureHeaven (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
I am so happy with my S2S Bare Floor Pro steam cleaner. It is the best one I have used.

I was delighted when I discovered the machine is free standing. My previous two cleaners did not have this facility and would fall to the ground if I didn't lean them securely against a worktop or piece of furniture.

The machine is also straight forward to set up and simple to operate. The water and detergent tanks lift off for filling and push back on again (the detergent tank gave some resistance on the first accasion it was removed but was fine afterwards) and it takes just seconds to position the microfibre pad beneath the footplate, you just place the microfibre pad on the floor and then put the steam cleaner on the top! I used to get so frustrated when attaching the cloth covers to my old cleaners as they were so fiddly; I would have to lay the machines on the floor and get down on my hands and knees to place the covers over the footplate. The Vax S2S Bare Floor Pro has an innovative gripping system instead. I also find the Vax S2S easy to manoeuvre over the floor and around the furniture. Dirt is removed with very little effort.

After use the microfibre pad is easily pulled off ready to be washed. This method of floor cleaning is far more hygienic than the old fashioned mop and bucket method - this is important for me as I have a cocker spaniel and a baby grand daughter.

The machine also comes with a non-toxic citrus scented detergent, which is optional as the cleaner can be set to use steam only.

As the S2S Bare Floor Pro steam cleaner is so quick to set up and easy to use, my floors are now spotless in half the time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cleaning Product!, 15 Feb 2012
This is a great product! Steam mops are a great idea and this one is the best i have used. It is easy to use and the cleaning pads are washable and re-usable. It only takes a minute to set up and you get over 10 mins of cleaning time, more than enough for the kitchen, bathroom and the mats in the hall! You can use it on hard floors, carpets and mats.

Whats realy different about this is the solution that leaves the floor smelling nice and leaves it germ free! Its got a 2 year gurantee and its a steal at 89.99

If you want to buy a team mop by this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good...., 29 Mar 2012
J. Collins "Jono" (UK) - See all my reviews
Being a man I'd naturally been gifted the task of putting it together... which is easy, just one click. My fiancee was out when I'd received delivery of it from Vax, so I thought I'd take it for a spin.

We'd been struggling somewhat with the floor over the winter as the cats brought half the garden in with them each time they came, I'd briefly toyed with the idea of rigging the steamer to the cat flap so it would steam them upon entry... I decided against this as I'd probably just end up with a pile of wet mice. I digress. My colleague bought the previous Vax hard floor cleaner and it was rubbish, so much so she's getting rid after just two uses, flexibility and maneuverability were the issues here, and although I had to will myself to put the chairs upturned on the table and the Chicken Doorstop on the side I found working round furniture and corners was a breeze...

It says it takes one minute to warm up and it's true to it's word, and after a quick hoover I was steaming like nobody's business. You must avoid the temptation to whizz it back an forth like a hoover, and avoid using soooooo much steam that the hallway turns into a nightclub. You only need a bit for the tough bits, the head stays warm and wet enough to act as a mop would. Fortunately it was better than mop, because it was expensive. I didn't get any straggly hairs or smears across the floor; the micro-fibre pad was even throughout.

The best thing of all is it looks like it might be made by Apple, so there's a chance you could con the kids into doing it for you. Shame you can't plug the Ipod in somewhere.

I had a little detergent over so I thought I'd have a go at the two-glass wine stain I'd graced the living room carpet with at new years, my mother's steamer failed miserably here and to be honest so did this. I wasn't expecting much, I'm now so used to the two tone Beige/Merlot effect it doesn't bother me much. So... I can't really say more about the carpet side of things, although the carpet slider bit was genius, I'll be using this when my Pool triangle breaks or gets lost, I might even have a go at the rest of the carpet when I've got more time and not got a pizza beeping at me from indise the oven. Plus it only takes a minute to heat.

No more gritty dirty laminate underfoot so I'm chuffed, thanks Vax!